• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ugliest Ditko Spidey cover?

141 posts in this topic

I didn't realize how many people don't like #1. I've loved that cover since I was a kid. Isn't that Kirby pencils too?

I can see why #10 is on people's list, but that was the first Spidey I bought in the 1-10 run as a kid. I can still remember buying it at North Coast Nostalgia in Cleveland. Because of that, #10 is one of my favorites.

I think the worst is #30. There are so many awesome covers in the run though.

I didn't realize how many people don't like #1. I've loved that cover since I was a kid. Isn't that Kirby pencils too?

I can see why #10 is on people's list, but that was the first Spidey I bought in the 1-10 run as a kid. I can still remember buying it at North Coast Nostalgia in Cleveland. Because of that, #10 is one of my favorites.

I think the worst is #30. There are so many awesome covers in the run though.

10 has always gotten a bad wrap. I always thought it was one of the better stories.

1 isn't horrible, but it should've had a better cover. Never liked 8 or 38.

23 is the best.

I just can't understand the Ditko love and how much his original art commands. He's huge in the collecting community.Is it because it's Spider-Man,and that he was the artist or the first few years on such an iconic character? I'm an artist,and art collector,but I just can't see it. I do like his Green Goblin covers and the one in the water sewer.

I just can't understand the Ditko love and how much his original art commands. He's huge in the collecting community.Is it because it's Spider-Man,and that he was the artist or the first few years on such an iconic character? I'm an artist,and art collector,but I just can't see it. I do like his Green Goblin covers and the one in the water sewer.

Here's why I think he's worth the hullabaloo...

I feel that he was more than just an artist, he was a solid creator.

His sheer brilliance comes from the fact that a lot of his characters that he designed and drew has pretty much unaltered stood the test of time. I mean think about it, there are about 50 solid characters that he did that with.

I love it!

:cloud9:

His sheer brilliance comes from the fact that a lot of his characters that he designed and drew has pretty much unaltered stood the test of time. I mean think about it, there are about 50 solid characters that he did that with.

I love it!

I love his Dr Strange stories in the old Strange Tales - talk about creative art!

I love it!

Yea I look at him more as a world builder. He established the characters and made them interesting. Peter is an introspective character, and I think that is in large part because of Ditko. Like others mentioned, his art made the character awkward and that worked well to establish Peter as an awkward outsider.

He also created a rogue gallery that was introspective and with some heart. They've all remained huge parts in the Spidey world. As you said, most of the characters he created are still huge in the Spidey mythos and very few major villains have been created since.

I love it!

I love his Dr Strange stories in the old Strange Tales - talk about creative art!

Yep! love those Strange Tales!

The wacky way he drew the magic and smoke was surreal!

Even though the anatomy wasn't perfect through his style, the raw energy that came from his illustrations were so freaking awesome!

I love it!

(thumbs u I couldn't say it better myself. And the more I look at his art, the more I come to appreciate it. Warts and all.

As a kid I didn't like Ditko's work on Spidey I just thought it was too quirky and weird and not as "pretty" as Romita's Spidey. As an adult I gained a much better appreciation of his work and love most all of his ASM work. Having said that 10 is my least favorite from his run by a mile followed by 35 and 30. Now that I've found out that's Kirby's Spidey on 10 it makes more sense as I get the same feeling when I look at Strange Tales Annual 2. For the life of me I cant figure out why they didn't run with Ditko's original cover.

Like other's have said I don't understand the disdain for 1. You have Spidey and the FF what else could you ask for in March 1963?

One of my biggest regrets it not having a clear line of capital to make this mine...

112535.jpg

I own all ASM Ditko comics in decent shape, but there is nothing like seeing this in person.

:applause::applause:

As a kid I didn't like Ditko's work on Spidey I just thought it was too quirky and weird and not as "pretty" as Romita's Spidey. As an adult I gained a much better appreciation of his work and love most all of his ASM work. Having said that 10 is my least favorite from his run by a mile followed by 35 and 30. Now that I've found out that's Kirby's Spidey on 10 it makes more sense as I get the same feeling when I look at Strange Tales Annual 2. For the life of me I cant figure out why they didn't run with Ditko's original cover.

Like other's have said I don't understand the disdain for 1. You have Spidey and the FF what else could you ask for in March 1963?

A good cover with Spidey and the FF? (shrug)

I read somewhere that #35 was drawn by both Kirby and Ditko...like #10. Looking at it you can tell the Spidey figure is not completely Ditko, maybe not Ditko at all. I think Kirby drew Spidey and Ditko drew the Moltewn Man. I like #35.

The worst for me is definitely #30 followed by #10. I see a lot of hate for #4 and #25. Both of those are great in my opinion. As for my favorite their are just too many great ones!

I also like #1 but can see why some do not. It is a good cover but it doesn't have that #1 feel to it.

#1 just doesn't hang right with me.

1. In no way feels like a #1 cover

2. Really awkward pose, Spidey looks just weird, it's like he's doing star jumps in midair.

3. The dialog is terrible

4. The Thing looks like a cookie

Considering its the Spidey premiere issue after the total awesomeness of AF15, its a really, really terrible cover

Hilarious!

I need to really sit down and get into the first couple trades of ASM and really take it all in at once.I think my problem is I never really gave Ditko a chance. All the classic villains from the first couple years still around today. And the Strange Tales,I don't think I've ever read one. I will find the time and get into them both!

Hilarious!

I need to really sit down and get into the first couple trades of ASM and really take it all in at once.I think my problem is I never really gave Ditko a chance. All the classic villains from the first couple years still around today. And the Strange Tales,I don't think I've ever read one. I will find the time and get into them both!

One of things that I also like Joey is that his work almost seemingly goes so well with the times. A lot of the penciling looks like he was listening to the Byrds, Cream, Dylan or the Dead and the psychedelic flow was ending up right on the paper.

I guess that is why I really think of his illustrations as fine Art, because his style reminds me not so much about perfection, but one of my genre's of the period - Pop Art.

In addition it reminds of of one of my favorite quotes off a Tool album...

"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a Favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your cds and burn em. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who've made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years...

Rrrrrrrrrrrrreal F'n high on drugs. "

--Bill Hicks

:grin: