• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bechara Maalouf.....

97 posts in this topic

So many games out there whether or not we even know we are playing them. I prefer to be more straightforward and timely but there is something to be said for poor customer service lol

No different than trying to score with hot girls (or let's say those a few notches out of your league). Brassy and nonchalant go a long way, even longer in tandem :)

yup

Not only that but when you deal with someone who is really difficult (not saying Bechara specifically) they have you by the balls on price. On your end you've put a bunch of mental energy into it; it becomes a harder deal to walk away from whether you realize it or not.

Still, the piece I'm considering is not very expensive and I do not mind paying the full price.

Hmm, justifying to self hm

:insane:

Not only that but when you deal with someone who is really difficult (not saying Bechara specifically) they have you by the balls on price. On your end you've put a bunch of mental energy into it; it becomes a harder deal to walk away from whether you realize it or not.

Still, the piece I'm considering is not very expensive and I do not mind paying the full price.

Maybe lol I'm bad at haggling, I may try to get 10 or 15 % depending on the piece and price - and then it's not so hard to accept the full price :angel: Now a response that would make me unhappy from a dealer would be "uh, forgot to update the website, you're looking at the old price - price has just increased to ... " :censored:

Maybe lol I'm bad at haggling, normally I just try to get 10 or 15 % - then it's not so hard to accept the full price :angel: Now a response that would make me unhappy from a dealer would be "uh, forgot to update the website, you're looking at the old price - price has just increased to ... " :censored:

If that's you, I would just suggest dealing with someone that better suits your style, burley maybe. Someone who is like what bechara is being described as (I've never dealt with him so the descriptions are secondhand to me) will eat you for breakfast :insane:

Maybe lol I'm bad at haggling, normally I just try to get 10 or 15 % - then it's not so hard to accept the full price :angel:

hm

Guess you're right that when approaching the speed of light Newtonian mechanics will no longer work :sorry:

Maybe lol I'm bad at haggling, normally I just try to get 10 or 15 % - then it's not so hard to accept the full price :angel:

hm

Guess you're right that when approaching the speed of light Newtonian mechanics will no longer work :sorry:

whooooosh...

that was the sound of a science-based analogy going way way over my head

Just talked to Bechara - he seems like a really nice guy. I'm guessing that he does not need to sell any art to make a living, and that selling art is more like a hobby to him, thus he's not in a hurry. He told me that he also collects art and has a 5 times larger inventory than shown on the website.

He did ask me if I was looking for more pieces - but I look for love at first (or second) sight :cloud9: So without being able to check out a lot of pieces, customers like me are kind of lost...

He did promise to get back to me, so interesting how it will all turn out :wishluck: (My wife was also very hard to get, but I'm used to going through a lot of trouble to get what I really love :acclaim::) )

Now I'm wondering if the "justification of effort" principle is increasing my enjoyment of a piece I may not really need hmlol

"Effort justification is an idea and paradigm in social psychology stemming from Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance. Effort justification is people's tendency to attribute a greater value (greater than the objective value) to an outcome they had to put effort into acquiring or achieving."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effort_justification

“effort justification” … now there is a name to the tactic! I just figured it was playing hard to get. There is a lot of truth to this and I have heard many a story of “dealers” deploying this tactic.

I think we need a thread on all these jedi mind tricks

hm

whooooosh...

that was the sound of a science-based analogy going way way over my head

Sorry - the picture was an attachment - difficult to include:

photo 158772_zpsp241qzhb.jpg

My analogy was just that when reaching very high prices new rules of haggling may apply ;)

If that's you, I would just suggest dealing with someone that better suits your style, burley maybe. Someone who is like what bechara is being described as (I've never dealt with him so the descriptions are secondhand to me) will eat you for breakfast :insane:

Burkey is absolutely great - but I choose the pieces, not the dealer ;) (alright, I'll eat those words again - there are indeed some dealers out there I'm avoiding)

Burkey is absolutely great - but I choose the pieces, not the dealer ;)

"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy’s will to be imposed on him."

If you don't like how a negotiation/battle is going, change the field. If you only engage a guy in a way he is comfortable and expert at, then you are playing on his field by his rules and you should accept that you are going to "lose" most likely. Not exactly new advice, but its shocking how right this concept actually is.

hm

Bechara normally puts up the price when I turn up :boo:

He has to charge VAT to European buyers. :P