• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON - Your alternative to poorly reviewed comic book movies

43 posts in this topic

NWA was the angrier flip-side of the same F-Authority coin that was the punk rock movement.

Also being a fan of punk rock, I'm kinda surprised I never thought of it that way. hm

Yeah... I mean, if the punk rock movement was the F-Authority middle finger for angry suburban white kids, then NWA was the angrier metaphorical brother-from-another-mother of the same movement for urban minority kids.

That was the age of rap, hip/hop which cannot be found today.

As disappointing as that might be, I think it just makes that era even more special.

When I was about 15, I saw Ice Cube open for Korn on the Family Values Tour, and I remember thinking, "Man, what the hell happened to hip hop?", and then I remember thinking, "Why the hell isn't Korn opening up for Ice Cube?".

I remember that tour. It was excellent. And seeing Cube live was awesome. Even if he was an opening act (though I remember seeing DMX the same year live & that was absolutely amazing... it was between his 1st and 2nd major label record)

Straight Outta Compton was the first cassette tape i ever bought. i'll never forget my dad finding it. I thought he was gonna whoop my . instead he told me "you know, you can't say the curse words and the n word right?" Which i didn't, so he was cool with it. this was when i found out that my father wanted me to have freedom in choosing what kind of music i listened to. His parents told him that Rock was the devil's music, and he hated that, and he vowed to not repeat it with his kids.

Lost in all the protests was how politically aware Straight Outta Compton is. Between Dopeman, F*** the Police, and Express Yourself, it's right up there with PE's It Takes a Nation of Millions....and for me, everything that NWA rapped about was what i was seeing on a daily basis. i grew up in Pomona CA, which we called Compton Lite, and this album spoke to me in a way that Run DMC and LL couldn't.

O'shea Jackson Jr., and especially Jason Mitchell, stood out, but the whole cast was great. THe movie really loses focus after No Vaseline, but it's definitely one of the best movies i've seen.

I never cared for the music itself. The implosion of the band later is just another sad statistic in a greedy music environment.

I was happy to see the talented ones survive and thrive. I recognize their influence on culture, hip hop, and to a larger part society's viewpoints of that life, but it didn't interest me in the least as a teenager.

I was too busy being poor, working in high school, and again in college to get an education and make a living during that time period. I will watch the movie for its historical/cultural significance, but that's about it. I just felt some of their anger sent the wrong message and still does.

I never cared for the music itself. The implosion of the band later is just another sad statistic in a greedy music environment.

I was happy to see the talented ones survive and thrive. I recognize their influence on culture, hip hop, and to a larger part society's viewpoints of that life, but it didn't interest me in the least as a teenager.

I was too busy being poor, working in high school, and again in college to get an education and make a living during that time period. I will watch the movie for its historical/cultural significance, but that's about it. I just felt some of their anger sent the wrong message and still does.

Well said and I could understand how some feel that way.

I never really thought of their music really as a message, but more of a statement of what their life in Compton was like.

I was never a black teenager living in LA in the late 80's either... so could see how some could take it as a message, a statement or even just great marketing.

I do feel that those guys were a product of their environment and that they definitely lit the fuse that was lying in front of them concerning race relations as they saw them at that point in time.

Interesting parallel from that time frame to now... especially in regards to questionable police action, etc. History is doomed to continually repeat itself in some form or another I suppose. hm

Traditionally I always take Monday off after Chicago to recover. I decided to take in the 1:05 showing of SOC, as everybody else was working and nobody had any interest in seeing it with me anyways. Was a totally amazing experience, as I was the sole, solitary person in the theatre. I didn't have to shut off my cell phone, I could put my feet wherever I wanted, and my favourite part was I got to rap out loud at the top of my lungs whenever a musical interlude was shown. A true experience which must have added to my experience just that much more.

Jim

Not to take away from this movie at all, but with no real dominating weekend challengers to speak of...

'Compton' Three-peats

Forecast Update: Looks like that headline, "'Compton' Three-peats," should have had a question mark behind it. Sony is reporting that War Room, the faith-based film from the Kendrick brothers, made $3.87M in Friday receipts while Universal reports that Straight Outta Compton made $3.83M.

It may not be enough to take the weekend though as Sony is also projecting that War Room makes $10 - $10.5M by Sunday night. Universal places Compton at $12.3M.

Forecast (August 28 - Aug. 30)

1. Straight Outta Compton - $15M

2. The War Room - $10M

3. No Escape - $9.5M

4. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - $6.5M

5. Sinister 2 - $5.5M

Not to take away from this movie at all, but with no real dominating weekend challengers to speak of...

'Compton' Three-peats

Forecast Update: Looks like that headline, "'Compton' Three-peats," should have had a question mark behind it. Sony is reporting that War Room, the faith-based film from the Kendrick brothers, made $3.87M in Friday receipts while Universal reports that Straight Outta Compton made $3.83M.

It may not be enough to take the weekend though as Sony is also projecting that War Room makes $10 - $10.5M by Sunday night. Universal places Compton at $12.3M.

