• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four will historically be known as what killed the comic movie craze!

490 posts in this topic

FF only did $1.4MIL in it's Thursday after it's opening weekend.... here are some comparison's:

GOTG $7.6MIL

Ant-Man $4.7MIL

Green Lantern $3.7MIL

Green Hornet $1.6MIL

FF did LESS than Green Hornet in it's Thursday after opening weekend, and Green Hornet opened in JANUARY.

Ouch.

Another bomb, John Carter, did $2.1 mil in it's Thursday after opening. JC made $13.5mil it's second weekend. I don't think FF will come close to that. Maybe $10mil for FF.

JC opened at $30mil and went on to make $73mil. I don't think FF will come close to that either.

Are there any final domestic projections for FF? Can it hit $60mil?

The question is will Ant-Man make more this weekend than FF?

Ant-Man has one solid week left of having one theater dedicated it all day long at most multiplexes after that the following two to three screenings a day and out of most theaters the following.

That's not necessarily true....

If you look at similar type movies, with +$50MIL opening months (but under $60MIL) for July, most of those movies all ran longer.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (July 15, 2005) stayed in at least 2000 theaters for another 2 weeks past that same time frame and at least 1000 theaters for two weeks after that running all the way through until December 8th. It picked up another 28MIL over that time period.

The First Fantastic Four (July 8, 2005) stayed in at least 2000 theaters for another week past that same time frame and at least 1000 theaters for another week after that running all the way through until the middle of November. It picked up another 15MIL over that time period, and has nowhere near the positive reviews and audience reaction Ant-Man has.

Even The Wolverine (July 26, 2013) which dropped theaters fast after it's 4 weeks ran all the way through until December 5th, and picked up another 10MIL over that time period, but it had already dropped out of the Top 10 a week earlier, and was going against the surprise hit in We're the Millers.

Thursday night, Ant-Man was still ranked #5, and the schedule for the next couple of months looks relatively week.

You can't compare 2005 to now. In today's theaters the average run of a film in a first run theater is 4 weeks or less. This film's run in most first run theaters is over with following next week. As far as less competition that is because everyone in the U.S. is back in school.

The question is will Ant-Man make more this weekend than FF?

Ant-Man has one solid week left of having one theater dedicated it all day long at most multiplexes after that the following two to three screenings a day and out of most theaters the following.

That's not necessarily true....

If you look at similar type movies, with +$50MIL opening months (but under $60MIL) for July, most of those movies all ran longer.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (July 15, 2005) stayed in at least 2000 theaters for another 2 weeks past that same time frame and at least 1000 theaters for two weeks after that running all the way through until December 8th. It picked up another 28MIL over that time period.

The First Fantastic Four (July 8, 2005) stayed in at least 2000 theaters for another week past that same time frame and at least 1000 theaters for another week after that running all the way through until the middle of November. It picked up another 15MIL over that time period, and has nowhere near the positive reviews and audience reaction Ant-Man has.

Even The Wolverine (July 26, 2013) which dropped theaters fast after it's 4 weeks ran all the way through until December 5th, and picked up another 10MIL over that time period, but it had already dropped out of the Top 10 a week earlier, and was going against the surprise hit in We're the Millers.

Thursday night, Ant-Man was still ranked #5, and the schedule for the next couple of months looks relatively week.

You can't compare 2005 to now. In today's theaters the average run of a film in a first run theater is 4 weeks or less. This film's run in most first run theaters is over with following next week. As far as less competition that is because everyone in the U.S. is back in school.

Gone Girl - over 2000 theaters for 7 weeks - ran for almost 5 months - did $167MIL

50 shades of Grey - over 2000 theaters for 7 weeks - ran for 3 months - did $162MIL

those were both R rated movies...

SpongeBob movie- over 2000 theaters for 7 weeks - ran for 4 months - did $162MIL

Big Hero 6 - over 2000 theaters for 9 weeks - ran for over 3 months - did $228MIL

those were young viewer movies...

People may be back in school, but theaters still want movies that draw people in, and Ant-Man may keep a place because it's customer satisfaction rating is way high.

Kate Mara funfact #49,983

She had forcefields in Zoom too.

But, that comicbook wannabe movie was awful.

Coincidentally, it didn't make money either.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=zoom.htm

I figure the only way that movie could make money is if people started chucking them out of their automobiles along highways causing state troopers to fine you for littering and dumping garbage along state roads. hm

Finally saw FF 4 with my daughter yesterday. I thought it was ok but the ending just plain sucked. Definetely not the worse movie I've seen but I left hoping there was not going to be a sequel.

Finally saw FF 4 with my daughter yesterday. I thought it was ok but the ending just plain sucked. Definetely not the worse movie I've seen but I left hoping there was not going to be a sequel.

You procreated!?? :o:grin:

You procreated!?? :o:grin:

Sometimes daughters are adopted, as we learned from a recent movie.

Bottom six comic book movies on Rotten Tomatoes as of today

6. Superman IV 12%

5. Jonah Hex 12%

4. Batman and Robin 11%

3. Elektra 10%

2. Catwoman 9%

1. Fantastic Four 8%

Wow. I would put Ghost Rider: Spirit of Whatever, RIPD, Punisher: War Zone under Elektra, myself. hm

Bottom six comic book movies on Rotten Tomatoes as of today

6. Superman IV 12%

5. Jonah Hex 12%

4. Batman and Robin 11%

3. Elektra 10%

2. Catwoman 9%

1. Fantastic Four 8%

Can you imagine being Josh Trank right now? Director of the worst comic book film in history, one of the worst movies ever made, and a box office bomb. The entire story behind the movie would make for a fascinating book.