• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Kupperberg passes away

15 posts in this topic

He never got the credit he should have. he was a very skilled artist. His panels were expressive and he did a great job with creatures and with dynamic body angles and positioning. I'm always amazed how how cheaply his art sold for, when if you put Sal Buscema or or some other more "liked" name the same page would be 2x as much.

Sorry he passed so young.

I really liked Alan's work.

I grew up with his thor books he did and loved the art in them

These books were one of the reasons I started reading comics

In 2008 I sent him an email and he was very nice and I ended up getting a sketch from him.

As I remember it wasn't too much and I have always loved it :)

RIP

kupperberg.jpg

I got a commission from Alan last year and he was so wonderful to work with on it.

We became friends on FB and it looked like he was home and getting better so this is very sad news.

Just a very nice gentleman who truly appreciated his role in the world of comics. He will be missed.

framedASMannual1.jpg

This is an excellent piece.

Yeah he really did a wonderful job with it. That photo doesn't do it justice. If you go to my CAF link in my sig you can see a photo and scan of just the art.

I read these stories of people having issues dealing with artists and Alan is my only experience in having a commission done so I'm learning quickly that they're not all like that. He was great to talk to, we spent a bunch of emails taking about our favorite covers before we settled on this one. He was genuinely excited to tackle it and I think it showed in the work and then he really wanted me to be happy with the end result.

It was just a really gratifying experience all around ...and while I'm very sad today, I'm also happy that I got the chance to chat a bit with him and that a piece he did for me hangs on my wall. I know for a fact my experience with him was far from unique. He made a lot of people happy with his art and his love of art.