• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice for slabbing a Golden age key

17 posts in this topic

I'm turning to the experts for advice...

I have a coverless copy of a Golden age key that I'm thinking of getting slabbed. I'm looking for advice on what I should do if I slab the interior of the book.

It is missing the front and back cover, 1st and last 2 pages, has 3 loose pages with one torn up in a few pieces, and the centerfold is detached.

I'm already planning on getting the single pages slabbed because those alone have value.

My questions are:

Should I slab the interior of the book with the detached centerfold or slab the centerfold by itself and the interior of the book separate?

What options do I have with a loose page that is torn in 3 pieces?

Thanks for all the help guys! (thumbs u

If it's a big key, put them all into single wraps, slab them all individually and sell the lot.

The book is in the top 10 of Golden age books for 2015 according to Overstreet.

I'm still on the fence if I'm gonna sell it. As of right now I'm going to keep it.

If it's a big key, put them all into single wraps, slab them all individually and sell the lot.

you're assuming his goal is to sell them...

let's ask the OP first.

Is your intent to sell the book?

Well the best that can possibly happen to it is that someone will find a donor and marry it into a complete restored copy.

I'd sell it now and move onto to complete issues that have a cover. JMHO

If it's Cap #1 I'd be interested in the centrefold.

Well the best that can possibly happen to it is that someone will find a donor and marry it into a complete restored copy.

I'd sell it now and move onto to complete issues that have a cover. JMHO

If it's Cap #1 I'd be interested in the centrefold.

I never thought about the possibility of turning the book into a complete restored copy. Very interesting idea.

It is not a Cap #1 sorry

Let's say I decide to slab it as is. I want to get a universal grade for this, no green.

Should I slab the interior of the book with the centerfold detached? OR Take the centerfold out and slab that by itself and then the rest of the book?

Not too versed on the blue/green label rule.

Let's say I decide to slab it as is. I want to get a universal grade for this, no green.

Should I slab the interior of the book with the centerfold detached? OR Take the centerfold out and slab that by itself and then the rest of the book?

Not too versed on the blue/green label rule.

Not sure why this thread went dead. Did it get moved?

To help answer the OP I think missing pages will get the green label with the books "apparent grade". That means what the book looks like aside from missing pages.

The other options that were mentioned by going for blue would almost certainly get a very very low grade(.5) or a NG .

I'll have to reach out to them before I do anything

No need to do that.

If there is no resto it will come back in a blue label.

If there is resto it will come back in a purple label.

If the book looks much nicer than the grade because of one significant defect it would be in a green qualified label. Since your book doesn't look much nicer than the grade, you don't have to worry about this label.

So what is the book?

You should post this thread in the gold forum :)

If you have no plans to sell, I wouldn't slab it at all. Unless you are into slab presentation to display or feel more comfortable handling it in a plastic tomb.

You should post this thread in the gold forum :)

If you have no plans to sell, I wouldn't slab it at all. Unless you are into slab presentation to display or feel more comfortable handling it in a plastic tomb.

I posted this in the Gold forum too. Thanks!

I'll have to reach out to them before I do anything

No need to do that.

If there is no resto it will come back in a blue label.

If there is resto it will come back in a purple label.

If the book looks much nicer than the grade because of one significant defect it would be in a green qualified label. Since your book doesn't look much nicer than the grade, you don't have to worry about this label.

Awesome thanks for the breakdown.

So what is the book?

Batman 1