• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you determine the value of a Signature?

74 posts in this topic

One time I was playing with a rotorcopter toy at the mall it kept going all the way to the top a crowd formed to watch it. One lady got enraged by it all and started telling me off.

Some people get furious when other people are having harmless fun.

Did you then crash it into her?

Ut oh, I'm losing control of it, and it's heading right for you lady, ruuunnnn!!!!

No one of the rotors landed by her table and she snatched it and put it in her purse-I couldnt figure out what happened to it one of the people watching told me afterword. When another rotor landed by her-they weighed about as much as a bottle cap btw-she lost it. It was clear she was fuming the whole time that I was having fun and so many people were enjoying it.

The attitude that 'I don't come to the mall to see people playing with damn roto toys and I won't have it!'

You know-the shriveled up old librarian attitude.

It was similar to this:

flying-whirly-wheel.jpg

No one of the rotors landed by her table and she snatched it and put it in her purse-I couldnt figure out what happened to it one of the people watching told me afterword. When another rotor landed by her-they weighed about as much as a bottle cap btw-she lost it. It was clear she was fuming the whole time that I was having fun and so many people were enjoying it.

The attitude that 'I don't come to the mall to see people playing with damn roto toys and I won't have it!'

It was similar to this:

flying-whirly-wheel.jpg

It would have been funny to watch her get chased out of the mall by a swarm of rotors

Oh, ok, I thought they were little remote controlled helicopters.

Sounds like the kind of person who will run outside and grab your ball and take it in her house if it lands in her yard while you are playing with it.

Every neighborhood has one.

It was similar to this:

flying-whirly-wheel.jpg

Did you give her a roundhouse kick? This story would be a lot better with a round house kick!

There are only 2 signatures that are appealing at all-Steranko and Frazetta.

Laughable. The there are tens of thousands of copies available of most books between 1970 and 1995. They were produced by a couple hundred really talented people. Want a copy of Outlaw Kid 8, Dragonslayer 1, or TTA 60. There are copies on EBay every day. Want a copy with a witnessed signature from Herb Trimpe, Earl Norem or Ayers? If you don't have or can't pry one out of a collection, you'll never get one.

There is a world of difference between not liking to see high grade keys signed (I don't either) and maligning signed books with such a broad brush.

By appealing I meant look attractive. The actual signature.

I don't dig SS books, but I like Simonson's sig a lot. I have it on a couple of hardcovers, I could probably be talked into buying a SS book with his dinosaur on it.

I would rather NOT have a signature, and don't bid on SS books because of it. Using Stan Lee as an example, in 20 years key Marvels without his signature will be worth more, and there will be fewer of them.

I would rather NOT have a signature, and don't bid on SS books because of it. Using Stan Lee as an example, in 20 years key Marvels without his signature will be worth more, and there will be fewer of them.

No, not really.

Signed comic books suck!

Oh, I have to partially disagree. Large cover signatures in a tomb, I would probably agree with. But others done well on the right item are pretty cool...

Recently found "in the wild" I bought a stack of '50's MAD imators at a show for a good price and found this in the pile. Didn't really look at it until I got home and saw this. (Does not suck at all to me)

commad1b_zps7dmpsrwz.jpg

commad1a_zpsclgq9nmm.jpg

No, not really.

Agreed --- even if every Signature Series book was signed by Stan Lee, there are 20 universal slabs for every 1 signature slab for books from the 1960s and 1970s.

For keys, it's:

6:1 for Amazing Fantasy #15 (6 universal for each 1 signature)

6:1 for Amazing Spider-Man #1

7:1 for Daredevil #1

6:1 for Fantastic Four #1

6:1 for Fantastic Four #48

5:1 for Avengers #1

7:1 for Incredible Hulk #1

8:1 for Journey into Mystery #83

10:1 for Strange Tales #110

7:1 for Tales to Astonish #27

6:1 for Tales of Suspense #39

5:1 for X-Men #1

I figured as much. It's personal preference and not to say I don't have blue label but I do enjoy ss books more. I've never bought an ss but I've had books from my own personal collection get the ss treatment. Someone mentioned Simonson, had him sign Thor 337. Sentimental value, book was passed down to me from my older brother when I was old enough to appreciate the book.

Either way, was curious how to determine price. I've tried to talk myself into selling before but can't get myself to that point. Thanks folks.

There are only 2 signatures that are appealing at all-Steranko and Frazetta. Stan Lee's scribble is just godawful. When he adds cockaroaches it's even worse.

I like the sigs of Jack Kirby, Todd McFarlane and Frank Brunner. I dislike the sloppy Stan Lee sigs that are far too common. :headbang:

No, not really.

Agreed --- even if every Signature Series book was signed by Stan Lee, there are 20 universal slabs for every 1 signature slab for books from the 1960s and 1970s.

For keys, it's:

ratios are just a point of view. these numbers have been clearly fabricated by the liberal CGC PC SS Police to make you think that there aren't as many CGC SS out there so that you're more likely to pay for yours to get signed. They won't be happy until every gay or black person has a CGC SS Key signed by Stan Lee.

No, not really.

For keys, it's:

ratios are just a point of view. these numbers have been clearly fabricated by the liberal CGC PC SS Police to make you think that there aren't as many CGC SS out there so that you're more likely to pay for yours to get signed. They won't be happy until every gay or black person has a CGC SS Key signed by Stan Lee.

Yep, never argue with people who ignore facts. Things that are made up can have supernatural powers... and poor old facts just can't compete. (thumbs u

No, not really.

For keys, it's:

These are interesting ratios.

And even at these ratios, that's waaaaay too many SS books. Especially the Spidey, Iron Man, Avengers, FF and X men books. 5 to 1? Come on. doh! Once these artifacts are written on they can never be un-written on. 20% of a mega key's population lost to SS just seems like over kill and unnecessary IMO.

-J.

I know I have said this in another thread but when I look at the cover of a comic book I want to see all the artwork. I would much rather get a HB or TPB signed by the artist, writer than anything. It does not take away from the aesthetic of what is usually a classic cover.

It's amazing but it's like the usual suspects must troll these boards looking for anything with the word "signature" in the thread title and then wade in with their tiresome anti SS ranting. Can't you guys just go away and take your tired bickering somewhere else? We would like at least one SS thread to ourselves. Sigh.

Cheers, Howard

It's amazing but it's like the usual suspects must troll these boards looking for anything with the word "signature" in the thread title and then wade in with their tiresome anti SS ranting. Can't you guys just go away and take your tired bickering somewhere else? We would like at least one SS thread to ourselves. Sigh.

Cheers, Howard

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=58&page=1

(thumbs u

-J.