• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thread Closed w/ Explanation. Thank You.

84 posts in this topic

I would encourage everyone to remember that scarcity doesn't mean high demand and therefore high dollars.

If a book is scare, BUT no one is really looking to buy a copy of the book then you may not be able to receive you asking price even if it's "fair" based on an established "multiplier". I dislike the use of multipliers for anything more than a starting price when it comes to titles that aren't rabidly collected.

Of course this doesn't excuse poor behavior on the part of the offeror, but is something to think about when establishing prices.

Not be a wet blanket, but I auctioned a 9.4 FC 1270 in early 2014 on CLink and it went for about $200.

$300 is definitely low, but not totally insane either.

It feels pretty insane. Like you said it certainly low, but low by how much. Feels like he needs to double it to get into range.

There are 4 9.4's like you sold.

1 9.6

and

0 9.8's

I think the premium is more than 1.5x for a sole top census copy.

I know it's not Neal Adams Batman, but my Mass Peds top census copies were, in some cases, 10x the grade just below it.

I would encourage everyone to remember that scarcity doesn't mean high demand and therefore high dollars.

If a book is scare, BUT no one is really looking to buy a copy of the book then you may not be able to receive you asking price even if it's "fair" based on an established "multiplier". I dislike the use of multipliers for anything more than a starting price when it comes to titles that aren't rabidly collected.

Of course this doesn't excuse poor behavior on the part of the offeror, but is something to think about when establishing prices.

True, except sole top census copies tend to get people interested who don't normally collect that stuff and the people that collect that stuff are absolutely crazy for these types of books when they do come out. Add in that this isn't some 80's book but an early 60's book and you've got a recipe for that status as sole top census copy to remain in effect. All factors that bump competition for a book that might not get much play otherwise.

By the way Jeff, I had dinner with Annie Gaines Ashton, Bill Gaines's widow, last Friday night. She gave me some pretty neat stuff that belonged to Bill. ;) She is a sweet lady. She brought one of her daughters and I took all of my girls.

Not be a wet blanket, but I auctioned a 9.4 FC 1270 in early 2014 on CLink and it went for about $200.

$300 is definitely low, but not totally insane either.

Which of course, is why I never do auctions that start below my lowest acceptable price. :) I'd just as soon keep a book then undersell myself. :grin:

SOLD!!!!!

:tonofbricks:

congrats!

like others have said, the rudeness and the need to 'explain' things are what I have a problem with.

Sellers can price however they like for whatever reason they like, its not anyone else's duty to 'educate' them. Whether the price was reasonable or not, they don't deserve rudeness on pricing. I do think in some cases its not unreasonable to point out one's own rationale for an offer price, but it should be done politely and with respect, and in a way that you personally would appreciate were you the seller.

"Of course its obviously your right to price this item at $XXX price, but I feel that my offer of $XXX is reasonable, given comparable sales of THIS and THIS recently on ebay, and the GPA price of THIS semi-related comic. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but that's how I arrived at my offer price. Thanks for your time and consideration."

SOLD!!!!!

congrats!

like others have said, the rudeness and the need to 'explain' things are what I have a problem with.

Sellers can price however they like for whatever reason they like, its not anyone else's duty to 'educate' them. Whether the price was reasonable or not, they don't deserve rudeness on pricing. I do think in some cases its not unreasonable to point out one's own rationale for an offer price, but it should be done politely and with respect, and in a way that you personally would appreciate were you the seller.

"Of course its obviously your right to price this item at $XXX price, but I feel that my offer of $XXX is reasonable, given comparable sales of THIS and THIS recently on ebay, and the GPA price of THIS semi-related comic. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but that's how I arrived at my offer price. Thanks for your time and consideration."

That makes sense. Be respectful, etc.

I just don't know if there's a respectful way to make an offer that's 70% off the seller's asking price without them being offended. lol

If opinions are that diverse from the get go perhaps it's best for both parties if the potential buyer just moves along without throwing the offer out there.

looking at comps for other lone top census high grade Four Colors (ie #1166 Rocky and his Friends) lone 9.8 sold for $1004 in 2013.

your 1k for lone top 9.6 plus it being a file copy... well it seems reasonable.... as opposed to the offer...

Dont forget the old "I have a GPA subscription" line...

Oh...he threw the old GPA chestnut out there, don't worry.

I have GPA too....but I didn't want to brag to him that I have 10.95 a month to spend as well. lol

SOLD!!!!!

congrats!

That makes sense. Be respectful, etc.

I just don't know if there's a respectful way to make an offer that's 70% off the seller's asking price without them being offended. lol

If opinions are that diverse from the get go perhaps it's best for both parties if the potential buyer just moves along without throwing the offer out there.

Yah I should have been more clear. I think I mean in very obvious cases where some would be asking $20,000 for an ASM 300.

"Hi, no disrespect, but this comic in this grade commonly sells for $1,000 as you can see from these ebay sales and gpa. Therefore, my offer is $1,000. Of course, its your comic and you should get a price your comfortable with. THanks for your time."

The only thing I don't get is why you closed the thread? Just because someone made a low ball offer and was rude?

Only partially.

700.00 was as low as I was willing to go. I wan't seeing any action in the two days it had been on the boards, not a single pm either, so I decided to pull the book. Once I received the low-ball, I have to admit it irritated me, and I then I definitely decided to remove the book at that moment. So, I was originally going to pull it, just not as quickly. The low-ball and attitude that came with it changed that, and I felt it needed to be shared. Hence the "explanation".