• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you old-time art collectors think of this?

29 posts in this topic

So I've heard the argument before that newer art is less appealing because of the lack of physical production evident in the piece. No word balloons = no buy for some collectors.

Well what if an overlay were created for a piece?

DSCF0001_zpsx9aizhk7.jpg

I think the added word balloons/ sound effects make a page like this a little nicer to look at. Less talking heads, more HOARRMMNHUNNGGHHHHH

I'd love to hear some opinions about this. Obviously there will be purists who will want the art left alone and framed "as is". But my argument is that we collect this art to look at anyways. I've seen many title stats created for covers from the copper & modern eras that never existed in the first place. So why no create something for an interior page like this that can benefit the overall look of the page? 2c

What I have problems with, unless the comic lends to it by itself for the story, theme, etc. is the use of typography instead of manual lettering for sound effects.

Look at that "hooarr-muggh" (or whatever it is): it’s a typeface and each single letter looks exactly the same to each other: that is ugly.

It could be cool in a comic meant to express modernity in its technologic aspects, not in the Walking Dead.

Also, these perfectly circular balloons are ugly, and don’t get me started on the lettering… We know it’s almost always typograhic now, but it’s not beautiful by any means...

Disclaimer: I am a graphic and type designer, but these things already looked ugly to me when I was 15 and "reading" german comics set in Helvetica… :sick:

What I have problems with, unless the comic lends to it by itself for the story, theme, etc. is the use of typography instead of manual lettering for sound effects.

Look at that "hooarr-muggh" (or whatever it is): it’s a typeface and each single letter looks exactly the same to each other: that is ugly.

It could be cool in a comic meant to express modernity in its technologic aspects, not in the Walking Dead.

Also, these perfectly circular balloons are ugly, and don’t get me started on the lettering… We know it’s almost always typograhic now, but it’s not beautiful by any means...

Disclaimer: I am a graphic and type designer, but these things already looked ugly to me when I was 15 and "reading" german comics set in Helvetica… :sick:

Biased opinion! :makepoint:

lol but seriously, thank you for your thoughts.

The typeface looks better when the piece is hanging on the wall and its being seen from several feet back. I can understand how it might look (squished?) in a closer picture.

Anyone else? It's amazing the number of lurkers here..... :whistle:

. . . Well what if an overlay were created for a piece?

I'd love to hear some opinions about this.

Hardly a novel idea, but whatever works for you. If you're doing this to please yourself, why worry what others think? (shrug)

Hardly a novel idea, but whatever works for you. If you're doing this to please yourself, why worry what others think? (shrug)

I'm certainly not worrying what others think, and yes overlays are not a new idea. The point of the post was to see if an older collector might find a piece of modern art more appealing if there were word balloons..

I'm certainly not worrying what others think, and yes overlays are not a new idea. I think the point of the exercise was, perhaps, to see if an older collector might find a piece of modern art more appealing if there were word balloons..

If I like the artwork, irrespective of when it was produced, I'm not exactly bothered by the lack of speech balloons.

If I don't like the art, an overlay of captions, sound effects and word balloons is unlikely to change anything for me.

I'm certainly not worrying what others think, and yes overlays are not a new idea. I think the point of the exercise was, perhaps, to see if an older collector might find a piece of modern art more appealing if there were word balloons..

If I like the artwork, irrespective of when it was produced, I'm not exactly bothered by the lack of speech balloons.

If I don't like the art, an overlay of captions, sound effects and word balloons is unlikely to change anything for me.

In short, you'd be a purist then when it comes to displaying art?

Don't have a problem in the world with overlays, as per the page you highlight. Done it myself numerous times.

Point I'm trying to make, in response to the question you asked, is that I don't necessarily have a downer on modern art because of the production methods (i.e. lack of caption material on the OA). I'm focused on the art, not the absence of text.

Don't have a problem in the world with overlays, as per the page you highlight. Done it myself numerous times.

Point I'm trying to make, in response to the question you asked, is that I don't necessarily have a downer on modern art because of the production methods (i.e. lack of caption material on the OA). I'm focused on the art, not the absence of text.

That's what I meant to articulate, but couldn't. doh!

(thumbs u

I have always wanted to get some word balloons on my modern art but never got around to it. I think it looks good. Maybe the balloons are a little shinier than the art but it could also be the camera flash. Either way, it looks better than a blank page

I think the page looks good with the overlay. If it's for display the overlay definitely makes it present better. And the original art is not altered in any way, so (thumbs u

I agree. Probably because I'm not a fan of the comic, I don't find this page particularly compelling -- but with your overlay, it's kind of interesting. I think it works.

Your page has pretty good storytelling even without the overlay.

That being said, word balloon overlays increase the interest of certain story pages quite a bit, transforming them from "dead" pages into "key memorable moments."

The question is: Would it make the page more valuable at auction?

(I'm guessing that on an action page like yours it would not.)

Where and how would somebody go about getting overlays put on their books? As well, will the acid from the plastic eventually damage the page or leave a shadow on it? I have several covers and pages I would love to put the appropriate text and or titles on them.

I'm certainly not worrying what others think, and yes overlays are not a new idea. The point of the post was to see if an older collector might find a piece of modern art more appealing if there were word balloons..

I don't think an older collector would find it more appealing because an overlay is an "aftermarket" modification.

So, it does nothing to appease the senses towards the original piece as it was created for the production process.

Much like how many collectors hated how in the 1980's there were some pages where a colorist, even the original colorist, colored onto original art pages in the aftermath.

Personally, I like the overlay as an added bonus, like adding tint to your windows, lowering the suspension or adding a rear spoiler to a car. I think the overlay is the way to go, where putting anything that is permanent that alters the original is a mistake.

In my opinion, the text adds to the nostalgia. Sometimes, the art itself isn't enough to explain what is going on in the page so you need the word balloons.

For example, I once owned a Superman page where a missile was approaching him. The word balloons stated something along the lines of " ..... this alien missile could kill me ...". I bought that page specifically because of the text that accompanied the art. Without the word balloons, it would have just been a generic page. The collector that bought that page from me years later, bought it for the same reason.

Cheers!

N.