• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the issue that made you stop reading a series

72 posts in this topic

Civil War.

A bunch of characters acting way out of character to support the name of the series.

That was pretty much it for Marvel for me. The $4 price tag that happened company-wide soon thereafter was the final nail in the coffin of the few titles that were hanging on.

I was about to mention it when Civil War was mentioned above (the almost total disregard for the characters afterwards)…

To me, it’s still unbelievable how they managed to do such a mess and manage to partially recover some characters afterwards. My personal "marking" of the so-called "Modern Age" is set on Civil War (and I have yet to read it in full, as I already left when it came out and I am selectively recovering specific arcs/issues now for documentation).

Civil War was just a continuation of the butchering Marvel new regime had been doing to the characters that I believe started with Avengers Disassembled. You knew at that point, characters personalities could be changed on a whim to support a story.

Well at least these stories put people's butts in the seats at theaters. To bad they do nothing for readers of the comics.

GwensDead.jpg

That was it for comics for quite a few years.

..... me too...... but I still picked up a few other titles for a year or so...... but then cars and girls closed that door for a while. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The clone saga ended it for me with Spider-Man #149 (1975). Then they had to go and revive the whole mess with Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly years later (groan).

ASM 149 was the first comic I ever read and the rest is history for me. Love that issue, and the Jackal still creeps me out with those beedy eyes.

Civil War.

A bunch of characters acting way out of character to support the name of the series.

That was pretty much it for Marvel for me. The $4 price tag that happened company-wide soon thereafter was the final nail in the coffin of the few titles that were hanging on.

In unrelated news, next Spring "Civil War" with Cap and pretty much every character in the MCU hits the big screen, and with Spidey's support will easily pass $1 billion in global ticket sales. Who would have thought it when the series came out?

wow ASM 149 that was my first spiderman comic I ever bought. I had been watching spiderman cartoon, bought that and went WTF

wow ASM 149 that was my first spiderman comic I ever bought. I had been watching spiderman cartoon, bought that and went WTF

Kav, 40 years later, Ross Andru's rendition of the Jackal with the eyes and the claws is still in my head.

The Avengers Crossing story line where Iron Man ends up a killer. :facepalm: Then all the renumbering with my favorites I quit cold turkey and didn't go back. :censored:

I think it's interesting that both Identity Crisis and Civil War were mentioned, because those two events were what got me back into reading comics. And then Marvel ruined it with One More Day/Brand New Day. I read the first handful of Brand New Day issues, but the issue that others called out here is what did it for me. I basically game up on comics for a bit after that, and only got back in with the new Valiant launch. Only sampling a small amount of Marvels and DCs and have no plans to dive it. Valiant, Image, and a few other indies.

I dropped comics altogether shortly after McFarlane left ASM and the X-Men X-Cutioner garbage. I started reading again during Brubaker's run on Cap in 2005.

The last Marvel comic I will ever buy, at least for the next 10 years, is Uncanny X-Men Avengers #4. This is why...

comics-uncanny-avengers-4-onslaught_zpsd9jl5i1r.jpg

I agree with a lot of choices here....I completely HATE the totem bull in Spider-Man as well as Sins Past and One More Day. I can't decide which is worse......they are both horrible. However, I kept buying Amazing Spider-Man and still do. I bought and read right through Superior Spider-Man and into this latest volume of Amazing. I don't get as excited to read the new issues like I use to and they tend to sit on my night side table for weeks before I bother to even read them. Now and again they have a decent story, they are killing it even more with all the point1 and point 2 issues. We Now have ASM #16.1, 17.1, 18.1 and so on.

I also agree that Original Sin is BAD! What have they done to Nick Fury's character!??! I did like Civil War though.

Kav, what did you not like about that Amazing Spider-Man issue: Peter's graduation?? I have not read that issue in years.....can't really remember it but I did think comics were great and overall good reading in the 70's.

Comics are just good fun for me, I don't take them all that serious and enjoy a lot of stuff others might not like. Like right now I am reading Marvels New Universe Star Brand. I actually like it a whole lot so far! Ha-Ha!

man they've made a lot of stupid comics

Yer not kiddin'!

And DC is still in the lead in that department. (Almost six years straight!) :whee:

DC seems to have better storylines and strategies to me. I don't love all their ideas yet reading a Marvel title today is so chaotic. Try following X-Men titles. How do they all relate? Why are the titles so dependent on past knowledge of events?