• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the issue that made you stop reading a series

72 posts in this topic

DC's "Identity Crisis".

When it came out (heavily hyped), I'd already been soured on moderns for years, and had been buying fewer and fewer every month since the late '90s. But this series lowered the bar even further.

It was appallingly vile -- the final nail in the coffin, after which I swore off modern superhero comic books forever. Just utter rubbish...

Amazing_Spider-Man_545.jpg

The death of Aunt May could have made for a serious and lasting consequence of Peter's decision to reveal his secret identity to the world during the events of Civil War. It could have really brought Peter's life full circle as his great power once again comes with great responsibility and even with all his power, he was unable to protect someone he loves. A turning point in Peter' life.

Instead...

He makes a deal with Mephisto, there's some mystical divorce/worldwide mindwipe and suddenly Aunt May is alive and well, MJ and Peter are no longer together, and the world doesn't know the secret identity of Spider-man, thus negating a big plot point in Civil War. Because magic.

ASM vol 2 #3

After Superior ended I was hating the writing, after three issues and the point issues, plus money was tight I cancelled my subscription..... Apparently I missed the first appearance if someone in the next issue :doh:

The death of Aunt May could have made for a serious and lasting consequence of Peter's decision to reveal his secret identity to the world during the events of Civil War. It could have really brought Peter's life full circle as his great power once again comes with great responsibility and even with all his power, he was unable to protect someone he loves. A turning point in Peter' life.

Instead...

He makes a deal with Mephisto, there's some mystical divorce/worldwide mindwipe and suddenly Aunt May is alive and well, MJ and Peter are no longer together, and the world doesn't know the secret identity of Spider-man, thus negating a big plot point in Civil War. Because magic.

+1

Shortly after that I dropped almost every other Marvel book too.

Instead...

+1

Shortly after that I dropped almost every other Marvel book too.

Come on guys, you just needed to ride this reboot out until the next reboot and enjoy it until the reboot after that.

Instead...

Eh Aunt May had already died about 3 times before. I use her 90s death in issue 400 as the cut off.

The clone saga ended it for me with Spider-Man #149 (1975). Then they had to go and revive the whole mess with Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly years later (groan).
Hey, I liked Ben. :sumo: However I'm a huge Kaine Parker fan now that he's the Scarlet Spider.

Most recently, it was Captain America Reborn by Brubaker. I'd loved the first couple years of his run, but the whole sci-fi time travel storyline seemed weak and had gotten away from the espionage feel he'd brought to the title. I'd been enjoying the run a little less already, and I kept buying the main Cap title for a few more issues, but eventually dropped it before Brubaker was done. It had become another run of the mill superhero book for me.

So from 1988 until like a few years ago I had read wolverine. When the 3rd run had his soul go to Hell , him fight demons and eventually satan and him being victorious and becoming the ruler of Hell, well that was it for me
Wait, seriously?

The first superhero comic I could get on a regular basis was spider-man weekly. When the Ditko art finished I was so disappointed I stopped buying it. I was ten years old.

It would have been New Mutants after issue #87. The characters became almost unrecognizable, and there were good reasons for that which I would have learned much later (in fact, very recently).

The issue that definitely made me stop was probably #95, and I believe I restarted with #98 when I learned the series was going to close, so I said let’s make it to #100 and end this agony. :P

Terrible, terrible, terrible. :sick:

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_512.jpg

Actually, against my better judgement I bought a few more issues after this one.

A fan complained in a lettercol about the "Sins Past" story line and editorial answered, "If you don't like what we are doing with Spider-Man, maybe you should read something else" (or words to that effect).

I thought that was a good idea and stopped buying the title (after 40 years of faithfully purchasing the book through both good and bad).

Terrible, terrible, terrible. :sick:

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_512.jpg

Actually, against my better judgement I bought a few more issues after this one.

A fan complained in a lettercol about the "Sins Past" story line and editorial answered, "If you don't like what we are doing with Spider-Man, maybe you should read something else" (or words to that effect).

I thought that was a good idea and stopped buying the title (after 40 years of faithfully purchasing the book through both good and bad).

That goes for sure… lol

I did the same with many titles, little by little. With Hellstorm Prince of Lies it happened after issue #1. :sick:

Not a single issue, but an event, Flashpoint was were I dropped all things DC because I knew DC was dead set on destroying the last 3 decades of history they created in the hopes of bringing in new fans.