• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for some OA advice/opinions

38 posts in this topic

Only $1,495 :insane:

I think with comic art the size differential between published art and OA is so slight that it does look silly framed together. (look, twins! )

That being said if I had a 30" painting that was used as the art on a say a 5" CD jewel case (say, my favorite band), then the published art is unobstrusive enough to frame with (or without).

Those little brass plaques definitely make me gag :sick: but if some large OA (say 24" and up is framed with or without small published art (say 7" and down), who cares. I mean who are we trying to impress? Any "layman" looking at the art is going to think its silly and cheesy with or without published art in the frame :news: so it just becomes a matter of personal choice (shrug)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that IMO if you put the published art in the frame it has to be really, really small relative to the OA in order to not take the focus away from where it should be, the OA.

So I mainly agree with you but I can also see situations where its OK or even nice to have it in there. (But those situations will pretty much be outside of comic art.)

I'd just frame the art on its own and have the published book/album cover/comic/whatever on hand nearby to show people where the art was used (if so desired). I think framing the art together with anything just distracts and detracts from the art itself. 2c

I can’t bring myself to even consider altering original artwork, easy decision for me … sounds like you were, and still are, heading down the same path. Now let’s see the art … I am very curious to see what the painting looks like.

Would most of you (peers on this msg board) want to just keep the original simple version, take the artist up on refining it, or pass completely?

My opinion - the thing is, it's fraud on "the process". The process is light and then everything else digital. Right? So why circumvent? Oh that's right...to make extra dough after the fact. I say leave it alone, as originally created/intended and let the market dictate what that means now and down the road. Or do more of your work in the physical realm, yes it takes more time and erasers..but that's what we collectors are paying out for too. And you'll get no pushback from us, if you're honest to your process. Some are not interested in light pencils, but at least it's hones. Mostly likely enough will still be into it that you can sell the originals (at what price though, a different matter). But no to the fraud with the intent to appeal and upcharge the marketplace.

I'd just frame the art on its own and have the published book/album cover/comic/whatever on hand nearby to show people where the art was used (if so desired). I think framing the art together with anything just distracts and detracts from the art itself. 2c

Yes the Obama shadowbox with the signed (with Sharpie!!) Shepard Fairey Time magazine cover, a MoveOn.org donation receipt and a ticket stub to the first Inauguration is equally awesome and cheesy.

I'm still impressed that anybody in other people's circles give a crp about comic/illustration art. Unless it's that ol' softie Norman Rockwell, nobody in my circle (of non-collectors) would ever ask, they don't even look at the stuff on the walls to begin with...unless it's "mature" and then they're all "oh my god, how can you hang that up in the living room??!" To which I reply, "easy, with a nail".

its all I can do to not buy that Top Gun piece...especially with free shipping :cloud9:

dont alter the painting

You can be my wingman anytime, Joe! (thumbs u

I guess what I'm trying to say is that IMO if you put the published art in the frame it has to be really, really small relative to the OA in order to not take the focus away from where it should be, the OA.

So I mainly agree with you but I can also see situations where its OK or even nice to have it in there. (But those situations will pretty much be outside of comic art.)

I like the way I have my framed art look. Cuts down on questions when non-fans get a look.

dboWnw5.jpg

I can’t bring myself to even consider altering original artwork, easy decision for me … sounds like you were, and still are, heading down the same path. Now let’s see the art … I am very curious to see what the painting looks like.

Now that I've posted the art to my CAF page, I figured I owed it to you all to show you the piece in question:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1272381&GSub=168629

:)

Perfect as is.

I wholeheartedly concur.

It sounds like you have a strong interest in seeing the cover mocked up on the piece. Did you consider have the original art scanned in hi resolution and copied onto another board and having the cover mockup additions added there? I would not know how this could be done but I am sure it is possible.

I think the art is very powerful and would not alter the material as that is how it was published.

Congrats on a magnificent piece!

It sounds like you have a strong interest in seeing the cover mocked up on the piece.

Not at all. Like I explained in my first post, the artist offered to add the title without me bringing up anything of the sort. I thought it was a nice gesture and potentially a free bonus, but the fact that I created this thread probably speak to the reservations I had. Anyway, as nice an offer as it was, I'm happy I declined.

I did this a long time ago on a Larson/de la Rosa piece I got from Sam (I hope I got your spelling right!). I knew at the time it wasn't correct dressing for the actual comic, but I wanted the "dressing", so this is what I was able to do. It's been on CAF for a long time with 1000+ visits and no-one has complained, granted a low-end piece. I'm certain whatever I did is reversible, but I would caution new collectors to heed the wise words of the boards, and resist making improvements directly on original art. Witness the blowback on restored comics, for example. 2c Best, Daviddreddboards_zpsluogst2s.jpg

You could try something like this example of a poster print I created to show off this Captain America cover art. Creating this allows you to have examples of dressed original art without disturbing the integrity of the original, and reduces the handling of the original when you are showing acquaintances examples from your collection. Best, Davidcapposter_zpsdtx9mbkz.jpg