• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2015 photos & impressions

124 posts in this topic

image.jpg1_zpsr94dkiqk.jpg

Guiness?

Nope. Only slightly above average intelligence. Very personable though (thumbs u

Hope you have a great time David. Keep the pics coming please.

Aren't you wearing your "been there-done that" tee shirt Dave ??

Early Friday morning lines for the super secret dealer basketball game behind the convention center...

eae6beb7-6bcd-4f46-a0fa-41cd67a1dd5c_zpsm8v7hfmz.jpg

lol ya.... I'll bet

I thought it was actually a little easier to get around this year than in year's past...

Louise said the same thing. The aisles weren't as crowded. I wonder if it's because there was more to do outside the convention center than previous years where everyone was concentrated inside.

I do think that the con has gotten to the point over the last few years where you can't see everything like other cons. You have to prioritize and make sure you get to what you want. Blink and you miss it.

You should have been there in '77 :cool:

Here is my take on San Diego.

The attendance and the LOCATION make San Diego a very attractive place to do business.

I'm one to believe that the Retailer waiting list to get into San Diego has nothing to do with who the retailer is.

If there are gaming companies or somebody in front of a comic dealer then they are getting the next available booth space.

Greg Reece can't get into the show, he has been on the wait list for 3 years. People complain the comic dealer area is shrinking but frankly why has it taken so long for Greg to get in? I'm sure there are other retailers on the list that can't get in either.

San Diego Comicon run anywhere else makes it just another trade show. There is nothing special about San Diego Comicon except the LOCATION. I love San Diego because I love the city.

I love Wondercon in SAN FRANCISCO. Anaheim may be very accomodating to the promoters but the food choices suck and Disneyland brings NOBODY to the show. If the San Diego promoters are so great how come they can't replicate San Diego in San Francisco, Anaheim and next year in Los Angeles? I've done Wizard LA shows, let me tell you that I'm not anticipating a good show there.

Put San Diego in Las Vegas and ask me why I would do the show? Vice and comic dealers/collectors don't mix very well.

I like Wizard Chicago in Rosemont because of the location and everything is within walking distance. But Reed Chicago in downtown Chicago is different because the restaurant choices are much more diverse in the city than Rosemont.

Baltimore Comicon is a great show but frankly walk a few blocks in the wrong direction and you are in some of the scariest neighborhoods out there. Does Baltimore have 70 degree weather and sunshine all year round?

Reed NY Comicon, As a New Yorker all I can say this is one city that doesn't care one bit about the convention business. Nothing around the Javits center supports the convention center. NY doesn't exactly offer the same 70 degree and sunny LOCATION that San Diego does.

Denver, MegaCon, Emerald City and some of the New show giants - Ok, I want to go to Denver, smoke some weed and buy some books. Emerald City is a ok show but Seattle is not San Diego. Neither is Megacon, the Maze of comic conventions. I can see why Fan Expo bought this show. Maybe the build a maze is the Fan Expo business model of choice.

spirit trumps all. always has.... always will

NY doesn't exactly offer the same 70 degree and sunny LOCATION that San Diego does.

The weather in NYC in October isn't bad and there certainly isn't a shortage of restaurants or non-comic things to do.

NY doesn't exactly offer the same 70 degree and sunny LOCATION that San Diego does.

The weather in NYC in October isn't bad and there certainly isn't a shortage of restaurants or non-comic things to do.

The last few Octobers in NYC during the Reed show have had their share of both wet and cold weather.

True about the weather, but restaurants near the Javitt's bunker? ...Really? hm

The last few Octobers in NYC during the Reed show have had their share of both wet and cold weather.

The wear your Birken socks with your sandals, hippie. :baiting:

The wear your Birken socks with your sandals, hippie. :baiting:

We hippies have to stand together even if we're considered hair looms. :sumo:

Right on, far out & groovy! :foryou:

I've been going to SD Comic Con for about 5 years now and while every year is a spectacular and surreal experience, this year I turned to Louise during the show at one point and said to her "this show is just getting too big".

Lo and behold, I wasn't the only one that feels that way.

A very well written article on the show by someone who has been there.

How’s Your Show? A Comic-Book Writer’s Thoughts From on the Ground at a Rapidly Changing Comic-Con

good article, but one thing I would point out, as people often do in many fields, the author extrapolates trends too far.

I think its mostly just about a market finding equilibrium. Things got so expensive and big, especially for the top line advertisers, that they moved on. That doesnt mean its going to die, just that inflation of prices eventually pushed things past the limit.

As the big companies like Marvel, Disney, Image, etc, start to run their own events (instead of paying someone else's profits, and to avoid competing for attention) and save the big announcements for those venues, and as movie studios stop spending as much to advertise at comicon, the prices will eventually peak and start to decline.

An equilibrium will be found as in all markets, for if the prices ever fell too far lots of people would be waiting to step in and fill the void. Con went through a serious decade plus boom and growth cycle and probably hit a peak, even if there is some downward trajectory at some point, it will just be cyclical like all markets, and not a terminal end.

It's New York! You gotta walk a little!

This from a Canadian? :D

I had no idea that the Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu had been to Javits Center! :o

I had no idea that the Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu had been to Javits Center! :o

I believe it was old Jacob himself who once said, "A journey of 20 blocks to a nice restaurant begins with a single step."