Forecast (August 28 - Aug. 30)

1. Straight Outta Compton - $15M

2. The War Room - $10M

3. No Escape - $9.5M

4. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - $6.5M

5. Sinister 2 - $5.5M

Big write up in this week's EW mag plus the lack of anything else coming out in the next little bit should keep SOC on top for a few more weeks :)

I must say I wish I would have went to see SOC again rather than sitting through the hell know as Sinister 2 :(

Traditionally I always take Monday off after Chicago to recover. I decided to take in the 1:05 showing of SOC, as everybody else was working and nobody had any interest in seeing it with me anyways. Was a totally amazing experience, as I was the sole, solitary person in the theatre. I didn't have to shut off my cell phone, I could put my feet wherever I wanted, and my favourite part was I got to rap out loud at the top of my lungs whenever a musical interlude was shown. A true experience which must have added to my experience just that much more.

Jim

.... rapping to yourself in a dark theatre ? Youre lucky they didn't cart you off to the asylum :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've been wanting to see this movie ever since I saw the trailer for it. I grew up on gangster rap in the early 90's. I had the angry parents that you speak of, so I always had to hide it, and listen to it on my walkman.

This was my first exposure to Ice Cube...

I was hooked ever since.

Loved it. The last Cube song I really enjoyed was "Pushin' Weight". Just a great workout tune.

"Uh - Yeah, Yeah"

I've been wanting to see this movie ever since I saw the trailer for it. I grew up on gangster rap in the early 90's. I had the angry parents that you speak of, so I always had to hide it, and listen to it on my walkman.

I was hooked ever since.

Loved it. The last Cube song I really enjoyed was "Pushin' Weight". Just a great workout tune.

"Uh - Yeah, Yeah"

Close Dan lol

My favorite line is the one with "patterns on they hankey" lol

-------------------------------

Yeah

Blaze one for the nation

I got lyrics that wake up spirits

They told me how to make big hits and spend digits

Can you dig it?

You fed, you dead, see red

My lead, yo head, I fed, like you s----

I got rhymes push that s--- like weight

My n---- Lincoln help me navigate

Through this hate retaliate, it's official

I got that bomb, bomb, diddy, diddy, diddy, bomb, bomb

When I hit you, push the issue, my ghetto dope is amazin'

The b---- that's with you already know that I'm blazin'

That's by the number, we can slumber, on the under

Girl no wonder, you got a a-- full of thunder

The frozen Tundra ain't cold enough

And baby ain't old enough for this game, I'm rollin' up

De-zamn, it feels good to be the don

Straight legit, while n----- like Gotti just sit

A yeah yeah

I push rhymes like weight

A yeah yeah

A yeah yeah

A yeah yeah

I hold zone like a Corleone, no more f----- with that homegrown

Hit the s--- we on, the rolleo's and the baggetts

You still f---- with them ------- , we turn haters into maggets

Oak on the dash, but no coke on the hash

You broke a-- n---- learn to mash, like me, yeah

Constantly, put the hustle down

With four or five n----- that's musclebound

Send your head to the taxidermist

Won't be satisfied, till I get my face on a thermos

You got to earn this, you can't take it

Can't fake it, got to live it, or we gots to visit

Who is it? The exquisite, Don Mega

Walkin' with my entourage, I think I'm betta, makin' chedda

You see me sag in my Jag, with the rag recognize the flag

You betta get back

Everybody wanna do it like me, I got it made

Been makin' rap money since the tenth grade

Ch-ching

Since the tenth grade

Ch-ching

What you need?

A yeah yeah

A yeah yeah

A yeah yeah

A yeah yeah

I keeps a firm grip on my s--- when in transit

Uncandid, it's the young bandit

Fresh out the trenches, the wood works

City of the Tempeon, where the hoods lurk

In search of the rich blocks, to lick spots, and kick rocks

From shattered glass, down the pig locks

Want tips by the clock

You n------ scramblin for fouyan

And settle for crumbs and croutans

I'm out for armored bucks and armored trucks, with armed killas

B---- n------ get swallowed by the armadillos

Ain't no harmin' me, the army full honary n----- you can't see

So while you pace b---- and saturns livin' jenky

I hangs with n----- who got patterns on they hankey

After Ben Frankeys, with the big skullen eyes

You n----- bound and nullified

Sit back and mine stack it multiply

A yeah yeah

A yeah yeah

A yeah yeah

A yeah yeah

Ask about me

Worldwide baby, worldwide baby

A yeah yeah

Ice Cube makin' more money in the rap game

Than some of you can with a bird in your hand

A yeah yeah

Puttin' it down

We wanted in fifty states for this weight

A yeah yeah

Pushin' rhymes like weight

Pushin' rhymes like weight

A yeah yeah

Yeah, blaze one for the nation

A yeah yeah

You know my name

You know my name

A yeah yeah

You know my name

Yeah, some of you fools just got in it

And think you gonna change the game, uh

You ain't changin' nothin'

I been doin' this, I been doin' this

Yeah, uh

Ask about me

Ask about me

I was hooked ever since.

"Uh - Yeah, Yeah"

Close Dan lol

Come on - :baiting:

I like in Dr Frankenstein when he answers the knock on the door with "What is it!"

I was hooked ever since.

"Uh - Yeah, Yeah"

Close Dan lol

Come on - :baiting:

I like in Dr Frankenstein when he answers the knock on the door with "What is it!"

I was just hoping you would be impressed that I edited that whole song for general consumption lol