• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got my signed comic back - question...

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just got my Stan Lee-signed edition of "X-Men at the State Fair of Texas" back from the CGC. It is the first/only Stan-signed comic I have, and the first/only comic I've submitted to the CGC.

It received an 8.5 grading, and was granted 'white pages'.

I was just curious how many other Stan-signed variants of this were out there, and if the Stan Lee sig may have killed the grade - which honestly I had this comic signed for personal reasons, so I'm not upset if that's the case, just curious.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Just got my Stan Lee-signed edition of "X-Men at the State Fair of Texas" back from the CGC. It is the first/only Stan-signed comic I have, and the first/only comic I've submitted to the CGC.

I was just curious how many other Stan-signed variants of this were out there, and if the Stan Lee sig may have killed the grade - which honestly I had this comic signed for personal reasons, so I'm not upset if that's the case, just curious.

Thanks!

There are 10 other SS copies of that book. The highest is a 9.6. It is very unlikely that Stan's sig lowered the grade of your book.

If you submitted it yourself you should be able to check the notes and see.

Thanks for the tip. Indeed I have now done this, and spotted what is apparently responsible for the grade. Definitely great eyes at the CGC team, because I didn't even notice this.

Out of curiosity -- and I am always hoping to learn more -- what was the subtle defect that brought it down?

Hi all,

Thanks!

There are 10 other SS copies of that book. The highest is a 9.6. It is very unlikely that Stan's sig lowered the grade of your book.

actually, before we assume anything, there is an additional question to be asked. What color is the label? Blue, green, or yellow (or purple)?

It's a yellow label. I'd upload an image if I could. :)

The grader described "bottom spine crunch."

In the lower left corner, in the corner of THAT corner, there is the smallest of 'crinkles', which I couldn't even observe until examined very, very closely.

I suppose it is what it is. I didn't get it signed to sell it. I got it signed because Stan is the man, and I value his contributions to society and my life. I'll be displaying it with pride.

Speaking as a collector of the Silver Age, I guess being a modern, that's all it takes. (shrug)

If that's the only defect, it would have to be a pretty significant corner crunch to drop it to an 8.5 - no different than on a SA book.

Speaking as a collector of the Silver Age, I guess being a modern, that's all it takes. (shrug)

If that's the only defect, it would have to be a pretty significant corner crunch to drop it to an 8.5 - no different than on a SA book.

It's seriously not observable unless looked at closely. "Significant" really overstates it.