• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are some of your best comic finds?

41 posts in this topic

Whoever was giving him mess for asking this question is being a bit critical here.

It's pretty natural to want to hear stories about finding gold in a trash heap.

Oh wait.. this is the CGC boards, torch the noob for trying to foster discussion!

Let's all inflate our egos a bit more and act superior!

I would also add

Have a little thick skin and understand when a joke is being made at your expense

After all is a comic book message board

:shrug:

I can only speak for myself but my poor attempts were tame compared to some others I've seen in the past

Yup

We were all noobs once

Criminy

Some of us still are :baiting:

Why you little-

Whoever was giving him mess for asking this question is being a bit critical here.

Oh wait.. this is the CGC boards, torch the noob for trying to foster discussion!

I would also add

Have a little thick skin and understand when a joke is being made at your expense

After all is a comic book message board

:shrug:

I can only speak for myself but my poor attempts were tame compared to some others I've seen in the past

I would agree. It's totally necessary and I rarely comment on other people talking a little snack and having fun.

This however is already predictable and tiring. The OP seemed to be unphased by it though so maybe you're right.

Yeah, that's why there have been multiple threads started about this general topic since the inception of this message board. There have even been recent threads, including a specific active one that was linked to earlier in this thread.

Noobs should read more and post less.

Here's one for the OP.

I went to an estate auction with comics listed, and while all the other playas duked it out over the PCH and other Fifties books, I snagged Cerebus 1 through 160 or so complete...for about $35. Got a page of Cerebus art, already matted and framed, for $20 or so.

Went to another auction a couple years ago, and the same sort of thing: While everybody else fought over the beat to bits 50's Supermans and Batmans, I snagged a pile of kids' humor books for $40 or so, which included early Little Audreys, and a Little Dot #1 (first Richie Rich)

I was actually en route to Mid Ohio Con one year, but in no particular hurry, so I was taking the surface roads and poking around in the junk shops and antique shows I bumped into, and bought about 20 50's DC comics at $5 apiece...including an Adventure 247.

Two years ago en route to WW Chicago I stopped to look at some comics listed in a Craigslist ad just off my route, picked up a stack of moderns and coverless GA at $2 apiece. Best of the moderns was a nice Amazing Spidey 238, and there were many interesting books in the coverless stack, but the Big Gun was a copy of Detective Comics #2. My first prehero Detective, and thing of beauty.

What is the recurring theme in these stories? The bargains are found out in the wild, not at the local comic store.

What is the lesson to be learned? The harder you look, and the more odd places you stick your nose, the more good stuff you find.

I would estimate my success to failure ratio at about 100 to 1. Stick your nose into a thousand garage sales, craigslist ads, auctions, and antique stores and talk to EVERYONE you meet, and you'll get ten or twelve really nice buys.

I think the trick is knowing the non-obvious books.

Most people will slap a high price on an old super hero book, but not know the valuable non-hero books. (kind of like catrick's story above).

Since most of my "shopping" was limited to book stores and comic shops I made it my goal to know every out of print TPB and HC that had value on the secondary market.

I've walked out of many comic shops and book stores with OOP Marvel Omnibuses bought for 50-75% of retail knowing that there was a secondary market for them at 200% of retail. The shops were thrilled to get rid of old inventory that had been sitting unpurchased because of their high price (i.e kids buying $3 comics weren't interested in plopping down $100 for an Omnibus), and I was happy to use the profits to buy more books here on the CGC boards!

have a dealer who prices everything by overstreet and does not have a pc so has no clue about hot books and such. given he only does 1 mall show and 1 comic show so ya

gotten quite a few nice books off him for cheper then i should have, i don't remember them all over the yr's but a few recent ones

sandman 9, 18 error 50cents each (both 9.6/9.8)

dark horse comics early #'s including the 1st starwars, robocop, alien & predator & others 50cents each (all were between 8.5-9.8)

1st batgirl midgrade (maybe 4.0-6.0) $40

at a local fleamarket got 1st blink for $2.......might have found more but kneeling on a rocky ground, on a sloap into long boxes where 80% of the books were backwards was not fun so i gave up

at a show was going though a box and found some nice books decently priced, also had a iirc x-men 11 pressman (prob 9.0-9.4) for $5........the guy even knew what he had and never took it out of the box (everything in box is X price type thing), he forgot about it being in there. honestly even if he upped the price i prob would have taken it bc it's the 1st time i've seen the book, and needed it for my run

another show got off 1 dealer invincible 1, evil ernie 1, a # of image fathoms, and danger girls.......paid about 25-30 for all of it (this was at the hight of priceing on invincible 1 as well)

I would have to say that the greatest asset I have had, since I have been here, is this board. I read it every day and all day learning of books, their value, and why they are important and/or sought after. Now, when I go to yard sales, etc. I know what to look for outside of what I already knew.

Last weekend I went to a yard sale, listed on CL, and there was another person already looking through the books. All he bought was 2 or 3 Spawn books, but I walked away with Alias #1, Batman Long Halloween #1-4, Secret Wars full set, etc. Most of these are not on my network of what I collect for myself, but because of my educating myself from collected knowledge of the board members I can find a lot more.

Thumbs up to this board.

Zap Comix 1,2 and 3 at a garage sale in a pile of comics for a few dollars. I had no idea what they were until years later. All verified first prints in about fine + condition.

Yeah, that's why there have been multiple threads started about this general topic since the inception of this message board. There have even been recent threads, including a specific active one that was linked to earlier in this thread.

Noobs should read more and post less.

Unfortunately there's a vocal minority that equates post count with knowledge. Silliness

(Lil PPs...)

My favorite and best find thus far goes:

I walk into a comic book store and browse the selection. I had been here several times before, but normally don't find too much. Didn't find anything that day. Bought some AvX Dicemasters blind bags and left. Walked ten seconds down to a thrift store that was in the same strip mall as the comic shop. Upon entering, I saw a huge assortment of comics. They had a good mix of Marvel and DC, and all for $1.50 each. I get to the last little section and come across a Batman Adventures run starting at about issue 20. Started flipping backwards and with each comic I passed my heart started beating faster and faster. 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, heart pounding as I flip back one more and there she was, a nice copy of Batman Adventures 12 staring at me.

I went back the next day and somebody had come through and rummaged through them as I noticed a lot of the Batman Adventures were out of order and spread out in the racks. Lucky me I stopped in there that day. Never even noticed that thrift store until that day.