• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON - Your alternative to poorly reviewed comic book movies

43 posts in this topic

And it even has a comic based on it too :D

nwa%20rock%20and%20roll_zpsqykq86f0.jpg

I went to see STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON this past Friday and was literally blown away. Loved every minute of it from start to finish and was reminded of how important of a band NWA actually was.

I worked in a Record Bar retail outlet in Knoxville back in the late 80's through around '91 and was at eye level of the beginnings of "gangsta rap". Angry parents, protesting mobs, L.A. Raiders gear... were everywhere.

I'd like to compare this with the founding of Image Comics as well lol

But seriously... do yourself a favor and watch this movie. ;)

I've been wanting to see this movie ever since I saw the trailer for it. I grew up on gangster rap in the early 90's. I had the angry parents that you speak of, so I always had to hide it, and listen to it on my walkman.

This was my first exposure to Ice Cube...

I was hooked ever since.

The Roots did it justice :D

xxx ooo

Rupp

That's actually Cube himself performing with the Roots before he did a guest appearance on Fallon.

The Roots did it justice :D

xxx ooo

Rupp

That's actually Cube himself performing with the Roots before he did a guest appearance on Fallon.

Awesome !

I thought that Kirk Douglas did excellent on Eazy's part as well. That guy is extremely talented... as is the whole band.

I've been wanting to see this movie ever since I saw the trailer for it. I grew up on gangster rap in the early 90's. I had the angry parents that you speak of, so I always had to hide it, and listen to it on my walkman.

This was my first exposure to Ice Cube...

I was hooked ever since.

Loved it. The last Cube song I really enjoyed was "Pushin' Weight". Just a great workout tune.

Word on the street is was that this movie is Golden Globe quality. I really want to see this movie. Hopefully this week! Also grew up listening to gangster rap in the 90's thanks to my older brother who would be blasting it in his car and at home. That was the age of rap, hip/hop which cannot be found today.

Word on the street is was that this movie is Golden Globe quality. I really want to see this movie. Hopefully this week! Also grew up listening to gangster rap in the 90's thanks to my older brother who would be blasting it in his car and at home. That was the age of rap, hip/hop which cannot be found today.

Definitely an Oscar caliber movie.

One scene shows Dre telling his mom he's making bank... which was $50 for a DJ job.

This is such a great beginning to his rise that cumulated with selling Beats Electronics to Apple for $3 billion in cash and stock :o

Definitely an Oscar caliber movie.

One scene shows Dre telling his mom he's making bank... which was $50 for a DJ job.

This is such a great beginning to his rise that cumulated with selling Beats Electronics to Apple for $3 billion in cash and stock :o

What a great businessman (worship)

I'm in the same boat as most of you guys. This was my formative years. This was the era of great rap/hip-hop. And everything from casting Cube's kid as his old man to the tone of it looks like everything I could have wanted. NWA was the angrier flip-side of the same F-Authority coin that was the punk rock movement.

I've wanted to see this movie since I first saw the trailer. I'm seeing it this week without a doubt.

While most Oscar worthy films that the studios want to push are released in November and December based on how outstanding this film was and how politically correct the Academy wants to be right now I can make a few predictions.

At least for nominations

Best Picture

Best Director - F Gary Gray

Best Original Screenplay - Jonathan Herman and Andrea Berloff

Best Actor - O'Shea Jackson, Jr

Best Suppoting Actor - Paul Giamatti

Best Production Design

and probably a few more categories

Saw it tonight. Overall, a really good flick. First half was off the charts, but the second half gets a little bit melodramatic. Crackles with energy. The concert setting in Detroit alone has more juice than most movies can produce in 2 hrs.

Really strong effort. Won't be shocked at all at a BP nomination for the movie.

That was the age of rap, hip/hop which cannot be found today.

As disappointing as that might be, I think it just makes that era even more special.

When I was about 15, I saw Ice Cube open for Korn on the Family Values Tour, and I remember thinking, "Man, what the hell happened to hip hop?", and then I remember thinking, "Why the hell isn't Korn opening up for Ice Cube?".