• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four will historically be known as what killed the comic movie craze!

490 posts in this topic

what's the over/under on when this thread will eventually die?

I give it another three months minimum, possibly up to six. There will be a few more public statements from Fox, Trank, or someone else related to the film to talk about in upcoming weeks, and haterboys go on and on batting a turd around a lot longer than fanboys talk up a gem. :makepoint:

If he was miscast, then he was miscast. Race had nothing to do with it. If the movie is garbage, the movie is garbage. Race had nothing to do with it.

Race DID have something to do with it.

But that doesn't mean it's racist.

Talking about race isn't racist. Acknowledging race isn't racism. Acknowledging gender isn't sexism. Acknowledging age isn't ageism.

Those are only true if we judge a person's value as a human being based on their race, gender, or age. That's not at all what happened here. Michael B. Jordan isn't being judged as a person. He simply doesn't fit the visual appearance of the character they asked him to portray.

That would be true if it was him, a 10 year old Vietnamese girl, a 91 year old white man, or any other type of actor that doesn't accurately represent Johnny Storm's visual appearance as he was created.

"Racism" has nothing to do with it.

Yep.

I think I'm one of the few people who liked the movie but we'll just leave that point alone.

The changes to the FF didn't bother me which makes me wonder why that is, as I am usually more protective of source material. Perhaps because the FF is a serialization of over sixty years it leaves a little more leeway for new interpretations as opposed to a book - Lord of the Rings for example.

While I may not have had issues with the changes I think it a bit of a stretch to think it racist if you did.

The changes to the FF didn't bother me which makes me wonder why that is, as I am usually more protective of source material. Perhaps because the FF is a serialization of over sixty years it leaves a little more leeway for new interpretations as opposed to a book - Lord of the Rings for example.

I understand that thought process, but if you're going to tell the origin, or the original story of the FF, why wouldn't it be given the same consideration as a treasured book?

The only reason I can think of is the original story isn't respected. (shrug)

And that's why so many had a problem with it, or at least why I did.

To me, the 'Ultimate' titles were disrespectful in a similar way, in the same way 'Before' Watchmen was... create something new, quite trying to leech off the old and pretend it's some original vision. I find all of it boring.

Then again, I dislike 99% of all song remakes as well.

I understand that thought process, but if you're going to tell the origin, or the original story of the FF, why wouldn't it be given the same consideration as a treasured book?

To me, the 'Ultimate' titles were disrespectful in a similar way, in the same way 'Before' Watchmen was... create something new, quite trying to leech off the old and pretend it's some original vision. I find all of it boring.

Do you prefer the original over this? hm

I went and saw it with a friend. I did not enjoy it at all. My friend who is not a collector did not like it either. Aside from the characters not being recognizable, the story was just plain stupid. I could not feel any connection to any of the characters. It started with a silly scene and ended with a sillier scene. The movie just plodded along with fitful jerks.

I did get the feeling that Franklin and Johnny Storm were inserted as token black characters. Maybe because all these years, I did not envision the Storm family as black. To me, it just didn't work.

He did a great version of that song, but... I prefer the original.

I don't DISLIKE, Joe's version, so he would fit within the 1% that are acceptable to me.

To this day I can't believe Joe Cocker ever had a career.

He utterly, completely and absolutely sucks.

Horrible.

Woah :o I wasn't expecting that, at all.

I definitely respect your opinion, Chip, but I disagree in this specific case. I much prefer Cocker's version of The Letter to the original Box Tops track. :foryou: So much more soul, and more of a party.

Another well stated POV. :headbang:

All movie waves have to end. Batman (4) and Robin movie was supposed to be a guaranteed hit directed by Schumacher, starring George Clooney (Batman), Arnold Schwartzenegger (Mr Freeze), Uma Thurman (Poison Ivy), and Alicia Silverstone (Bat-girl) but it flopped and killed the Batman movie franchise for 8 years until the Dark knight 1 movie was relaunched by director Chris Nolan.

At least if the R rated Deadpool movie (Vancouver, BC), and Suicide Squad (Toronto, ON) movies flop, Canada won't be blamed for the downturn of all comic movies. :wishluck:

All movie waves have to end. Batman (4) and Robin movie was supposed to be a guaranteed hit directed by Schumacher, starring George Clooney (Batman), Arnold Schwartzenegger (Mr Freeze), Uma Thurman (Poison Ivy), and Alicia Silverstone (Bat-girl) but it flopped and killed the Batman movie franchise for 8 years until the Dark knight 1 movie was relaunched by director Chris Nolan.

At least if the R rated Deadpool movie (Vancouver, BC), and Suicide Squad (Toronto, ON) movies flop, Canada won't be blamed for the downturn of all comic movies. :wishluck:

True, but we're no where near that yet. What we do have is an outlier. FF was a troubled production on the fast track because the clock was ticking. The downside of licensing disputes is that it allows studios to churn out lesser quality productions branded Marvel that compete for audiences familiar with Disney and Marvel Studios well helmed efforts. The problem for Marvel is one of maintaining the expectations of their own branding. Will most filmgoers actually notice that a feature produced under license utilizing Marvel characters and carrying the Marvel Comics brand name in advertising isn't a product of Marvel Studios? IOW, will this stink rub off?

The studio property gamesmanship holds risks for all parties. Fox could lose a fortune producing sub-par superhero efforts to hold onto licensing rights without denting Marvel's current lock on the genre. OTOH, if public perception is that superhero movies have run their course and aren't kewl anymore it could eventually have an impact on Disney/Marvel Studio's bottom line. I'm sure that the executive boardrooms of both studios were a'buzz this week.

If I were to make an educated guess, I don't foresee Fox taking more risks with FF. In fact, they might even decide to cut their loses and sell the licensed rights back to Marvel Studios early or negotiate a co-production exchange for future considerations since this series has little potential in the near term for any studio. What Fox will probably do in respect to the X-Men is double-down on production oversight to insure the series remains popular as they've had consistent box office success with this franchise.

The only thing Hollywood understands ifs money.

Did it make money? Do it again.

Did it lose money? Don't do that again.

All other concerns are irrelevant.

Someone needs to get a better editor.

:baiting::foryou:

The only thing Hollywood understands if money.

Yup. Unless the CEO of Fox has invested in FF #1's. Then they might shoot for another remake.

The only thing Hollywood understands if money.

Yup. Unless the CEO of Fox has invested in FF #1's. Then they might shoot for another remake.

lol

*I* need an editor!

Good points. We've had 60 years of FF stories where elements of the origin were revisited and updated. Ditto for Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, etc. I think Marvel has done a decent job disrespecting their own character's history that I cannot fault a movie for doing the same.

Probably the best example is Spider-Man. Animal totems. :facepalm: And now another hero was created from the spider bite. Nothing Hollywood does get anymore disrespectful than that IMHO.