• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book(s) could be the next More Fun 73?

57 posts in this topic

All were clearly impacted by the upcoming movies/TV.

Quadruple? No not all, but all have had a huge jump in the last couple years because of the movies/TV shows

But I would pay 4X the 2014-15 guide for

WW 98 (Although that's Silver) or Flash 86

Maybe 3X for Batman 59.

I'd pay 2X for Action 23

Action 23 would have been a killer book to get 2/3 years ago.

Do you think the prices on Batman #59 will come back down? That one's been high on my want list for years (because of the cover—I couldn't care less about Deadshot or whatever his name is). I passed on a few different high-grade copies because the staples were about 1/4" or more onto the front cover instead of going through the spine.

Quadruple? No not all, but all have had a huge jump in the last couple years because of the movies/TV shows

Maybe 3X for Batman 59.

I'd pay 2X for Action 23

Yes, but weren't these always in-demand issues that generally always sold for a healthy premium to guide anyways, even before the movie/TV related hype. Are there any recent sales or auction results which indicates that these particular books are now selling for multiples to guide.

Now in the case of More Fun 73, this was also a book that traditionally traded for a premium to guide and one which has recently clearly blown through the roof with several recent auction results at double-digit multiples to the 2014 guide across a wide range of condition grades, as clearly seen in the following post (with multiples calculated by yours truly):

CGC 8.0 99K 6/05/15...............or at 7.6X condition guide price;

CGC 5.5 52K 6/10/15...............or at 10.5X condition guide price;

CGC 5.0 74K 3/30/15...............or at 16.4X condition guide price;

CGC 3.5 38K 11/20/14..............orat 12.1X condition guide price; and

CGC 3.0 23K 5/28/15...............orat 8.5X condition guide price.

Now that's what I call a clear and evident impact of movie/TV related hype on a book! :o

Maybe 3X for Batman 59.

I'd pay 2X for Action 23

Do you think the prices on Batman #59 will come back down? That one's been high on my want list for years (because of the cover—I couldn't care less about Deadshot or whatever his name is). I passed on a few different high-grade copies because the staples were about 1/4" or more onto the front cover instead of going through the spine.

....that problem is SO common on that issue. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

More Fun is the biggest jump, but all of these books have at least doubled recently because of movie hype, and in some cases went up 4X+.

Just look at GPA.

For example Batman 59 jumped from $393 in 2013 to $1,500 in 2015 (Jan) 5.0

The last 4.5 went for $1700 in May. Guide is $225, so that's almost 8X guide.

Yes it's clearly because of the movie.

Maybe 3X for Batman 59.

I'd pay 2X for Action 23

....that problem is SO common on that issue. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Problem? I adore off-centre staples, but prefer them on the back.., no staple tears. Maybe I should find myself a copy after the movie tanks.

So.....are we all in agreement that GA books are not immune or independent from alternative media hype, and in fact do benefit greatly like books from all the other "ages" now? (shrug)

-J.

I would say the key for a Golden Age character to be resurrected big is to have ties with Marvel or DC.

It would most definitely help if the GA character had ties to Marvel or DC, although I feel that this is not an absolute requirement.

For example, take a look at some of the first appearances in the early Valiant books and how their prices have started to ramp up based upon movie speculation.

Not exactly sure why, but whenever I think about the Black Panther, the character that also comes to my mind is the Phantom. I believe if they try to make another movie with the Phantom, with the current movie hype environment in full force, both the SA Gold Key and GA Ace Comics versions of this character will see significant increases in price.

Especially with respect to his overall first appearance in Ace Comics #11 which came out even before Action Comics #1. Like More Fun 73 before, this is definitely another under-appreciated and undervalued book, especially since it hardly ever comes to market, but when it does seems to have no problems fetching multiples of guide.

Ok, maybe it's starting to be recognized a bit as I just noticed that in the latest Overstreet, the top of guide valuation has gone up by a full 50%.

So.....are we all in agreement that GA books are not immune or independent from alternative media hype, and in fact do benefit greatly like books from all the other "ages" now? (shrug)

-J.

I would say the key for a Golden Age character to be resurrected big is to have ties with Marvel or DC.

It would most definitely help if the GA character had ties to Marvel or DC, although I feel that this is not an absolute requirement.

For example, take a look at some of the first appearances in the early Valiant books and how their prices have started to ramp up based upon movie speculation.

Not exactly sure why, but whenever I think about the Black Panther, the character that also comes to my mind is the Phantom. I believe if they try to make another movie with the Phantom, with the current movie hype environment in full force, both the SA Gold Key and GA Ace Comics versions of this character will see significant increases in price.

Especially with respect to his overall first appearance in Ace Comics #11 which came out even before Action Comics #1. Like More Fun 73 before, this is definitely another under-appreciated and undervalued book, especially since it hardly ever comes to market, but when it does seems to have no problems fetching multiples of guide.

