• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2015 photos & impressions

124 posts in this topic

2015 highlights of SDCC's hoop legends from the Golden Age of spurts (complete with crime scene tape)...

No one ever said you had to be an athlete to collect comics I guess.

Collecting comics is a lifelong marathon requiring even more stamina. :headbang:

I've been going to SD Comic Con for about 5 years now and while every year is a spectacular and surreal experience, this year I turned to Louise during the show at one point and said to her "this show is just getting too big".

Lo and behold, I wasn't the only one that feels that way.

A very well written article on the show by someone who has been there.

How’s Your Show? A Comic-Book Writer’s Thoughts From on the Ground at a Rapidly Changing Comic-Con

I've been going to SD Comic Con for about 5 years now and while every year is a spectacular and surreal experience, this year I turned to Louise during the show at one point and said to her "this show is just getting too big".

How’s Your Show? A Comic-Book Writer’s Thoughts From on the Ground at a Rapidly Changing Comic-Con

Great read.

SDCC didn't seem bigger than the previous couple of shows to me. Yes, it's BIG, and in some areas it's tough getting around, but that's the nature of the beast. All things considered, this is one of the best run conventions in the country in spite of it's size.

From discussions with other comic dealers at the show the consensus seems to be that business was up from last year which will probably keep 'em coming back as long as the booth costs don't gobble up the bottom line. But given the volume of folks attending, I can certainly relate to the attitude that too much of a good thing is still too much.

Thanks for linking the article. It's great to read different accounts of the event. I don't agree with the author's POV, but I can certainly empathize with it.

From my perspective moving SDCC would be a catastrophically bad idea. What San Diego provides in terms of restaurants near the convention, locations for public & private parties, transportation to and from the convention center and of course the temperate climate makes much of the crunch worthwhile. Of course, everyone's mileage varies as do the interests that draw folks to SDCC in the first place.

We're also going to Chicago Wizard next month. I haven't attended the past two years due to scheduling conflicts, but it's a fun show. Our decision to go was made this week, which is pretty spontaneous for us. Contrasts/comparisons between the two shows should be interesting.

I thought it was actually a little easier to get around this year than in year's past...

Louise said the same thing. The aisles weren't as crowded. I wonder if it's because there was more to do outside the convention center than previous years where everyone was concentrated inside.

I do think that the con has gotten to the point over the last few years where you can't see everything like other cons. You have to prioritize and make sure you get to what you want. Blink and you miss it.

15th year at SDCC for me... 2nd year with my new daughter (she was 4mo last year lol)

Its definitely different... i used to get irritated at people with strollers (i still do) even though im now one of them xD

but getting around was actually pretty easy. my wife and i noticed (the first 3 days at least) most people were super nice about it and even helped clear a path every now and again...

but sunday....

oh man...

Sunday was a completely different beast... its like all the crazies waited till the last day to stampede around. people walking over the stroller (sorry, sorry... i apologize like crazy when walking with the stroller... i feel bad about it lol ) but people just didnt care there was a 1 year old chilling there...

Overall i had a great time, people were great, the baby actually did amazing (slept pretty much half the time... and we were there the full 9-7)

98JNSUS.jpg

Even dressed her up as deadpool!

MXdmRxj.jpg

(Posted some of these over in the show yourself thread)

7uRZPfZ.jpg

lcSiB2y.jpg

5NtfSLk.jpg

UeWhkZ6.jpg

Continuing our tradition of SDCC every year... looking forward to it next year!!!

15th year at SDCC for me... 2nd year with my new daughter (she was 4mo last year lol)

Its definitely different... i used to get irritated at people with strollers (i still do) even though im now one of them xD

but getting around was actually pretty easy. my wife and i noticed (the first 3 days at least) most people were super nice about it and even helped clear a path every now and again...

but sunday....

oh man...

Sunday was a completely different beast... its like all the crazies waited till the last day to stampede around. people walking over the stroller (sorry, sorry... i apologize like crazy when walking with the stroller... i feel bad about it lol ) but people just didnt care there was a 1 year old chilling there...

Overall i had a great time, people were great, the baby actually did amazing (slept pretty much half the time... and we were there the full 9-7)

98JNSUS.jpg

Even dressed her up as deadpool!

MXdmRxj.jpg

(Posted some of these over in the show yourself thread)

7uRZPfZ.jpg

Continuing our tradition of SDCC every year... looking forward to it next year!!!

WOW awesome man .

Here is my take on San Diego.

The attendance and the LOCATION make San Diego a very attractive place to do business.

I'm one to believe that the Retailer waiting list to get into San Diego has nothing to do with who the retailer is.

If there are gaming companies or somebody in front of a comic dealer then they are getting the next available booth space.

Greg Reece can't get into the show, he has been on the wait list for 3 years. People complain the comic dealer area is shrinking but frankly why has it taken so long for Greg to get in? I'm sure there are other retailers on the list that can't get in either.

San Diego Comicon run anywhere else makes it just another trade show. There is nothing special about San Diego Comicon except the LOCATION. I love San Diego because I love the city.

