• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got the Fantastic Four Omni!?!

22 posts in this topic

First and foremost, I'm a Spidey reader and collector. I'm also a purest. I own very few Spidey reprints and refuse to buy them. I love the feel, smell, and experience of reading the actual issues. I bought an OO collection of silver ASMs off my LCS years ago. My LCS was surprised when I'd said I'd never read them.

I've read a few issues of the FF run from reprints as I've been a modern FF reader for 10-15 years.

Having said all the above, I've read very little Kirby silver books. Again, what I read was probably reprints. A year or so ago, Chip sent me a bunch of Kamandi issues. Needless to say I was blown away.

So the FF Omni has been in my Amazon wish list for months. I ordered it from some second party and it took forever. It was/is my summer treat to myself. I'm about to crack it open and I'm a bit excited.

What should I expect?

I don't know....I'd rather read comic book format reprints rather than the Omnibus.

To read FF #1 to #116 in reprints here's the list for you if you want comic book format reprints.

FF # 1 reprinted in Marvel Milestone Edition FF#1

FF #2, 3, 4 reprinted in MCIC #1, 2, 3

FF #5 reprinted in Marvel Milestone Edition FF #5

FF #6 reprinted in FF Annual #3

FF #7, 8, 9, 10 reprinted in MCIC #4, 5, 6, 8

FF #11 reprinted in FF Annual #3

FF #12 reprinted in MGC #29

FF #13 reprinted in MCIC #7

FF #14, 15, 16, 17, 18 reprinted in MCIC #9, 10, 11, 12, 13

FF #19 reprinted in Giant-Size Avengers #2

FF #20, 21, 22, 23, 24 reprinted in MCIC #14, 15, 16, 17, 18

FF #25, 26 reprinted in FF Annual #4

FF #27, 28, 29, 30 reprinted in MCIC 19, 20, 21, 22

FF #31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 reprinted in MGC #23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

FF #37, 38 reprinted in MGC #30

FF #39, 40 reprinted in MGC #31

FF #41, 42 reprinted in MGC #32

FF #43 reprinted in FF Annual #9

FF #44, 45 reprinted in MGC #33

FF #46, 47 reprinted in MGC #34

FF #48 to 54 reprinted in MGC #35 to 41

FF #55 reprinted in MTA #1

FF #56 reprinted in MGC #43

FF #57, 58, 59, 60 reprinted in MTA #1, 2, 3, 4

FF #61 to 71 reprinted in MGC 44 to 54

FF #72 reprinted in MGC #42

FF #73 to 93 repinted in MGC #55 to 75

FF #94 (original comic, never reprinted in standard comic book format)

FF #95 to #100 reprinted in MGC #76 to 81

FF #101 reprinted in FF #180

FF #102 to 116 reprinted in MGC #82 to 96

Marvel Collectors' Item Classics = MCIC

Marvel's Greatest Comics = MGC

Marvel Triple Action = MTA

FANTASTIC FOUR = FF

First and foremost, I'm a Spidey reader and collector. I'm also a purest. I own very few Spidey reprints and refuse to buy them. I love the feel, smell, and experience of reading the actual issues. I bought an OO collection of silver ASMs off my LCS years ago. My LCS was surprised when I'd said I'd never read them.

I've read a few issues of the FF run from reprints as I've been a modern FF reader for 10-15 years.

Having said all the above, I've read very little Kirby silver books. Again, what I read was probably reprints. A year or so ago, Chip sent me a bunch of Kamandi issues. Needless to say I was blown away.

So the FF Omni has been in my Amazon wish list for months. I ordered it from some second party and it took forever. It was/is my summer treat to myself. I'm about to crack it open and I'm a bit excited.

What should I expect?

Expect the absolute best. It's the best comic books have to offer as a medium. That run set the standard.

When you're done with the Kirby run (Omnibus #1 & 2, I believe) then you should read the Byrne run if you haven't already.

What should I expect?

zzz

2c

I'm in the same boat. I find much of the Silver Age output boring (especially Amazing Spider-Man.) But, the Fantastic Four comics are truly the best early Marvel had to offer. I think if you are going to read any Silver Age Marvel comics, the FF are the books to read.

Just all around some of the best stuff ever done. Kirby's creative panels and splashes are jaw dropping.

I think it gets a lot better after FF annual 2 which is a little after issue 30. I never was a big FF fan but decided to pick up a TON of Marvel reading material including FF 1-120+ along with both Byrne Omnibuses. Over all I do find the FF better than a lot of other Silver Age Marvels. Just seeing the X-Men in guest appearances reminds me of how they were. Sorry for those who love them but they got canned for a reason with that line up...

FF # 35 to 67 are pure gold, the dialogue may be dated but the story telling was great. FF started to pick up steam with # 25 but when it got into the Inhumans, Dragon Man, Frightful Four, etc it just kept going. :cloud9:

If you enjoyed the silver age Spidey's you will enjoy the FF too! Both great silver age titles. As someone else mentioned if you have not yet read the two John Byrne Fantastic Four omnibus' grab them as well. It is one of my most favorite runs. I think I enjoyed it more then Claremont and Byrne on X-Men.......well definitely a tie.

I read the eraly FF in black and white essential reprints, I do need to purchase the omnibus' soon.

ENJOY!

What should I expect?

Should expect from the first omnibus this kind of style.

Day_the_Earth_Stood_Still_1951.jpg

MV5BMTMxOTc2NzgxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzYxNDcyMg@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

51V74S2DZAL.jpg

The first omnibus has that 1950s science-fiction feel to it.

The big payoff is the second FF OMNIBUS.

That`s were Kirby takes it to another level

That`s were you see the greatness. (thumbs u

The second compared to the first is like experiencing watching a HDTV Blu-ray after having standard dvds.

So if you can get thru the first omnibus you will be rewarded in the second.

:cloud9:

I enjoyed the first issue. It was slow, but I expected that.

Things that surprised me:

Ben Grimm: I always thought him and Reed were friends. Ben is sort of an hole.

Johnny: He was pretty vapid.

The Cover: It is such an iconic cover. However, people always complain how modern covers usually have nothing to do with the story. Doesn't the cover give the appearance of the monster attacking the city? That never happened. If anything, Ben Grimm attacked the city.

If you were a ten years old looking thru the comics rack, that cover would have caught your attention.

Alex Schomburg may be the most highly regarded cover artist of all -time and his covers rarely had much to do with the stories inside.

FF # 35 to 67 are pure gold, the dialogue may be dated but the story telling was great. FF started to pick up steam with # 25 but when it got into the Inhumans, Dragon Man, Frightful Four, etc it just kept going. :cloud9:

Of course it‘s "dated", they are from 1962-1970. (: