• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ugliest Ditko Spidey cover?

141 posts in this topic

Try as I might, I never could choose a favorite from those Pin-ups. The list of OA that was still in Marvel's warehouse in the early 80's isn't handy, but most of the Ditko ASM interiors were still extant at that time. I'd wager they're out there somewhere. The Electro or Sandman one could set a record for an interior page. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... can you imagine all six, matted in white, framed in black, on the wall descending into the "man-cave" ? :cloud9:

Jeez, I guess I'm just a Ditko fanboy :blush: but I don't think any of his ASM covers are ugly and I find nothing unpleasant or disagreeable about Ditko's ASM cover work.

On his worst day, Ditko could poop out better work than many other artists. Here are some covers I do think are ugly - plenty of elements in these covers that are unpleasant:

uglywolvie_zpspqptn96g.jpguglysupesl_zps4urhtihd.jpguglySilver_zpseqfzhq9w.jpguglyHumberto-Ramos_zpsrjpigoeg.jpg

Try as I might, I never could choose a favorite from those Pin-ups. The list of OA that was still in Marvel's warehouse in the early 80's isn't handy, but most of the Ditko ASM interiors were still extant at that time. I'd wager they're out there somewhere. The Electro or Sandman one could set a record for an interior page. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... can you imagine all six, matted in white, framed in black, on the wall descending into the "man-cave" ? :cloud9:

I have a new goal in life. Thank you.

Jeez, I guess I'm just a Ditko fanboy :blush: but I don't think any of his ASM covers are ugly and I find nothing unpleasant or disagreeable about Ditko's ASM cover work.

On his worst day, Ditko could poop out better work than many other artists. Here are some covers I do think are ugly - plenty of elements in these covers that are unpleasant:

uglywolvie_zpspqptn96g.jpguglysupesl_zps4urhtihd.jpguglySilver_zpseqfzhq9w.jpguglyHumberto-Ramos_zpsrjpigoeg.jpg

Good god Hyena Wolverine, Bufus Superman, Liefeld bomb guy and Goofus Magillicuddy Spider Man...wtf???

Why does scrawny Spider Man have huge unweildly bear paws?????????

Ugly Ditko cover? Wow. I guess if you're comparing Ditko covers against each other, I suppose there are ones LESS favorable, but I can't really think of one that's ugly.

I LOVE 3, 6, 9, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23, 24, 28 and 33

I LIKE most of the rest, but am not a big fan of 5, 20, 30, 37 and 38.

Of all of them I like 30 the least. I think it's just a bad composition altogether.

One of my favorite Spidey covers that hasn't been mentioned yet (I think)

I love the way Ditko executed this cover. Perfect in every way. :cloud9:

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_29.jpg

My least favorite cover would be ASM #10. :(

I'm in the small minority that really likes the cover art on #10. For me, the extreme simplicity is cool, and it has an iconic superhero pose that reminds me of JIM #89 (another very simple cover). I also really like #s 15,23,29,33, and 28 (my favorite).

Least favorites are probably #s 4, 38, and Annual #2. I just can't hate on any cover that features Doc Ock or Gobby.

:taptaptap:

:grin:

#10 is a combo Kirby/Ditko cover. The Spidey figure is Kirby, the Enforcers are Ditko. I forget the story behind it, but Stan didn’t like Ditko’s version IIRC.

Great info, no wonder I like the cover as having a classic Spidey pose.

This was the cover that was supposed to go but it was pulled at the last minute.

asm10_v1.jpg

10 gets my vote for "Ugliest Ditko Spidey cover" - it's just so bland and forgettable. As mentioned, some covers in the 30s aren't great, either, but visually they have more eye appeal to me than this, with four guys floating around against the solid grey background and Spidey just hanging there:

d1de37ed13040ae7bb15c3324402115e.jpg

I actually really like the discarded version, above. Had never seen it before. A lot more going on and a very sinister Big Man, to boot.

It is my understanding that the OA to the cover of 29 exists although I have never seen it, rumors persist

#10 is a combo Kirby/Ditko cover. The Spidey figure is Kirby, the Enforcers are Ditko. I forget the story behind it, but Stan didn’t like Ditko’s version IIRC.

This was the cover that was supposed to go but it was pulled at the last minute.

asm10_v1.jpg

10 gets my vote for "Ugliest Ditko Spidey cover" - it's just so bland and forgettable. As mentioned, some covers in the 30s aren't great, either, but visually they have more eye appeal to me than this, with four guys floating around against the solid grey background and Spidey just hanging there:

I actually really like the discarded version, above. Had never seen it before. A lot more going on and a very sinister Big Man, to boot.

I am guessing that the OA to the unpublished #10 cover exists somewhere, since otherwise nobody would know that there was an unpublished cover for # 10

That said, I have heard nary a peep as to where this OA is :(

asm10_v1.jpg

I really like the unpublished Ditko cover for 10 as well. I also had never seen it before. Much much better than the cover they went with. And very true to Ditko's style!

asm10_v1.jpg

I like it -- beautiful colours by Stan Goldberg. It's a rare opportunity to see Ditko and Kirby/Ayers side by side. Kirby always had issues with Spidey's webbing and the head profile but a dynamic rendering.*

ASM10FMar64.jpg

*Maybe even another artist's contribution -- Spidey's left hand rendering and inking doesn't look like Kirby/Ayers -- Sol Brodsky?

I'm in the small minority that really likes the cover art on #10. For me, the extreme simplicity is cool, and it has an iconic superhero pose that reminds me of JIM #89 (another very simple cover). I also really like #s 15,23,29,33, and 28 (my favorite).

Least favorites are probably #s 4, 38, and Annual #2. I just can't hate on any cover that features Doc Ock or Gobby.

:taptaptap:

:grin:

:o

:sorry:

I like it -- beautiful colours by Stan Goldberg. It's a rare opportunity to see Ditko and Kirby/Ayers side by side. Kirby always had issues with Spidey's webbing and the head profile but a dynamic rendering.*

ASM10FMar64.jpg

*Maybe even another artist's contribution -- Spidey's left hand rendering and inking doesn't look like Kirby/Ayers -- Sol Brodsky?

You win !

Now I have no least-favorite Ditko Spidey cover ! :acclaim: