• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are good guides / resources for Premium information?

10 posts in this topic

Please could you all let me know what are good general guides re: premium / promo material etc.

Ideally there would be a general book rather than item specific but you get the idea, I would love to get my hands on a resource covering some large ground. I don't need it to be a price guide or contemporary so that price info is relevant, I am simply interested in a survey of the field.

Thanks!

Scrooge

Please could you all let me know what are good general guides re: premium / promo material etc.

Ideally there would be a general book rather than item specific but you get the idea, I would love to get my hands on a resource covering some large ground. I don't need it to be a price guide or contemporary so that price info is relevant, I am simply interested in a survey of the field.

Thanks!

Scrooge

I assume you have already looked at the section in Overstreet. Apart from that, I don't know of any guides. Like you, I would be interested in reading one.

Thanks!

Scrooge

Are you looking for comic book giveaways? Or for buttons/flyers/etc related to comics? Licensed properties like toys/games? Do they have to be comic related or does anything related to pop culture apply?

Thanks!

Scrooge

I use any of the Hake's guides and auction catalogs I can get my hands on. Over the years they have had and offered just about anything premium related.

Are you looking for comic book giveaways? Or for buttons/flyers/etc related to comics? Licensed properties like toys/games? Do they have to be comic related or does anything related to pop culture apply?

Thanks guys, always happy to hear your expert's opinions.

As to AS's question, I'm looking at anything that would be associated with comics properties and / or strips. So, of course, your average cowboy (on its own, that's a lot of stuff right there for any one of the main guys) but also Straight Arrow, Bobby Benson, etc. but also Prince Valiant and others. If it were to cover the Shadow, Green Hornet etc. so much the better but I am interested in something that would cover most giveaways, premiums but also licensed products. I was curious to see if there was really anything more than the Hakes Guides out there and at first shot, not really?

There are so many items that fit your criteria that there are books devoted to different major characters like Superman, Batman, Shazam, Archie, Mickey etc. Each of those books is just a survey of that particular character.

For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Shazam-Golden-Worlds-Mightiest-Mortal/dp/0810995964/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438830009&sr=1-6&keywords=shazam

Although he is largely overlooked today, in the 1940s comic books starring Captain Marvel outsold even those of Superman. Book designer (and memorabilia collector) Kidd has assembled rare merchandise and promotional items issued during the character�s heyday. The oversize pages sport lovingly photographed toys, figurines, clothing, secret decoders, temporary tattoos, and other rare collectibles featuring the �World�s Mightiest Mortal� and such spin-off characters as Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel. Unfortunately, those unfamiliar with Captain Marvel will get little hint of just why his exploits were so popular: although Kidd includes a sampling of the comic�s covers and panels, only one complete story is reprinted, and it�s an atypical one drawn by celebrated superhero artists Jack Kirby and Joe Simon instead of premier Captain Marvel illustrator C. C. Beck. After a decade-long copyright-infringement suit by Superman�s publishers, the captain�s comic was discontinued in 1952. DC has since updated the character for modern readers, and his younger fans will likely be bemused by this testimony to his bygone popularity.

Here's a general one about Marvel

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Color-Guide-Marvel-Silver-Collectibles/dp/0981534902/ref=pd_sim_14_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0P20J5VZX477CKXBRKPY

We are good. I PM'd him. The book to get is The Hakes Guide to Character Toys. It features toys, premiums, advertising and comic book/strip characters. I would suggest it to all of you that even have a passing interest or enjoy my thread. Probably can get it on Amazon cheap. The prices are very wacked and "old school". Most of the more common stuff can be found WAY cheaper. The rare stuff though that is another story. I have looked for a US Jones pinback for about 25 years and have yet to see one. I do know of two that exist (one is Geppi's I think). If Ted Hake hasn't had one, nobody has...