• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck says that the Church copy of Detective Comics #1 was a VG+/FN-

15 posts in this topic

I wrote Chuck a few weeks ago asking him about the Church copy of Detective Comics #1. Here is his reply:

=====================================================

Dear Scott:

Please accept my apology for taking so long to write you back. This is our busy season, and I have been simply going crazy.

As regards Detective #1, the copy in the Mile High Collection was about a VG+/F-, with some wear and a small spine split. I sold it to Steve Geppi in 1988. It was one of the last Mile High books I ever sold, and it was one that I really hated to part with, as it was in the small group of special issues that I had set aside for myself.. Great cover! But I needed the money to keep Mile High alive, so Mr. Geppi pried it away from me. Sigh...

Not too much of a surprise here. I think it was generally well known that the Church copy of 'Tec #1 was only in the mid-grade range at best. I believe if you are hoping for something nicer, you are probably going to have to look at something like the Windy City copy.

BTW: Another super nice book that Chuck kept for his own personal collection as long as he could was Superman #14. Classic classic Superman patriotic black cover. cloud9.gif

he may still have the church copy of Red Raven Comics....

I could ask him and post his answer, but some wiseacre like Lou Fine would just come along and tell me that I'm not revealing any surprises. sorry.gif

Just kidding, LF. flowerred.gif

"Hmm.... All-Negro or Action #1, which should I keep?" HAHAHAHAHA!

Seems like you better find a new line of work when you have to sell off nearly priceless books to keep your albatross business afloat.

Seems to have worked out for him in the long run though, don't you think? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would say that selling off the books allowed Chuck to have the salary to collect many many thousands of Indian pottery which may well be worth more than he got for selling the comics over the years. I am sure though that he and others had the forsight to know the hugh increases in Uber high grade gold comics and the multiples of guide that they eventually grew to he would have figured out a way to hold onto more of them.

If i had the same crystal ball I would have known to invest maybe less than 10k down on another condo where I own 1 rental and watch as the market value increased from 80k to 330k

he may still have the church copy of Red Raven Comics....

I could ask him and post his answer, but some wiseacre like Lou Fine would just come along and tell me that I'm not revealing any surprises. sorry.gif

Just kidding, LF. flowerred.gif

He still has the RR #1 cloud9.gif and most (?) of the Spirits cloud9.gif

You misunderstand. Chuck's "indian pottery" collection is in fact a selection of porcelain beer steins sporting the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Washington Redskins and Kansas City Chiefs logos. And they're priceless.

You misunderstand. Chuck's "indian pottery" collection is in fact a selection of porcelain beer steins sporting the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Washington Redskins and Kansas City Chiefs logos. And they're priceless.

Now that's funny.

Sorry Chuck, but it was timed and placed just right.I had to laugh.