• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bechara Maalouf.....

97 posts in this topic

Maybe lol I'm bad at haggling, normally I just try to get 10 or 15 % - then it's not so hard to accept the full price :angel:

hm

Bechara normally puts up the price when I turn up :boo:

He has to charge VAT to European buyers. :P

But art is just 5 % VAT - CGC books are 25 % over here. Guess the ones making the legislation care for art, not books hm

Just giving you a hard time ;) For me life's too short to deal with BS but I get that sometimes the need is strong. Good luck.

I don't mind and thanks. I see this potential purchase as some kind of fun experience - not sure I'll end up getting anything, but I love surprises ;)

Got the art from Bechara today :)

It did take some time to get - and due to a delay in shipping, Bechara paid for FedEx Priority shipping (out of his own pocket), so I'm very thankful for that (this was an international transaction and private persons may pay about $200 for such shipping - but then Scandinavia is just 36 hours away ;-)

So all went well - again, he seems like a really nice guy, although some patience, persistence and a phone may be required (the 3Ps :gossip: ).

BTW, I did not buy anything special - just a fun piece that my 8-year-old son really loves (he complained that I did not own a cover showing a big monster)

Got the art from Bechara today :)

It did take some time to get - and due to a delay in shipping, Bechara paid for FedEx Priority shipping (out of his own pocket), so I'm very thankful for that (this was an international transaction and private persons may pay about $200 for such shipping - but then Scandinavia is just 36 hours away ;-)

So all went well - again, he seems like a really nice guy, although some patience, persistence and a phone may be required (the 3Ps :gossip: ).

BTW, I did not buy anything special - just a fun piece that my 8-year-old son really loves (he complained that I did not own a cover showing a big monster)

Very nice cover! Congrats :)

Thank you :)

I did ask Bechara for a list of all his pieces - don't know if he has one, if I ever get such a list, I'll be happy to share it here (he mentioned he has 5 x the amount of pieces shown on his website)

I did ask Bechara for a list of all his pieces - don't know if he has one, if I ever get such a list, I'll be happy to share it here (he mentioned he has 5 x the amount of pieces shown on his website)

The $64k question is what's on his $65k-and-up list.

Good luck with that, I bought from him twice at SDCC... both time he promised he would update the website more frequently and both times he told me he would get me a list of similar pieces to the ones I just purchased which he had in inventory.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know what he has. I like him, always fun to haggle/talk/deal with him but I always get the feeling the OA part is just something he does in between having fun or doing other stuff and doesn't really take it too seriously.

Pity though as I'm sure he has so much stuff that remains unseen to most collectors.

Good luck with that, I bought from him twice at SDCC... both time he promised he would update the website more frequently and both times he told me he would get me a list of similar pieces to the ones I just purchased which he had in inventory.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know what he has. I like him, always fun to haggle/talk/deal with him but I always get the feeling the OA part is just something he does in between having fun or doing other stuff and doesn't really take it too seriously.

Pity though as I'm sure he has so much stuff that remains unseen to most collectors.

My guess is you've gathered the right facts but drawn the wrong conclusion :insane:

I think its easier for him to say "yeah, yeah, I'll get you that, sure" than explain to you that he doesn't want to reveal his hand.

You tell people they can't know something and there's something about human psychology that just WON'T allow them to drop it. If he doesn't want to tell you, and he tells you that, you become a PITA.

Even worse, from his POV, what's your next step once you have the master list?

Ask for 30 different prices?

Why would he want you to do that. He gets cornered into labelling a bunch of pieces with a price when there is zero chance you will buy all the ones you ask about.

Better to let you spend your five or ten grand or 20 or 30 or whatever your budget is from one of the few options he makes available to you.

He doesn't price benchmark his inventory and taint later asking prices. He keeps the inventory fresher. Etc.

You may not agree with it but playing it in that manner is just as valid as putting a price on everything and being upfront.

(disclaimer - I don't know bechara and not suggesting these are his actual reasons or anything. Speculating).

My guess is you've gathered the right facts but drawn the wrong conclusion :insane:

I think its easier for him to say "yeah, yeah, I'll get you that, sure" than explain to you that he doesn't want to reveal his hand.

You tell people they can't know something and there's something about human psychology that just WON'T allow them to drop it. If he doesn't want to tell you, and he tells you that, you become a PITA.

Why would he want you to do that. He gets cornered into labelling a bunch of pieces with a price when there is zero chance you will buy all the ones you ask about.

Better to let you spend your five or ten grand or 20 or 30 or whatever your budget is from one of the few options he makes available to you.

He doesn't price benchmark his inventory and taint later asking prices. He keeps the inventory fresher. Etc.

You may not agree with it but playing it in that manner is just as valid as putting a price on everything and being upfront.

(disclaimer - I don't know bechara and not suggesting these are his actual reasons or anything. Speculating).

Sometimes it's the difference between shopping in a department store in the US or going to shop in Hong Kong or Tijuana. Many love the challenge of price negotiation as both sellers and buyers. Others simply want a hassle and haggle free approach. Many hate to continue inquiring about unpriced merchandise as they shop.

There's a lot of middle ground where some dealers price their merchandise and then you can negotiate from there for reasonable discounts, and others who are firm on their prices.

