• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone read Planetary?

18 posts in this topic

Best series ever.

Start with the first trade if you decide to read it. Every issue is basically standalone, but there's an overall story that you need to keep up with.

The cover to 21 is one of my favorite recent covers.

I'll give the opposite view of Rob. I bought the first TPB of the 1st 6 issues with high expectations from all the good things I had heard about it. The first couple of issues were interesting enough to keep me wanting to read more. However by the time I got half way through I was bored with it. The characters did not seem that interesting, and the plots were tedious at best.

Although the artwork was well done, I just didn't think it was worth the praise it had been given. Somebody had mentioned that the series gets better beyond the first TPB, I just don't think it's worth it to find out.

I picked up the first couple of issues and just couldn't get into the storyline very much. I believe that I was tired of the "mysterious and unknown" group secretly saves the world. If I remember correctly Planetary came out about the same time as LOEG and the Invisibles...it seemed like everyone was trying to tell the same story. The artwork was tops though.

So on this occasion, Deathlok is not alone. 893whatthe.gif

There has been a glut of "unknown group secretly controlling the world" comics in recent years, but IMHO, Planetary is by far the best. Almost every issue is a distinct story that darkly reflect various fictional or comic characters or film genres. The first few issues cover Godzilla movies, Hong Kong action movies, Golden Age heroes, while the overarching storyline is the struggle between the Planetary corporation (who want are "trans-dimensional archaeologists" who want to keep the world safe ands weird) and the evil Four (guess who they are modeled after). The story is dense and there is very little explanation, only slow exposition to which you have to pay close attention. I've found that when a new issue comes out I will have to reread the last couple as well. This helps immensely because things that at first seemed to be barely worthy of notice turn out to have great import. The first few issues offer very little to go on, but there's a major revelation around #12 or so that flips the whole story around. You just have to be happy with the Monster Island and the John Woo ghost cop and Cassaday's art. After that you have enough to go on and the pieces start falling into place, or so it seems. The issue before last with the psychedelic cover that everyone loves is one that I read every night for a week. Just so awesome.

The issue before last with the psychedelic cover that everyone loves is one that I read every night for a week. Just so awesome.

893applaud-thumb.gif

732442-merico.jpg

That issue was great. I was reading The Elegant Universe at the same time and I was tickled pink that they sourced some of the same material.

732442-merico.jpg.c910308ea42388ad93e16615f0fe9e57.jpg

While I think Rick(deathlok) is a great guy, HE IS DEAD WRONG 893naughty-thumb.gif

This series rocks! headbang.gif

You are dead wrong. I am not a great guy. 893naughty-thumb.gif Don't anyone listen to him.

gossip.gif (Steve, you're ruining my rep on the boards. Ixnay on the icenay talk.)

Planetary kicks [#@$%!!!] in every way. this series is right up there with Y: The Last Man as one of the best comics out right now. Beautiful art--I love the little details like in #22 where the blood splatters right off the page. And that kung fu issue where the lady does some kind of electric super punch was amazing. It was like a mix between Crouching Tiger and The Last Electric Dragon. (Sho Nuff!!!) haha.

It was like a mix between Crouching Tiger and The Last Electric Dragon. (Sho Nuff!!!) haha.

That's Berry Gordy's "The Last Dragon".

shonuff.jpg

Planetary is fairly high up on my reading want list, but Y The Last Man is on deck.

Planetary is great. As stated, start with trade #1, move on to trade #2, then the uncollected books in order. To me, the series is less about secret societies controlling Earth than it is a deconstruction of 20th Century pulp fiction. You have to love what came before FF #1 to really appreciate Planetary.