• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antique store pricing...

52 posts in this topic

...at its finest:

say-what.jpg

I can't understand the philosophy behind stickering a common $1 or $2 book (e.g., what looks to be a VG All-Star #64, above) at $30.00.

Is it in the hope that some sap will shuck out for it? A ham-handed way to lure other collections out of hiding ("Wow, if that is worth $30, my junk must be worth a fortune..."), and then cherry pick them? Or is it just some unholy combination of movie madness, ignorance of the market, and good old-fashioned Barnum-esque hucksterism?

I just don't get it...

I think they price the comics for long term.

I remember, as a kid all the western comics were

priced at $5.00. They were everywhere, now 30

years later, they are gone.

Maybe. But if an antique store prices everything as aggressively as that, I wouldn't count on them being in business 30 years from now to sell the comics...

I was at a flea market a few years back and a woman had some comics, beat up BA stuff. So I asked how much and she said twenty five each. I struggled to find 4 books and actually found 5 and asked if she'd do the 5 for a buck and her reply was, sorry but they are $25 each :facepalm:

I like the idea of offering to sell them the same or similar books and then when they won't touch em for $5 asking so if the books are not worth $5 why are you selling them for 30-60? And I'm not leaving till I get an answer that makes sense.

Some antique dealers are totally clueless to comic values. I think they price them at a level they're comfortable with and don't want to sell anything too cheaply and get taken. They just have an inflated sense of value when it comes to comics. I'm sure that antique dealer has no idea of what the comics are worth.

...at its finest:

say-what.jpg

I can't understand the philosophy behind stickering a common $1 or $2 book (e.g., what looks to be a VG All-Star #64, above) at $30.00.

Is it in the hope that some sap will shuck out for it? A ham-handed way to lure other collections out of hiding ("Wow, if that is worth $30, my junk must be worth a fortune..."), and then cherry pick them? Or is it just some unholy combination of movie madness, ignorance of the market, and good old-fashioned Barnum-esque hucksterism?

I just don't get it...

:facepalm: good grief

All antique dealers are totally clueless to comic values. I think they price them at a price they pulled out of their . They just have an inflated sense of value when it comes to comics. I'm sure that antique dealer has no idea of what anything is worth.

ftfy

Why someone would do that when they can check ebay and see its worth a buck is a fool's hope

I think most antique stores price everything based on feel without doing any research, which is how it's possible to walk out of there with a treasure for $60, but much more likely you'll walk out of there for something worth $10 for $50. I was in an antique shop a week or two back that was selling Scrabble pieces individually, and aggressively priced. I imagine the reason being they had an incomplete game. Anyway, odds of someone else with an incomplete game walking in there and spending $10 on letters instead of just heading down to Toys R Us to buy a new game seem pretty slim.

...at its finest:

say-what.jpg

I just don't get it...

Weren't you tempted to pick up one of the books and pretend to be on the phone as you walked it to the front, wait until the shop owner sees you and say something like "$5,000?!?! That Much?!?! Yes I am buying it right NOW?!?!"

And then place it down on the counter and see if the owner flinches. lol

Why someone would do that when they can check ebay and see its worth a buck is a fool's hope
Old people. The kind of old people that still have flip phones and don't know how to use the internet.

That pricing may very well work for them with non comics so they just do the same thing. And then hope those people buying the other stuff might just grab a comic once in a while.

What old person would suddenly decide to buy a comic and without knowing anything about comics plunk down $60?

Most old people I know would say GOOD LORD if you told them you paid $1 for a comic.....

Old people. The kind of old people that still have flip phones and don't know how to use the internet.

Hey! I just upgraded from a flip phone two weeks ago. I had to do it because it was a 2G phone, and T-Mobile changed the towers near my house to 4G. But I'm not old, dagnabit! :preach: