• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ugliest Ditko Spidey cover?

141 posts in this topic

I am a huge silver age Spider-Man fan, and I especially love the work of Ditko. I often go back and forth with myself on which is my favorite cover. However, last night I was looking at one of my Ditko books thinking how bad it was. A very rare thing. It got me thinking though; which Ditko Spidey cover is the ugliest? (My choice to be revealed later, I don't want to bias people!)

I’ve never liked issue 16’s. Very stiff figurework.

Issue 10’s cover is quite boring, as well.

I'm voting 5, because he spent all that time drawing a trap room that I would've invented in grade school, and still botched Doom.

Honorable mention to 14, which is a hot mess, and to 1, which I think the OP will pick.

I always disliked #4. The cover should be flashy and not look like the inside of the book. Always seemed kind of lazy to me.

Wow, lots of votes all over the place! Issues 5, 14 and 1 have been the most shocking picks to me!

I actually think his ugliest is Annual #2. A giant floating Spidey head with little Spider-Men climbing on it against that yellow background.

37 doesn't do much for me. His run in the 30's in general is rough in my opinion (taking nothing away from the iconic story from issues 31-33).

They definitely lost steam in the 30's.

31 and 38 are my least favorites. 30 is close.

Ditko was very formulaic in his ASM covers. If you look carefully, it's always Spidey and the villain/supporting cast member in detail with a very, very basic backdrop. The background is even missing in #s 8, 10, 12, 13, 17, 25, 27, 28, 31, and 38. For me 8, 10 and 38 are the worst.