• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It Follows, and other horror movies that annoyed you

78 posts in this topic

Sadly, Walmart hasn't been putting out too many new $10 horror-thriller dvds lately. I think I've bought about one a week since 2003. I think I bought The Northmen last week (about vikings) to go with Unfriended. This week there was nothing to go with my Disney Short Films purchase other than Strangerland (missing kids in Australia) at Target.

Well anyway, I didn't care to much for The Last Survivors's end, with Haley Lu Richardson. It started really strong like WolfCop but unraveled by the end. It was shot beautifully by the way, for a b-movie.

Sadly, Walmart hasn't been putting out too many new $10 horror-thriller dvds lately. I think I've bought about one a week since 2003. I think I bought The Northmen last week (about vikings) to go with Unfriended. This week there was nothing to go with my Disney Short Films purchase other than Strangerland (missing kids in Australia) at Target.

Well anyway, I didn't care to much for The Last Survivors's end, with Haley Lu Richardson. It started really strong like WolfCop but unraveled by the end. It was shot beautifully by the way, for a b-movie.

Give Wyrmwood a chance. Crazy Australians lol

I like It Follows enough that I just bought the blu-ray last night.

Sucky plot --agreed-- but I really liked the soundtrack (amazingly it was done single handedly by some game soundtrack guy). Liked the actors, the milieu, and the way it was filmed. Plight of the kids reminded me a bit of Halloween or Donnie Darko.

A lot of people loved it and a lot hated it on the blu ray film forums.

A horror film... some rave about... that annoys me? The Babadook... the Babadook the Babadook... wwwaaaaaaaaaa... shut that psychopathic kid up will you!

+1 with everything said.

It follows, bought the Blu Ray

Babadook, terrible. Annoying Overacting, depressing, sometimes boring.

It looks like the husband may be the real bad guy, because he did something incredibly horrible to the stalker back in high school...like Billy Madison :grin:

Yep. It's more of a revenge flick than a stalker flick, but that becomes clear about halfway through. It's more similar to "Gone Girl" than "Unlawful Entry" because everything changes at the midpoint, except there is no moral clarity in "The Gift" as we had in "Gone Girl" where it's obvious that Rosamund Pike's character is a complete nutjob. I liked the story and character development in "The Gift" more than "Gone Girl," but I found Rosamund Pike's performance to be so incredible that I can't say which of the two films I liked better overall.

Hands down the BEST horror movie in a long, long time was 'Housebound'. Great writing, great acting, clever, fresh, funny, creepy.

5 solid stars across the board.

11731935.jpg

Fun movie, but by no means the best horror movie hands down in a long time

Which one would trump it? (so I can be sure and check it out :grin:) Better writing, clever and fresh, more irreverent and trope-twisting surprises? Those are the elements that define "best" for me. Something unexpected, unpredictable, and very well done.

In the Horror genre that's kinda rare. The vast majority of horror films on Nexflix rate only a star or 2 from viewers, 3 if they're an exceptional cut above.

Give me your idea of a long, long time and I'll see about tossing some horror movie names out that I liked from those years

BTW if you liked Housebound- you may dig "You're Next". I saw similarities between those movies. I'm not saying one copied the other at all, I really dug them both. Both are fun in the same way.

Thanks, I'll check it out. (thumbs u

And by 'long, long time', I don't know. I'm mainly going by Netflix offerings. I mentioned "After" (from 2012) over in the Wolf Cop thread. That one blew me away. Probably more 'dark fantasy' than 'horror'. And I thought 'Tucker & Dale vs. Evil' was clever and done well, it was from 2011.

Though it was a remake, I thought Silent House was pretty solid. The original was shot in one take, but the remake only imitated the style.

Btw, watch this movie with headphones. There's creepy sounds throughout a lot of it that you probably wouldn't hear otherwise.

Give me your idea of a long, long time and I'll see about tossing some horror movie names out that I liked from those years

BTW if you liked Housebound- you may dig "You're Next". I saw similarities between those movies. I'm not saying one copied the other at all, I really dug them both. Both are fun in the same way.

Thanks, I'll check it out. (thumbs u

And by 'long, long time', I don't know. I'm mainly going by Netflix offerings. I mentioned "After" (from 2012) over in the Wolf Cop thread. That one blew me away. Probably more 'dark fantasy' than 'horror'. And I thought 'Tucker & Dale vs. Evil' was clever and done well, it was from 2011.

I dont think I saw either of the 2 you mentioned so I'll be sure to check them out. I think I have WolfCop- saw the trailer, looked great. Still have to get to that one.

Good horror movies from just the last few years- how about the first Insidious? I thought that was great. I liked Sinister also

"After" made my top 10 of the last 10 years of horror movies. Loved it.

The best horror film of the last decade (to me ;) ) comes from the French... "Inside".

Or as it is known over there..." À l'intérieur ".

There is a full length copy of it in its original French language on YouTube... but if you struggle with English as I do, there is a dubbed version out there.

This movie, to me, was truly shocking. Terrifying at times. Just didn't pull a single punch.