I love Wondercon in SAN FRANCISCO. Anaheim may be very accomodating to the promoters but the food choices suck and Disneyland brings NOBODY to the show. If the San Diego promoters are so great how come they can't replicate San Diego in San Francisco, Anaheim and next year in Los Angeles? I've done Wizard LA shows, let me tell you that I'm not anticipating a good show there.

Put San Diego in Las Vegas and ask me why I would do the show? Vice and comic dealers/collectors don't mix very well.

I like Wizard Chicago in Rosemont because of the location and everything is within walking distance. But Reed Chicago in downtown Chicago is different because the restaurant choices are much more diverse in the city than Rosemont.

Baltimore Comicon is a great show but frankly walk a few blocks in the wrong direction and you are in some of the scariest neighborhoods out there. Does Baltimore have 70 degree weather and sunshine all year round?

Reed NY Comicon, As a New Yorker all I can say this is one city that doesn't care one bit about the convention business. Nothing around the Javits center supports the convention center. NY doesn't exactly offer the same 70 degree and sunny LOCATION that San Diego does.

Denver, MegaCon, Emerald City and some of the New show giants - Ok, I want to go to Denver, smoke some weed and buy some books. Emerald City is a ok show but Seattle is not San Diego. Neither is Megacon, the Maze of comic conventions. I can see why Fan Expo bought this show. Maybe the build a maze is the Fan Expo business model of choice.

I thought it was actually a little easier to get around this year than in year's past...

Louise said the same thing. The aisles weren't as crowded. I wonder if it's because there was more to do outside the convention center than previous years where everyone was concentrated inside.

I do think that the con has gotten to the point over the last few years where you can't see everything like other cons. You have to prioritize and make sure you get to what you want. Blink and you miss it.

That's what I attribute it to, as well. All those big displays outside (like the HEROES big screen outside Hard Rock), used to be INSIDE and clogged up aisle traffic. Also, a lot of the freebies are now given away outside, so there are more people leaving the hall to chase those. I definitely appreciated the lighter traffic inside the hall the last couple of shows.

I've been doing the show for 20+ years (my first one was 1989, the summer of Batman). The SAME criticism has been around for almost that entire time: The show is too big, it's too expensive, there's not enough comics, etc. I would say that's all valid. I wouldn't argue against any of it. But it's still hands-down my favorite show around. Nothing else comes close. Now, I'm not sure I would be as enthusiastic if I had to sleep overnight to secure tickets or what not. But as long as I'm able to get in as I have been, I'm going to keep going. It's the show all hardcore comics/pop culture fans should try to experience at least once in their lives.

The attendance and the LOCATION make San Diego a very attractive place to do business.

Yup. Near flawless weather, small town feel and the entire city becomes Comic Con all for one week. You couldn't replicate this show anywhere else, that is true.

I'm one to believe that the Retailer waiting list to get into San Diego has nothing to do with who the retailer is.

If there are gaming companies or somebody in front of a comic dealer then they are getting the next available booth space.

Greg Reece can't get into the show, he has been on the wait list for 3 years. People complain the comic dealer area is shrinking but frankly why has it taken so long for Greg to get in? I'm sure there are other retailers on the list that can't get in either.

San Diego Comicon run anywhere else makes it just another trade show. There is nothing special about San Diego Comicon except the LOCATION. I love San Diego because I love the city.

I love Wondercon in SAN FRANCISCO. Anaheim may be very accomodating to the promoters but the food choices suck and Disneyland brings NOBODY to the show. If the San Diego promoters are so great how come they can't replicate San Diego in San Francisco, Anaheim and next year in Los Angeles? I've done Wizard LA shows, let me tell you that I'm not anticipating a good show there.

Put San Diego in Las Vegas and ask me why I would do the show? Vice and comic dealers/collectors don't mix very well.

I like Wizard Chicago in Rosemont because of the location and everything is within walking distance. But Reed Chicago in downtown Chicago is different because the restaurant choices are much more diverse in the city than Rosemont.

Baltimore Comicon is a great show but frankly walk a few blocks in the wrong direction and you are in some of the scariest neighborhoods out there. Does Baltimore have 70 degree weather and sunshine all year round?

Reed NY Comicon, As a New Yorker all I can say this is one city that doesn't care one bit about the convention business. Nothing around the Javits center supports the convention center. NY doesn't exactly offer the same 70 degree and sunny LOCATION that San Diego does.

Denver, MegaCon, Emerald City and some of the New show giants - Ok, I want to go to Denver, smoke some weed and buy some books. Emerald City is a ok show but Seattle is not San Diego. Neither is Megacon, the Maze of comic conventions. I can see why Fan Expo bought this show. Maybe the build a maze is the Fan Expo business model of choice.

It's always great to hear your take on the con experience. You are ( to me) the barometer of which all others should follow.

It's always great to hear your take on the con experience. You are ( to me) the barometer of which all others should follow.

What???

What???

Sellers man,sellers. :whistle:

What???

All potential sales and profits go down the drain?

What???

Have you been drinking?

All I said was he's a good dude,who dictates his business in a proper manner.

You forgot about all the great dinners with fantastic friends

What???

Have you been drinking?

All I said was he's a good dude,who dictates his business in a proper manner.

Yes, and what???