• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is San Diego Going?

176 posts in this topic

Chuck Rozanski has a series of videos on how SDCC is from his POV. Not OA centered of course and Chuck definitely has an opinion on the show. :smile: However, it does give an interesting view of the con.

• - His setup is amazing. 94K comics from 1983 on. Selling for as little as $1.50.
  • - Tour of SDCC floor and his POV on Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, and others
  • - Chuck's booth, comments on SDCC giveaways, media area, toy area
  • - Full booth (okay, 7 booths of 10x10)

This is a really interesting series. Thanks for posting this!

I thought so, too. It's not OA, but it is interesting. Thanks for letting me know someone else enjoyed it.

BTW, our local fish wrap, the Houston Chronicle, offers this click bait - Women of SDCC.

40 grand for a mid run micronauts... seems fair

That's tip money baby!! TIP MONEY!!!

throwing-away-money.gif

Gene congrats on your new Micronauts cover!

I passed on this one...I only buy them in packs of 5 at at time.

Gene, is the rumor I heard true about next year the show putting OA dealers on the second floor of the convention center to, ya know, accommodate the height of their hopes?

lol

In all seriousness, I'm hearing anecdotally that this was a very slow show for OA dealers. I'm not surprised - within my circle of collector friends, last year I think everybody bought a decent amount of art, whereas this year, one guy had some pre-arranged buys and another guy bought one decent sized piece and one smaller piece, but pretty much everyone else I know walked away with nothing or close to nothing (I spent about $550 on a sketch and a commission piece) in terms of OA. One person did buy a very pricey Han Solo costume, though (yes, I'm calling you out...Ronan Killack!!) :baiting:

Another thing was that I saw a lot fewer of the SDCC regular attendees at the show this year than I have in recent years (I have several friends who are mainstays who took the year off, for example). Not sure if that's a function of SDCC tickets and rooms being so hard to come by, or better Con alternatives (esp. with the NYCC and NJ shows becoming so popular), people getting older and/or people getting burned out or tapped out and just needing a break. (shrug)

Sticker shock this year was worse than in any other year by far. That's not just because prices are higher than ever, but some dealers really jacked up prices when I think many (most?) people have come to grips with the reality that the overall market hasn't really done all that much since last year, so the cognitive dissonance was severe. If you think auction prices are strong these days, they look positively pedestrian compared to where a lot of dealer inventory at the show was priced at (let's just say that that the $40K Micronauts cover was the tip of the iceberg). As one person put it, it seemed like everything was priced for a fishing expedition. It really was egregious, and I think a lot of people just shrugged and decided to enjoy themselves at the show instead of sweating OA purchases. 2c

I was going to ask if much of anything is actually trading hands at these prices listed. Most of the prices I saw posted looked absurd evn accounting for those who have money to spend. You of course answered this question to a T. I'm just going thow this out there. Micronauts is such a small window of nostalgia and all Golden is a upper level artist but far from the top...I did paying more than 5K or that cover silly so I guess I could see an avid Micronatus collector going a bit higher but 40K? I was born in 1983 (I'm already 32!) and could not tell you one single thing about the Miconauts with any certainty.

I was going to ask if much of anything is actually trading hands at these prices listed. Most of the prices I saw posted looked absurd evn accounting for those who have money to spend. You of course answered this question to a T. I'm just going thow this out there. Micronauts is such a small window of nostalgia and all Golden is a upper level artist but far from the top...I did paying more than 5K or that cover silly so I guess I could see an avid Micronatus collector going a bit higher but 40K? I was born in 1983 (I'm already 32!) and could not tell you one single thing about the Miconauts with any certainty.

I am a huge Micronauts. It came out when I was in my early teens. I loved the early issues for the comic, bought all the toys I could afford and would love to own a cover from the series. All that said, I wouldn't pay anywhere even close to $40k for that cover (not even $10k) which I guess ultimately means I will never own it.

(I spent about $550 on a sketch and a commission piece) in terms of OA.)

If you think auction prices are strong these days, they look positively pedestrian compared to where a lot of dealer inventory at the show was priced at (let's just say that that the $40K Micronauts cover was the tip of the iceberg).

So, the Micros cover DIDN'T sell? I wasn't sure if there was kidding going on or not...

EDIT just saw above, thanks.

Andrew

These sticker prices from Dealers just seems like the last gasp for the final death knell for the majority of them. The only site I check with an regularity is Romitaman despite some mumbling a of exaggerated prices I dot find them that bad and he still posts great stuff. There are dealers who were once strong whose sites are filled with such drek I can't bring myself to even wade through it all.

I recently had a dealer contact me about the Norem Wendigo painting from the 90's X-Men trading card set. I will pay silly prices for some of these. I figured silly would be like 3K...I was offered it for over 6K. This was before Norem even passed. I was told the painting was an unpublished Monsters Unleashed cover which is the ony reason i could even see that asking price, however I found that claim to be an absolute crock. The size seemed a little too small for a 70's magazine cover painting, there is no provocative woman in the image. More importantly if you look at Norem's published Wendigo Monster's unleashed cover Wendigo looks more like the 70's Trimpe version while the painting used for the trading card looks more like the Byrne version which wouldn't have been seen until after Monster's Unleashed was canceled. Norem also did another painting for this set Omega Red who wasn't even created until a few years earlier meaning he did new work for this set.

I promptly turned the piece down and offered the 3K for the Larkin Magneto which was in a private collection and not for sale. Better piece with an A list villain from a comparable artist and the price was accepted immediately because the owner realized how silly it was.

BTW the dealer was NOT the Donnelly Brothers which would probably be everyone's guess.

Koch/Thibodeaux:

20150709_125747.jpg

Seeing is believing :o

sticker-shock1_zpshsfnkuat.jpg

StickerShock512.png

shocked_lady.jpg

Modern kids saving up for some comic book art

weimarplay.jpg

If such prices should represent general comic art prices in the near future, of course original comic art may still be considered relatively inexpensive compared to other kinds of art... And I do like Barry Smith's art more than Vincent van Gogh's art (thumbs u :facepalm:

Did anyone see any Marvel Magazine Cover paintings for sale? Its like trying to find a hen's tooth when it come them coming to market. I am always on the lookout.