• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers/Buyers Etiquette or the lack of in recent times...

87 posts in this topic

As a "low post" boardie I thought I would pipe up.

I have several completed sales on here, though mostly through PM. Including several higher dollar items. I mostly just look at the Want to Buy posts. And I have also bought quite a few things.

Most of the scam listings, spam listings, and just generally bad listings on here seem to be ferreted out fairly quickly. Either by people asking questions in the thread, or by pointing out the violations of the rules themselves. I think a lot of what eventually turns into "This guy ripped me off!!!" is really more like "I tried to rip this guy off on an item that was 10% of FMV and he didn't send it to me!!!"

Of course that is not all of them, but come on.

Some sort of limit would be good. It would be difficult to implement on the Tech side, but it would undoubtedly help.

But a Post Count? Given how many times I come on here and see a new listing with 28 comments and think, "Man, there must be a lot of good stuff in there to look at!" only to see 27 people saying WOW!......GLWTS!.....IF I ONLY HAD MONEY!.....MAN THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!...............

Well. Hopefully one can see that Post Count as related to ability to buy or sell competently is not exactly linear.

And now, I return to not posting this all the time. rantrant

I'm all for a minimum post count before you can sell.

nice comic

hm

lol just pointing out how post counts might not be the best gatekeeper. :foryou:

Yeah, post counts are easily acquired.

We had a guy here create a program a year or so ago that automatically posted in the test area. He went from zero to something like 1,000 posts in one day. :)

Others have done it manually, posting "nice books" and smileys all over the place just to participate in the old PIF thread.

None of this would matter if buyers took some responsibility for their actions. Don't buy from people you don't know, and don't throw money at sketchy deals unless you're willing to deal with the consequences. And then, don't come running to the Probation area looking for justice afterwards if you do. In the end, this is shifting the cost of having to deal with this mess from the individual to the community because of poor decisions and calculated risks.

Personal responsibility, you say??

Researching a seller, you say??

BALDERDASH! POPPYCOCK! People need their easy-to-reference, "quick-fix" lists! Due diligence is a waste of time!

:sumo:

:tonofbricks:

(I greatly apologize to anyone who is terribly offended by my heavy-handed, but oh-so-terribly-accurate-and-dead-on sarcasm. :foryou: That should appease the "everyone wins a trophy" crowd. )

I've always thought the boards did an outstanding job of policing themselves. We watch out for scams and are quick to call people on them. Heck we even have a few detectives here that have found the shills for banned members within 24 hours.

The bigger issue is people wanting to throw money at a person with Kool Books, Bomics, or any of the like. If we could show some discretion and ignore those deals, then we'd be fine.

I've even encountered low post or newer people and asked for references or an eBay handle in the same name. Once I had a WTB thread and got a bunch of offers. One guy made one that was too good to be true and I kept asking for references. He never provided anything and I went on my way.

Adding regulations to newbs will only further the Ole' Boys Club mentality of several users. It would also make more work for the moderators which I don't think they'd go for.

ive just used common sense in my transactions here. I know which boardies ive met at cons and can trust and usually use their knowledge of folks on the board as well. Simply put if im not familiar with you on the boards i probably wont buy your books.

As if we need a reason. :headbang:

yep, I'm drinking right now waiting for the Peter The Little Pest last issue I bough off eBay from ya!

The red headed Dennis the Menace ripoff, you gotta love it!

:cloud9:

:roflmao: Good luck!

Kidding...on it's way. Hope it made it out Kansas without melting.

I vote for 6 months, minimum. That'll weed out 99% of the *spoon* *spoon* *spoon* *spoon* *spoon*.

+1 to 6 months.

+2 (thumbs u

I'm all for this.

I've also said in the past that having someone use either a credit card or a valid phone number for registration purposes only, meaning there are no charges, just to validate identity, would also weed out a lot of riff raff as people would think twice about scamming someone once there is another connection to themselves other than just an IP address.

+3 Above, and +1 to Roy's comment.