• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swapped book or huge error by CGC

72 posts in this topic

So you are returning it? Sellers just can't win currently. If he didn't swap the books then he sold you exactly what you bought - a CGC 9.0 comic. Sounds like you bought it on E-Bay so he has a no questions asked return policy no matter if he wanted to or not. Can you return a de slabbed copy if he sold you a slabbed one? No sure how that works.

Not returning it or asking for a refund. Its not his fault CGC screwed up.

Cool - misread what you said earlier. Tough to get a graded book that looks like that but the seller probably thought he had a properly graded book.

My personal opinion is that once the book is removed from the case, then any returns are out the window. It was bought as a CGC 9.0, it was received as a CGC 9.0 and once it's removed from the slab, that guarantee is null and void.

Looks like a book that might have had a poor quick press job done to it and the paper memory kicked in and it returned to its former state. Sucks, but that's what you risk in the pressing era.

There are two choices:

A) A nefarious scheme to sell a $10 book for $36, by swapping out a mid grade with hidden damage for a 9.0 that is kept raw in the schemer's collection - or maybe resubbed for a higher grade.

B) CGC missed the boat on grading the book, which while unusual, is hardly without precedent.

While I think many would rather it be A, if only for piece of mind concerning their own slabbed books, logic would indicate B is the more likely choice.

Occam's Razor says slabbed gift grade with post slab water seepage after someone set slab down next to cold drink.

Hmmm.

As has been said, it's possible the book was water damaged post slabbing. Slabs aren't water proof.

Without seeing the book in hand, it's hard to tell if it was *that* badly overgraded or not. You can see it in hand, Brian, so you know exactly what it looks like, and how it's represented in the pics, but everyone else is just looking at close-up pics, and it may look worse in the pics than in real life.

As Davenport said, it's hard to imagine someone doing this with such a low value book. Sure, it could be a "trial run", but then why sell it? It's a lot of work for no real gain.

By the way....this is why the grader notes should be more specific. Not that the graders have time to do it, but it would help identify books. 1/4" inch CB crease in BRC" is a lot better than "lite crease bottom right".

PS. CGC should consider having a proprietary security feature (mark) on the inner well to id tampering.

Yes Yes on the security feature... (thumbs u

Occam's Razor says slabbed gift grade with post slab water seepage after someone set slab down next to cold drink.
Occam's Razor sez public perception projected on to 'CGC 9.0' might collide with reality at times.

There's a spread inherent in CGC 9.0. Right? A lower end and an upper end. Plus you don't get the info on "each grader" anymore, such as 8.5/8.5/9.0 (and they go with 9.0 for whatever reason).

Anyway, we're in opinion territory and that's mine. 'CGC 9.0' is where "used book" kicks in (as opposed to the "new, as published" upper grades). IMHO. "CGC 9.0" is what it is, which might include a shock to the senses, depending on expectations.

I don't believe it looks to be a swapped book. If swapped it was done for fun, not profit. The grading just looks to have been loose that day.

From the picture, I'm not 100% for sure I'm looking at a water stain. It seems to have a bit of a reddish tint. Not what you expect from moisture stains.

Also is it possible to have the water damage occur post slabbed (water damaged while book was in the slab)

Which pic shows the water damage?

I see some reddish tinge on a couple of the pics which looks like potential distributor ink.

Is there one pic that clearly shows the stain?

This.

The more I look at that pic, the more I think it could easily be distributor ink.

In which case, the grade would be perfectly in line with the remaining defects.

This is where it would be great if grader's notes called out stuff like that.

Example:

2" distributor ink LRFC and two interior pages, does not affect grade

X number of spine tics

etc.

I don't believe it looks to be a swapped book. If swapped it was done for fun, not profit. The grading just looks to have been loose that day.

Really loose. :eek:

From the picture, I'm not 100% for sure I'm looking at a water stain. It seems to have a bit of a reddish tint. Not what you expect from moisture stains.

Do you guys saying this not see the damage on the interior pages or not know what water/moisture damage looks like?

I spoke to the seller. No, I didn't ask for a refund as the book clearly isn't in the shape that I bought it. He submitted the books himself. He was a bit perplexed as to why I would take it out as you are supose to keep them in he slab. lol

....??

YOU CAN TAKE THEM OUT??

:o

( ;) )

lollol

:banana: Chris

PS. Books aren't looked at by 3 graders anymore, and haven't been for a long time:

"Due to the fragile nature of comic books, CGC does not offer a grading guarantee. However, CGC does offer the following guarantee: a) CGC guarantees that two or more comic professionals will review every comic book submitted for grading"

http://www.cgccomics.com/faq/index.asp#gradingFAQ14

What is a "comic professional"...? Nobody but CGC knows.

;)

I spoke to the seller. He was very nice and offered a partial refund which I declined After emailing him I feel he didnt swap anything out it is just poorly graded. There are multiple indents, a thumb crease at the top of the book going through it. A 2-3inch wrinkle across the front cover spine ticks a huge spine ding as if the book was bent, and yes the water damage.

Sorry for errors texting from my phone