• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone else been watching this Silver Age eBay Lot - Best I've ever seen!

48 posts in this topic

I have been watching this and am not sure how i feel about this.

One one hand it has potential to be a decent, not great, price on alot of key books and silver age backstock

On the other hand I have to question how someone could drop that much coin on books i couldnt see personally.

Plus, it kind of skews the value of the market a little since the prices would be drastically different if bought separately.

No way I'm dropping $12- $15K on a large batch of random books if people are buying out whole walls of Con show books for that amount that they can see and grade in person.

That is essentially my thought on this. I can walk into a show with 15 grand and walk out with MUCH better books than this and I can see them. There's very little meat on the bones left with this - as already said the ASM 1 is a nice book, but you're not moving if for a lot, and everything else will take some time.

I have been watching this and am not sure how i feel about this.

One one hand it has potential to be a decent, not great, price on alot of key books and silver age backstock

On the other hand I have to question how someone could drop that much coin on books i couldnt see personally.

Plus, it kind of skews the value of the market a little since the prices would be drastically different if bought separately.

How's that?

That is essentially my thought on this. I can walk into a show with 15 grand and walk out with MUCH better books than this and I can see them. There's very little meat on the bones left with this - as already said the ASM 1 is a nice book, but you're not moving if for a lot, and everything else will take some time.

That's why I don't bother with Neat Stuff auctions. There is simply no meat on the bone.

I'm sure if I made an appointment with Brian, I could walk away with a hand chosen group with more value for less money.

Only if you are trying to maximize profit. You can flip this in a month for double what it is currently going for. Just list it all on ebay, individual book per auction for anything that will sell for $10 or more and bundle up the left over crapola in lots. There are a lot of $50-100 books in here and some $100+ material.

It just depends on how much work you want to do and if you are willing to put in the amount of work this particular lot will take for probably around $10K in profit.

Is it the best use of $12K in starter money? Probably not. But that doesn't mean someone won't be able to make a decent profit on it. Problem is that this won't finish at $15 per book given it still has a whole day of bidding left.

Please someone correct me wrong. Didn't I have seen this auction with all the comics before? I remembered had seen this last year or more.

Anyway.... I don't have 12 K loonies to throw around! :insane:

I take offense to calling the seller a "hoarder," I like to call it being a completist!

I usually see these and they never come close to the reserve. It will be interesting to see how high it goes considering the batch contains a ton of less desirable titles like later issues of TAA and TOS.

I agree that low grade TOS and TTA are a tough sell, but that's in VG or less. If graded accurately, mainstream Marvel in VG+ through VF is right in my wheelhouse, and also for a number of other boardies whose name I despise seeing in a sales thread! :D From a previous discussion where you were baffled by buyers turning down a NM copy of a book to take a FN copy instead, it's clear you don't cater to the "nicely presenting copy at a discount" crowd, but it's all good, sellable material.

I've often wondered about the relative scarcity of 2.0 vs 4.0 vs 6.0 books. I've found that 6.0 books are much harder to find than the price difference between them and 2.0 books really reflects. I look through boxes of books at my local conventions and often find almost no 6.0 or better SA books compared to box after box of 2.0-3.0's.

That's why I don't bother with Neat Stuff auctions. There is simply no meat on the bone.

I'm sure if I made an appointment with Brian, I could walk away with a hand chosen group with more value for less money.

Yeah, but shipping is free!

Why not eat the cost of a plane ticket and inspect the books firsthand.

if someone has that kind of money to throw around, their time might be too valuable for that.

if someone has that kind of money to throw around, their time might be too valuable for that.

If you have 20k to blindly buy a collection on eBay, you can drop a few hundred on a plane ticket to see the goods in person. No doubt likely that you'll be able to haggle with the seller too since they aren't eating ebay and PayPal fees.

If you have 20k to blindly buy a collection on eBay, you can drop a few hundred on a plane ticket to see the goods in person. No doubt likely that you'll be able to haggle with the seller too since they aren't eating ebay and PayPal fees.

I think he's suggesting that throwing 20k at an ebay auction is such a small deal to that buyer, that it's not worth flying out to look at the books.

I don't disagree, but lets say you're an surgeon or corporate lawyer, make tons of money, but no private jet. You've got a house 2 kids, 12-15hrs a day job, a dog.

Try telling your wife and your girlfriend that you need 10 hours to fly half way (or all the way) across the country for some comics that you may or may not buy from a stranger. Driving to the airport, plus getting there early, plus flight time, plus getting to middleton, plus time inspecting comics in the house of a stranger (who might be some type of anti-social weirdo) who knows you're rich, plus carrying the boxes back, getting back to the airport early, luggage check, first class tickets (because you're rich), getting back home, meals. You've just paid an extra $1,000 and minimum 10 hours (you get paid $800 per hour anyways) for the chance to save $5,000, and lost 10 hours with your wife and/or girlfriend and kids and dogs, which also would be quite tiring. Or you could sit back and wait for it in the mail, and just return it if you decide its not worth it.

Especially when you're really rich, you can always make more money, but the time....

lol Someone in that pay grade is not buying low grade common silver age on eBay.

Uhhhh... why not? Not buying them to flip, sure. But why wouldn't someone that is "rich" buy low grade silver age because they just like comics and want to read them?

lol Someone in that pay grade is not buying low grade common silver age on eBay.

Uhhhh... why not? Not buying them to flip, sure. But why wouldn't someone that is "rich" buy low grade silver age because they just like comics and want to read them?

I agree.

Some of the richies have forgone comic interests for many years and are now due to media acceptance starting to get back into them...if I was a little unsure of value but recognized lots of keys from my childhood in that lot, I'd be comfortable bidding on an ebay auction to make me think I was getting something near fair value.