What I don't think many buyers like is the feeling they're getting sized up by the seller and getting a wild wild west approach to pricing. Or worst yet when a seller asks to be made an offer from a buyer, only to then counter with a higher price regardless of if the offer was fair or not.

I'd think if a person is dedicated to be in the business of selling he should shore up his customer service and experience with the best possible communication, answering calls and emails as well as pricing his merchandise and being organized as the professional approach. Otherwise it's like shopping at a swap meet or garage sale.

Sometimes it's the difference between shopping in a department store in the US or going to shop in Hong Kong or Tijuana. Many love the challenge of price negotiation as both sellers and buyers. Others simply want a hassle and haggle free approach. Many hate to continue inquiring about unpriced merchandise as they shop.

There's a lot of middle ground where some dealers price their merchandise and then you can negotiate from there for reasonable discounts, and others who are firm on their prices.

What I don't think many buyers like is the feeling they're getting sized up by the seller and getting a wild wild west approach to pricing. Or worst yet when a seller asks to be made an offer from a buyer, only to then counter with a higher price regardless of if the offer was fair or not.

I'd think if a person is dedicated to be in the business of selling he should shore up his customer service and experience with the best possible communication, answering calls and emails as well as pricing his merchandise and being organized as the professional approach. Otherwise it's like shopping at a swap meet or garage sale.

Some very good points, but as to the last paragraph? Bah. What guys that are like how I am hearing him described here want is one thing. Max price. They don't give a krap about your desires for a professional approach. They want max price. And you'd better believe that includes sizing you up ;)

The buyer either deals with it or walks. Its a free country.

What guys that are like how I am hearing him described here want is one thing. Max price. They don't give a krap about your desires for a professional approach. They want max price.

Not entirely true. There are those of us out here, for whom a professional and equitable approach matters to us, just as it should for buyers. All dealers/reps are not cut from the exact same cloth.

What guys that are like how I am hearing him described here want is one thing. Max price. They don't give a krap about your desires for a professional approach. They want max price.

Not entirely true. There are those of us out here, for whom a professional and equitable approach matters to us, just as it should for buyers. All dealers/reps are not cut from the exact same cloth.

Who said anything about you, with all due respect? I said those that fit the mold I am hearing described here. You were never included in that, at least not by me.

I am sure you provide great service.

That said, its a very different business repping new art vs selling vintage art. Repping new stuff you'd better be on top of it. Selling old... it could be played either way.

Yes, the relationship between buyer and seller is conflicted. The buyer wants to pay the least amount and the seller wants to charge the most amount in theory. It's the education that's necessary that puts a deal together. The dealer needs to be in the mind set of a business person not a collector. There's a lot of collectors out there who try to make private sales and over-value their art because that's what it's worth to them and that's what it would take to sell a piece. The businessman knows a piece with a high price tag but no buyers doesn't pay the rent, and the business is about moving product and getting revenues in. So, education of the market value is key to get their "max price" of course, but also know how to price to move too.

I'll be candid. For Art Dealers, I've always felt the level of communication (responding to inquiries and service with a smile, as opposed to any gruff or short attitudes), pricing (either being fair out of the gate or willingness to accept offers) and fulfillment (quality packaging and fast delivery) has been up to par by my experiences with:

Albert Moy

Anthony Snyder

Graphic Collectibles

Will's Comic Art

Romitaman

I've gotten artwork from all of 'em and looked back at art I've bought go up in value as well as art I've passed on with now 20/20 hindsight regret of not buying from them. To me that's a testimony to what I believe is their fair pricing. They all have had good business approaches in terms of updating their inventory, answering emails and having a nice selection to choose from.

I've had "fall on deaf ears" communication and seen "pie in the sky" pricing from some dealers who I've no longer even bothered looking at their inventory anymore of course too.

In terms of Art Reps (not including direct from artist interactions), I've had fairly good experiences with most of 'em, 'tho some have high prices based on what their artists might list them at, and to me, some art I feel is like fine wine and needs to be aged a bit, so I have a slightly harder time personally in paying higher dollars for modern art, but that's just my preferences.

Yes, the relationship between buyer and seller is conflicted. The buyer wants to pay the least amount and the seller wants to charge the most amount in theory. It's the education that's necessary that puts a deal together. The dealer needs to be in the mind set of a business person not a collector. There's a lot of collectors out there who try to make private sales and over-value their art because that's what it's worth to them and that's what it would take to sell a piece. The businessman knows a piece with a high price tag but no buyers doesn't pay the rent, and the business is about moving product and getting revenues in. So, education of the market value is key to get their "max price" of course, but also know how to price to move too.

Just to state the obvious, you need to revise your model slightly to account for consignments, where dealers actually have two clients they need to service and satisfy. While dealers may have a policy to take on only consignments they think are reasonable and have a market, this doesn't seem to be the case in our neck of the woods.

Just to state the obvious, you need to revise your model slightly to account for consignments, where dealers actually have two clients they need to service and satisfy.

Which pretty much describes the situation art reps deal with every day, trying to maintain the balance between giving buyers a fair price and keeping their artists satisfied with their results.