• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book(s) could be the next More Fun 73?

57 posts in this topic

Agreed, AS8. Gal looks great on the EW cover IMHO.

As far as Tec 38, potential for sure but, (cover your ears GAtor) :gossip: Robin's got to get in a Movie or television production to put it over the top. Nothing to do with 'casual' movie goers. well healed/hard core collectors and investors would respond to that VERY well.

All Star #8 has already bumped up to about double what it was going for two years ago. Not sure if it would bump up that much more. It might continue to rise, but I don't see the kind of quadrupling in one year that we saw with More Fun #73. I would say to have that kind of a rise it would have to be one where we don't know they plan to use a character in a movie and suddenly decide to. Specter? Sandman? Dr. Fate? Maybe they will decide to go in a mystic direction like Marvel did with Dr. Strange and we'll see a large bump in Zatara's first appearance? ;)

All American 19

The Atom? Why, specifically? I've got #20, maybe I should go ahead and get me a 19 to go with it.

I assume the thinking here is that DC seems to be following Marvel's lead with respect to the movies.

Since the Avengers was such a big hit, DC is coming out with the Justice League. Hence, if Ant-man is successful this summer, then maybe DC would follow it up with the Atom.

But isn't the GA Atom different from the SA Atom, like most of DC's other characters?

So.....are we all in agreement that GA books are not immune or independent from alternative media hype, and in fact do benefit greatly like books from all the other "ages" now? (shrug)

-J.

No, not really..........I would say that More Fun 73 appears to be the exception to the rule.

Can you think of another GA book that has made a major move up due to movie or TV related hype? What season of Arrow are we on now and why has there been no significant movement on MF 73 until this year?

Are we onto Season 2 of the Flash and I haven't noticed any real upswing in prices for the early GA Flash comics. Same thing with Black Adam's first appearance in Marvel Family 1, although there certainly does seem to be an immediate jump in prices for his BA Shazam appearance issues.

Have you considered the possibility that MF 73 at only $35K in the 2014 guide has long been an under appreciated and undervalued book relative to the other DC first appearance issues? For example, even the first appearance of Hourman in Adventure 48 was miles ahead as it clocked in at $57K. Another first appearance of a secondary character was the Atom in AA 19 who managed to squeezed in just under the wire at $41K. No need to talk about the Sandman and the Spectre who are well into the 6 figures with their first appearances and multiples of what the first appearances of Green Arrow, Aquaman, and Speedy was going for.

So.....are we all in agreement that GA books are not immune or independent from alternative media hype, and in fact do benefit greatly like books from all the other "ages" now? (shrug)

-J.

Green Arrow and Aquaman have been good solid B characters for years.

They never went away.

If we think about they are more popular than former A characters like Buck Rogers,Flash Gordon and Tracy who all seemed to have faded.

I would say the key for a Golden Age character to be resurrected big is to have ties with Marvel or DC.

-J.

No, not really..........I would say that More Fun 73 appears to be the exception to the rule.

Can you think of another GA book that has made a major move up due to movie or TV related hype? What season of Arrow are we on now and why has there been no significant movement on MF 73 until this year?

Are we onto Season 2 of the Flash and I haven't noticed any real upswing in prices for the early GA Flash comics. Same thing with Black Adam's first appearance in Marvel Family 1, although there certainly does seem to be an immediate jump in prices for his BA Shazam appearance issues.

Have you considered the possibility that MF 73 at only $35K in the 2014 guide has long been an under appreciated and undervalued book relative to the other DC first appearance issues? For example, even the first appearance of Hourman in Adventure 48 was miles ahead as it clocked in at $57K. Another first appearance of a secondary character was the Atom in AA 19 who managed to squeezed in just under the wire at $41K. No need to talk about the Sandman and the Spectre who are well into the 6 figures with their first appearances and multiples of what the first appearances of Green Arrow, Aquaman, and Speedy was going for.

Good points.

Also a key point here is both Aquaman and Green Arrow debuted in the same comic book,so a double whammy.

Also a key point here is both Aquaman and Green Arrow debuted in the same comic book,so a double whammy.

Coupled with the fact that both of these characters were still around in the DC SA in one form or another. Actually, more of a triple whammy as it was also the first appearance of Speedy although he never amounted to much and I've always hated teen sidekicks.

Out of all the More Fun's, this was definitely one of the books at the top of my want list back in the day. Unfortunately for me, I never really wanted to spend more than around a thousand or two at the max on a book, and any I found at that price were just not quite in nice enough shape.

I guess it was my loss for being too nit picky at the time. :cry:

Unfortunately for me, I never really wanted to spend more than around a thousand or two at the max on a book, and any I found at that price were just not quite in nice enough shape.

I guess it was my loss for being too nit picky at the time. :cry:

There are SO many books I could say that about!

I would have built a run of pre-Robin Tecs 15 years ago if I'd been willing to accept low-grade or even mid-grade copies, but I never saw any high-grade copies w/o resto. Now I can't even afford the low-grade copies that occasionally come along! :cry:

-J.

There's more than just MF 73

Flash Comics #86

Batman #59

Detective 58

Superman 76 and World's Finest 71

-J.

There's more than just MF 73

Flash Comics #86

Batman #59

Detective 58

Superman 76 and World's Finest 71

Are you sure these four books are now selling for quadruple what they were going for last year?

Are they really going for double digit multiples to guide across all condition grades? (shrug)

All were clearly impacted by the upcoming movies/TV.

Quadruple? No not all, but all have had a huge jump in the last couple years because of the movies/TV shows

But I would pay 4X the 2014-15 guide for

WW 98 (Although that's Silver) or Flash 86

Maybe 3X for Batman 59.

I'd pay 2X for Action 23

Action 23 would have been a killer book to get 2/3 years ago.