• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing

476 posts in this topic

Mark;

I am extremely happy to see you get this official statement from Susan with respect to this whole pressing and resubmission controversy. Like I said before, it's time for the industry to get the restorers working with us for the long-term benefit of the hobby instead of working against us by performing undisclosed restoration.

This statement by Susan also supports another argument I have posted before which most of the CGC-centric posters have strongly disagree with. The CGC crowd has always stated that pressing is nothing new since it has always been done for the longest time ever. Anybody that has been collecting books prior to the days of CGC back in the 80's and 90's would have pressed books in their collection. With the advent of CGC, they also claimed that it is now a lot safer to purchase books in the marketplace without having to worry about restoration.

My argument is that the probability of buying a undisclosed restored (ie. pressed) book is now substantially higher the past few years since the advent of CGC as compared to the pre-CGC days of the 80's and 90's. My rationale has always been that pressing in the past was generally done as a afterthought and only as a final touch in association with more intrusive restoration activities. I have never believe that pressing exclusively by itself without any other restoration actvitites being performed was that common back in the 80's and 90's. The payback was just not worth the cost of hiring the services of a professional restorer.

With the advent of CGC and the big whack they put on books with non-colour breaking creases along with the huge multiples paid for tiny increments in grade, it now has become very very profitable to partake in the game of exclusive pressing. Especially since potential sellers have been given the green light on exclusive pressing with CGC clearly and emphatically going on record statinging that pressing is not restoration. screwy.gif In the old days, there was not the same incentive to do exclusive pressing since the high multiples did not exist for tiny increments in grade. In addition, dealers did not consider non-breaking colour creases which could only be seen by holding books up at the just the proper angle as major defects and as a result did not impact significantly on the grade.

Bottom-line: It would be foolish for somebody to sell a money book nowadays without pressing it if it improves the grade whereas this was certainly not the sentiment back in the pre-CGC days. Conversely, it is a very dangerous time to be purchasing big money books right now since the chance of undisclosed restoration is probably higher than it's ever been. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mark,

This post needs its own new thread. Most people have given up on this one. Start a new thread, please.

Will do. I have created a thread just on Susan's announcement. Let's post further comments there.

Who are the major "professional restorers" out there besides Susan? Obviously Tracey won't renounce pressing as he just embarked upon the business. Then there is Matt Nelson. Anyone else?

Matt Wilson at Fantasy Masterpieces. Mark Wilson was one of the best, though to my knowledge, he doesn't perform restoration services for customers anymore. Steve Stryke is another, though I have no idea how well he is regarded as a restoration professional. Then there's Chris Friesen, but we already know his stance on pressing.

Sounds like Susan and Steve Ditko would make a great pair. Just my two cents bjt they both seem to tilt heavily towards that 'objective morality'/ Ayn Rand thing. Anybody wanna try and 'hook em up' ???? What a pair !

So sould we call Susans announcement Pressing Shrugged?

My argument is that the probability of buying a undisclosed restored (ie. pressed) book is now substantially higher the past few years since the advent of CGC as compared to the pre-CGC days of the 80's and 90's. My rationale has always been that pressing in the past was generally done as a afterthought and only as a final touch in association with more intrusive restoration activities. I have never believe that pressing exclusively by itself without any other restoration actvitites being performed was that common back in the 80's and 90's. The payback was just not worth the cost of hiring the services of a professional restorer.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, "lou." This has always been my suspicion as well.

Any other "old timers" want to chime in on this comment?

Thank you. I was not sure. I've never pressed a book but I recently purchased a jungle action 6 that is glossy, bright, with white pages and super sharp corners. It has a spines roll obviously from storage and I have been looking for a true high grade of this book (raw) for over a year!

I want to add my stance on pressing. I have not pressed any of my books but kinda wish I had. I do not consider it resto. If the blue label says 9.8? It's a 9.8! I probably own more than a few pressed books. I do not care or even think about it. I can certainly identify a badly pressed book and would not ever buy.

Thanks again BlowUpTheMoon