• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Debate TOS 39 or JIM 83

49 posts in this topic

Hey fellow boards jut looking for some opinions on two books tales of Suspense 39 and Journey into Mystery 83. I know both books are not on the level of a tier 1 character ( my opinion Tier 1 comic book character is Superman, Batman and Spiderman) so IronMan and Thor are say Tier 2. I love both characters almost equally. I love the whole Norse mythology with Thor, Loki and Odin. I was never a big fan of Iron Man until the movies started with Robert Downey Jr for me he made the character. So i'm tore between both books, if i attend a comic con and they had both books in the same grade and almost a identical price, I wouldn't know what book to get.

My question being posed is which book has more upside down the line ?

Iron man has had 3 movies come out over the years, and looks like he is done in his solo movies. ( I know he is going to be the co lead actor in the Civil wars movies coming out, but for arguement sake he is done)

Thor is coming out with his 3rd movie at some point and time in the next year or so. And both Iron Man and Thor have appeared in the Avengers movies and have played a decent sized role I would say Iron Man more so.

JIM 83 has 1,283 total copies graded

TOS39 has 1,533 total copies graded

Both books are around the same amount in the grade that I would be looking for 1.0-4.0, give or take $200-$400

So back to my original question what book has the better upside, down the line? Will these 2 books get out of control like Hulk #1 last year or will both just steadily increase? I'm just worried if I chose the wrong book to buy the other one might get out of $$ reach in a couple of years

Putting aside the movies since that medium is not a factor SA collectors (not speculators) rely on when determining the degree of a SA key's significance. That being said, the '62 Marvels - Hulk 1, AF 15, and JIM 83 are the more valuable books. JIM is a relative scarcity to TOS 39 is a factor to seriously consider and is a primary reason why it's a more valuable book.

It's a push.......JIM has relative scarcity going for it, TOS has the more popular character in it.

I don't look for either of those factors to change.

Buy the copy of either book that you find at the most bang for your buck vs grade.

I'd go with iron man as he isn't a Norse God. I pick the drunk over the god all day long.

Plus. I like the character better.

JIM 83 is less common.

Note I don't say more rare as neither is rare by any reflection.

Don't worry about what it will be worth because both books in your price range are about the same, and it's hard to speculate what will happen down the road. Because you like both characters equally, buy the one with the cover you really like and you will be happy each time you gaze at your grail, regardless what happens down the line.

Personally, I give JIM 83 the edge, but TOS 39 is a nice comic too.

Both books have room to grow still. You won't go wrong either way. It will come down to what book crosses your path with the best eye appeal and price. If you look for a TOS39, try to find one with the double "quotation" marks on the right front cover edge. Those were often miscut and missing in production. Also, look for a copy with the "blue" area under the table on the lower left front cover. That's typically miscut as well. Don't know of any printing issues with JIM 83. Overall, I like Thor slightly better as a character. I prefer JIM 83 as well for reasons stated in this thread. I don't think either cover is really appealing. Have fun in your hunt :)

Do you have more of one title than the other? I'm closer to a complete run of TOS than JIM, so in my situation, I'd go with Iron Man first. If it's just a mantlepiece, I think they're a push as well, so go with the scarcer Thor.

Thanks for all you input guys , I'm attending the garden state comic show in jersey on Sunday , and if 1 other book is out of my price range going to grab one of these. I myself am thinking JIM83.

Just hoping that if I grab JIM83 , that tales of suspense will not get out of control in the future, who knows maybe a dealer will have both and I can get a combo deal

Just to avoid any future regret You should just take out a loan and pick up both books. Both characters are of equal importance.however If I had to choose between the two I would go with TOS39

Just to avoid any future regret You should just take out a loan and pick up both books. Both characters are of equal importance.however If I had to choose between the two I would go with TOS39

That might have to happen Greg