• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ugliest Ditko Spidey cover?

141 posts in this topic

#1 just doesn't hang right with me.

4. The Thing looks like a cookie

Hilarious!

I need to really sit down and get into the first couple trades of ASM and really take it all in at once.I think my problem is I never really gave Ditko a chance. All the classic villains from the first couple years still around today. And the Strange Tales,I don't think I've ever read one. I will find the time and get into them both!

One of things that I also like Joey is that his work almost seemingly goes so well with the times. A lot of the penciling looks like he was listening to the Byrds, Cream, Dylan or the Dead and the psychedelic flow was ending up right on the paper.

I guess that is why I really think of his illustrations as fine Art, because his style reminds me not so much about perfection, but one of my genre's of the period - Pop Art.

In addition it reminds of of one of my favorite quotes off a Tool album...

"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a Favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your cds and burn em. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who've made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years...

Rrrrrrrrrrrrreal F'n high on drugs. "

--Bill Hicks

:grin:

This Tool album cover looks like something Ditko drew in the early Dr Stange stories. Coincidence? hm

tool-undertow-800px_zpsigcm2kkg.jpg

This was Ditko's original cover for #35 before it was reworked by, I believe, Marie Severin.

DitkoS-M35Cover_zpsgyg99hik.png

Glad they reworked the like that cover.

While I kind of get how Annual #2 isn't regarded as a great cover-the floating head motif is a little weird-it does have one of the quintessential Ditko images on it. The "solemn" image of Spider-Man standing with what would seem to be the weight of the world on his slightly hunched shoulders would serve as the title box image for issues 48-107, until it was slightly reworked by John Romita on the cover of ASM 108.

This was Ditko's original cover for #35 before it was reworked by, I believe, Marie Severin.

DitkoS-M35Cover_zpsgyg99hik.png

Glad they reworked the like that cover.

Definitely. It looks like two Bull Dogs are fighting in those drawers. GOD BLESS..

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

While I kind of get how Annual #2 isn't regarded as a great cover-the floating head motif is a little weird-it does have one of the quintessential Ditko images on it. The "solemn" image of Spider-Man standing with what would seem to be the weight of the world on his slightly hunched shoulders would serve as the title box image for issues 48-107, until it was slightly reworked by John Romita on the cover of ASM 108.

That's a good point. I am not a fan of the cover to Annual 2, but it does have a certain significance since that standing Spidey would appear again on so many covers.

Also, that original cover for 35 is pretty bad. What an awful angle to view Spidey from.

That's a good point. I am not a fan of the cover to Annual 2, but it does have a certain significance since that standing Spidey would appear again on so many covers.

Also, that original cover for 35 is pretty bad. What an awful angle to view Spidey from.

By this point, I believe, Ditko was fed up with his treatment by Marvel and Stan Lee. I always considered the original cover for #35 as his "kiss my azz" comment to Stan and Marvel.

I'm not really a fan of Ditko's art, although I do like a small percentage of it.

His ugliest cover, though, has to be ASM #16. The figures look ridiculously klunky—even worse than usual.

That’s why I don’t like issue 16’s cover; the clunkiness, stiffness of the figurework, especially Daredevil. The art looks closer to something Ditko would've drawn when past his best later on, say, in the 90s, and nowhere near up to the standard of his peak Silver Age / Bronze Age material.

For its time, decidedly tenth-rate.

I don't think there is another run of classic books that has as much divergence amongst fans as to which covers are best. 35 and 38 are tied for worst in my opinion. GOD BLESS....

Jimbo beat me to it...(late to this thread...have been on vacation this week...)...with a nod to 35 which is pretty horrible... :tonofbricks:

By this point, I believe, Ditko was fed up with his treatment by Marvel and Stan Lee. I always considered the original cover for #35 as his "kiss my azz" comment to Stan and Marvel.

:roflmao: ....... so funny..... and probably true. GOD BLESS...

I'm with most of you, #30 and #35 are pretty bad with #38 being the worst if you really count it as a Ditko cover.

I don't think this one has even been mentioned, but I think issue #24 is killer and is at the top of my list as one of the all-time best Spider-Man/Ditko covers .

hOEnYan.jpg

Hard to judge the Amazing Spider-Man #38 cover since it's just a paste-up of images from the interior of the book.

It's not really a bona-fide Ditko cover as it was likely designed in Marvel's production dept.

In addition it reminds of of one of my favorite quotes off a Tool album...

"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a Favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your cds and burn em. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who've made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years...

Rrrrrrrrrrrrreal F'n high on drugs. "

--Bill Hicks

:grin:

[/quote

Wally you're the man! Switching up from Byrds/Cream to TOOL! Hicks nailed it on that one!

I'm with most of you, #30 and #35 are pretty bad with #38 being the worst if you really count it as a Ditko cover.

I don't think this one has even been mentioned, but I think issue #24 is killer and is at the top of my list as one of the all-time best Spider-Man/Ditko covers .

hOEnYan.jpg

It is one of the best in the run. As with his Dr Strange art, Ditko had a talent for surreality.

hOEnYan.jpg

Absolutely!

I looked through them all and what struck me most of all is how much better Romita was than Ditko at drawing a cover. Ditko seemed to have no interest in making a decent background and used a very bland color palette.