Ok, maybe it's starting to be recognized a bit as I just noticed that in the latest Overstreet, the top of guide valuation has gone up by a full 50%.

I agree. Try finding an Ace 11 for anywhere close to "guide." Ace 26 is super tough too.

Police Comics #1

No movie hype at this time, but all of my kids know who Plastic man is, and the book has been htf, at least in my experience!

There is a really good un produced -script for a Plastic Man movie that has been floating around for years, depending on who owns the rights to the character that could be a good long shot bet.

First off, we're in the right place. The 'Gold Forum'. I've never even once entered the Silver Age or Bronze Age forums. No need to. Sure I started out collecting those....but I graduated to only collecting Golden Age books. And wised-up. Why collect Silver and Bronze when there's many hundreds of high-grade hidden copies out there that will be showing up on the census over the next 40+ years??

Well....you can still have fun and make money. But Golden Age is the real place to be.

Any Justice Society founding member has the chance to explode in value. First appearances, that is. Blue Beetle. Plastic Man for sure. Basically you guys are on the right track.

Last but not least....I've always loved 'cameo' appearances. Or ad appearances. To me, an appearance is an appearance. You can get those for a fraction of the price. Someday the hobby will come around to recognizing those. Especially blatant ones like Wolverine; I don't care what anyone says. His first appearance was in Hulk 180. Not any debate in my mind. It's only debatable when the character is so small and looks different. But when he's big and exactly the same, that's him.

First off, we're in the right place. The 'Gold Forum'. I've never even once entered the Silver Age or Bronze Age forums. No need to. Sure I started out collecting those....but I graduated to only collecting Golden Age books. And wised-up. Why collect Silver and Bronze when there's many hundreds of high-grade hidden copies out there that will be showing up on the census over the next 40+ years??

Well....you can still have fun and make money. But Golden Age is the real place to be.

Any Justice Society founding member has the chance to explode in value. First appearances, that is. Blue Beetle. Plastic Man for sure. Basically you guys are on the right track.

Last but not least....I've always loved 'cameo' appearances. Or ad appearances. To me, an appearance is an appearance. You can get those for a fraction of the price. Someday the hobby will come around to recognizing those. Especially blatant ones like Wolverine; I don't care what anyone says. His first appearance was in Hulk 180. Not any debate in my mind. It's only debatable when the character is so small and looks different. But when he's big and exactly the same, that's him.

I don't think anyone debates Wolverines first appearance (even if only a cameo).... his first cover and full story just have WAY more demand (always have and trending to continue)...

an ad or preview is great and can make a particular issue more desirable to some...but it "isn't" a character in a comic story, so will never (likely) hold the same (or even close to) weight (IMO)

Police Comics #1

No movie hype at this time, but all of my kids know who Plastic man is, and the book has been htf, at least in my experience!

True, and I'd add the first issue of PM (Vital, NN) with Jack Cole cover and stories. Hard to ignore Cole's take on the character if the film has any chance of success.

Also, I'd add MM #13 to the list of upwardly mobile possibilities. hm

With the Vision's appearance in the recent Avengers movie and popularity of Joe Simon & Jack Kirby's creative genius, the GA introduction of the character has strong potential for increased interest. My 2c

a9c979f1-b019-435a-bfb7-817b1fdddf8c_zpsfe83945f.jpg

Police Comics #1

True, and I'd add the first issue of PM (Vital, NN) with Jack Cole cover and stories. Hard to ignore Cole's take on the character if the film has any chance of success.

Also, I'd add MM #13 to the list of upwardly mobile possibilities. hm

With the Vision's appearance in the recent Avengers movie and popularity of Joe Simon & Jack Kirby's creative genius, the GA introduction of the character has strong potential for increased interest. My 2c

a9c979f1-b019-435a-bfb7-817b1fdddf8c_zpsfe83945f.jpg

That really is a great book man!!

I think the next More Fun 73 will be the Sleeper Key

****** All Star Comics #36 *******

$_35.JPG

The first meeting of the DC Trinity (Superman / Wonder Woman / Batman)

(See the link below for details)

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2015/03/28/when-we-first-met-wonder-woman-superman-and-batmans-first-meeting/

There are currently 37 Blue labels on the CGC census. Which is comparable to the Detective Comics issues 27-37 in regards to scarcity. It is a significant key that has not been properly identified in the Overstreet Price Guide so, if word gets out the potential for growth is there. It contains the first meeting of three of the most popular characters of all time. The Batman vs. Superman movie will probably depict the All Star meeting on film very soon.

This book is the next Willy Wonka Gold Ticket book !!!!!!!

Thoughts??

Batman-vs-Superman.png