• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying to organize my comic cavern

21 posts in this topic

It is distressing when after I moved 30 magazine boxes out to the hallway to give me some breathing room while organizing it feels like it made no impact whatsoever.

I probably just need to do some bulk lot sales.

for my reorganization project I was starting with maybe 100 long boxes and an other 50 short/mag boxes

Seemed totally overwhelming.

Spent almost 1.5 years reorganizing, rebagging and switching over to the drawer box system. Took over the better part of two bedrooms and closets with sections constantly being shifted.

drawer boxes are the way to go if you want the stuff organized and still have easy access to the contents.

At some point, a collection becomes clutter.

My breaking point was when looking through a half a box of 1960s Tower Comics, I was thinking they weren't nearly as HG as I remembered them being. I recalled buying a nice group of VF books but these were mostly VG.

Turned out I unknowingly had two boxes of Tower Comics,. To me, that was clutter. Once I recognized it, the rest came easier. Did I really need a dozen copies of TTA 66? That unopened box of Byrne Superman #1? Will it really be worth that much more in ten years than it is today? I'd much rather have 1,000

$100 books than 100,000 $1 books.

My breaking point was when looking through a half a box of 1960s Tower Comics, I was thinking they weren't nearly as HG as I remembered them being. I recalled buying a nice group of VF books but these were mostly VG.

Turned out I unknowingly had two boxes of Tower Comics,. To me, that was clutter. Once I recognized it, the rest came easier. Did I really need a dozen copies of TTA 66? That unopened box of Byrne Superman #1? Will it really be worth that much more in ten years than it is today? I'd much rather have 1,000

+1

This is what I have been doing over the past year at shows after buying a few decent sized collections the past few years. As much fun as collections can be, they are are a pain to clear out.

During this process i was able to setup at a local show with material that had not been offered for over 20 years.

Sold or traded quite a few books, but this was only with about 1/2 of my inventory ready.

I hope to sell/trade off at least 1000 comics per year for the next 10 years.

As my four color collection grows ( now over 900) it gets harder to find trading partners.

Jim

My thoughts exactly. That's why I'm fairly selective about what I buy. I'm a run collector, so once I get a complete run of something in the grade I want it in, I take those off my list. I rarely buy "collections" or big lots of stuff, especially if I have no interest in keeping the vast majority of it. I've toyed with getting into that, just so the hobby would be mostly self sustaining, but I think my personality would inhibit getting rid of the fluff quickly enough to fund other purchases.

every time I organize I think of this scene.

ok I removed it because I forgot that someone curses in the gif and there's closed captioning on it and god forbid someone get offended.

I'd much rather have 1,000

I went down this path a long time ago. My collection is six mag boxes, but every book is special. Zero junk.

Being around a lot of things I like is very stress reducing, but anything (and I mean anything) superfluous causes a total 180. Nothing I hate more than looking at a bunch of mediocre stuff shoved in a box.

It is distressing when after I moved 30 magazine boxes out to the hallway to give me some breathing room while organizing it feels like it made no impact whatsoever.

I probably just need to do some bulk lot sales.

My comic cavern is stuffed and overflowing. Now there are boxes under the pool table, and exterior book shelves. Any time I try to put new stuff away, I have to move a bunch of stuff out of the cavern. It looks like the comic room took a big barf out into the pool room.

My collection, my horse collar. :(

I plan to get a better handle on it in retirement.

A rule I follow, if I want to bring new comics in I have to get rid of an equal amount. It makes me really think about whether I want that new book or run of comics.

every time I organize I think of this scene.

ok I removed it because I forgot that someone curses in the gif and there's closed captioning on it and god forbid someone get offended.

That is one of my favorite movies! :applause:

I'd much rather have 1,000

I went down this path a long time ago. My collection is six mag boxes, but every book is special. Zero junk.

Being around a lot of things I like is very stress reducing, but anything (and I mean anything) superfluous causes a total 180. Nothing I hate more than looking at a bunch of mediocre stuff shoved in a box.

Me and my OCD couldn't agree more with this statement.

My collection (3 short boxes of slabs) are kept in a separate room from books for sale or donation. I just can't have them mingle together.........

yeah, i wind up pulling potential "hot" "easily selleable" books to put aside for threads and ebay and just create more boxes because, of course, i only sell about 2% of what i am pulling because scanning and listing comics is a PITA