• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thread Closed w/ Explanation. Thank You.

84 posts in this topic

They then chose to inform me that my initial asking price was laughable

My opinion is that the word laughable would have been better left out but I probably wouldn't have started a thread about it.

Water under the bridge. Everyone has a bad day and most people on here are good people. Even the best of people can get under each other's skin sometimes, often without realizing. it.

I didn't start a thread about it. I started a thread in order to try and sell one of my books. It devolved into this because of someone's inability to act in a civilized manner and I called them on it.

I guess I'm stuck on two things

1)What does a lowball offer and you getting your feelings hurt have ANYTHING to do with selling the book in this thread? Are you still trying to sell it? If so why pull it?

2) From my perspective it seems like you actually tried to sell a book at a very inflated price, got a low offer and diverted attention from the inflated price book to try and put attention on the buyer trying to get the book on the cheap.

I buy very little off the boards, almost nothing. But this has been an interesting lesson to me. My instinct if I ever see you put another book up for sale is that you will probably be asking way too much.

You probably never should have even mentioned the guy making a $300 dollar offer. This might be more damaging to you than to whoever it was you were upset with.

That is the last I have to say. Best of luck-

This has become tiresome...and boring.

I am sorry if I should not have shared what I considered rude behavior on another person's part. I was raised differently and I sometimes have a hard time dealing with people who come across as entitled and condescending. This was not what I wanted to have happen in my sales thread . Not in the least. I will ask that we please move along from this. I have more books to offer in the coming weeks, and I do not want this to be a carry-over issue.

Thanks to those of you who defended me.

Do NOT move to New York City! :eek:

• Administrator

I am locking this thread. Normally, I would just trim the discussion out, but there is something productive in the back and forth to help the community sort out how to handle negotiations where the starting points of the buyer and seller are far apart. Suffice it to say that opinions vary. If, as sellers you want to preserve the right to name your own price without being attacked, then protect the rights of the buyers to do the same. It sounds to me like one party or the other (and likely both) simple took either the asking price or the offer as an insult and that lead to the snarky tone of the exchange.

I imagine that who thinks who was rude first is going to be highly effected by the reader's opinion of whose price was uninformed. However, the better position is that neither the ask nor the offer are insults - no matter where they fall.

That having been said, though, purely from a moderation stand point -

Do not use sales threads as discussion topics to criticize buying offers. If you must discuss something like that, you can either take it to the probation thread if it involves naming an individual, or you could address it without names as a more general "how to handle X situation" thread elsewhere - like comics general.

We don't allow people to criticize a seller's pricing publicly in selling threads, and the same should apply to a buyer's offer.

As a reminder: don't start threads explicitly to bash other members.

Thanks