• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a Metropolis vs. CGC grading thread

94 posts in this topic

Haven't seen one of these in a while. Sent 2 books bought from Metro a few years back out to CGC, just came back in.

Action 60- Metro 5.5 "stunning white pages!" : CGC 4.5 white/off white

Action 61 - Metro 5.0 white/off white : CGC 4.0 white off white

Mildly disappointed, but not the worst....

My Action 39 got a nice press and clean and ended up a 6.0, which made up for it. :)

These are my results over the years, all Golden Age

Metro 9.6

CGC 9.6

Metro 9.2

CGC 9.0

Metro 9.0

CGC 9.0

Metro 9.0

CGC 8.5

Metro 9.4

CGC 9.2

Metro 9.4

CGC 9.2

Metro 2.0

I sold as 1.8, buyer slabbed CGC 1.5

Metro 4.0?

CGC App (4.0) color touch

I have slabbed two others but don't remember Metro's grade

For my raw GA Metro pick-ups:

Metro: 8.5

CGC: 8.5

Metro: 4.0

CGC: 4.5

Metro: 6.5

CGC: 6.5

Metro: 4.0

CGC: 3.0

I've submitted maybe 15 or so Metro-purchased SA books to CGC, and generally the same results (these are very approximate percentages): about 55% get the same grade, about 35% are overgraded (i.e., the disappointment) by a half grade or a whole grade, and maybe 10% are undergraded (i.e., the pleasant surprise) by a half grade.

But bear in mind they have a clear 10-day return policy, no questions asked, so ultimately the buyer needs to look at the book carefully.

bought from Metro

this was your first mistake, I haven't bought from them since 2009. won a raw Action Comics 22 in one of their CC auctions, described as 6.5. when I got the book, the cover was detached at both staples. I called to return the book, they put Fishler on the phone. I told him the situation, and all he kept saying was "the cover is detached???", he was very angry and finally, begrudgingly, he told me to send the book back. I did get a return, but I am now on their "as is, no returns" list. meaning any book I buy from them, I buy as is with no return,. no thanks. there are plenty of other dealers, websites to get books from, recently bought from Gator, Blazingbob and Jim Payette, with great grading and no issues.

bought from Metro

this was your first mistake, I haven't bought from them since 2009. won a raw Action Comics 22 in one of their CC auctions, described as 6.5. when I got the book, the cover was detached at both staples. I called to return the book, they put Fishler on the phone. I told him the situation, and all he kept saying was "the cover is detached???", he was very angry and finally, begrudgingly, he told me to send the book back. I did get a return, but I am now on their "as is, no returns" list. meaning any book I buy from them, I buy as is with no return,. no thanks. there are plenty of other dealers, websites to get books from, recently bought from Gator, Blazingbob and Jim Payette, with great grading and no issues.

If posting in this thread don't take the same route to work every day

Was my first batch of CGC submissions. Certainly convinced me to not do it again, just buy slabbed in the first place. :)

I've rarely had an issue with Metro grading coming up short in comparison with CGC. Yes, I've had occasional disappointments with raw submissions, but there've been pleasant surprises too. In my experience Metro's grading is pretty consistent with CGC, and when there are discrepancies, it usually isn't more than a half point in either direction. Of course, everyone's mileage varies.

I would say of the Metro raws I've submitted lately, most have come back lower and a couple came back (after pressing) at the advertised grade. None came back higher, even after pressing. One book I paid through the nose for as a raw 9.4 came back (after a press) as a 9.0, which means -- as you might guess -- I would take a bath on it were I to sell it.

My sad conclusion is that I won't buy any more raws from them except for low-grade, low-dollar filler copies.

Edited to add: With any dealer, I suppose the wheels should start turning if they are selling a supposedly high-grade book without getting it graded first.

This is valuable information as I have spent around $500 on silver and bronze with them in the last 5 or 6 weeks.It appears they are generally selling books a tick over-graded.

One question: Is this conclusion based exclusively on golden age books?

I would say of the Metro raws I've submitted lately, most have come back lower and a couple came back (after pressing) at the advertised grade. None came back higher, even after pressing. One book I paid through the nose for as a raw 9.4 came back (after a press) as a 9.0, which means -- as you might guess -- I would take a bath on it were I to sell it.

My sad conclusion is that I won't buy any more raws from them except for low-grade, low-dollar filler copies.

Edited to add: With any dealer, I suppose the wheels should start turning if they are selling a supposedly high-grade book without getting it graded first.

That grade is far enough off that you should've contacted them about it after CGC grading. I don't know what Metro's policy is, but I'd be surprised if they didn't work with you to reconcile the difference in value. My 2c

recently bought from Gator, BazingBob and Jim Payette, with great grading and no issues.

Well dude, that's what'cha get for buyin' the grades instead of the funny books. :kidaround:

well, there are a handful of people I buy from without that sinking feeling in my stomach that I've just been had.

P.S. I got the joke, but Gator has lots of ISSUES.. lol