• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing

476 posts in this topic

Yeah, thats me..and I might even do a magic trick too... make one of Red's 100 pagers dissapear.

893whatthe.gif

BTW.....as any good dealmaker knows....you're supposed to feign disinterest, not chortle about it. poke2.gif

I will tell you that I am researching the legal issues surrounding undisclosed pressing and there is an argument to be made that nondisclosure of enhancements to books that significantly raise the value may be ripe for a civil lawsuit. I would be happy to discuss this with any of the attorneys on the boards and share thoughts/research.

Wouldn't that require a means of detecting pressing in order to prove that the book had had work done to it?

Not necessarily. For example, if you could trace the provenance of the specific book, which is something that can be done with many pedigrees, it would be possible to develop evidence of pressing.

Or, it may be that someone comes forward to reveal that a certain dealer has admitted to pressing books or selling pressed books. Or the person pressing the books for the dealer could come forward.

The strength of the case, of course, would be dependent upon the specific factual circumstances of the transaction.

Due to both of us having kids that require a lot of time, it's taken longer than I envisioned. I will be sending my draft comments to the person tonight and they should be ready to post within a short period of time, and most certainly (barring an emergency situation) this week.

I'd shut up about it until you have the announcement in hand and ready to release.

Saying you're going to do a thing and not do it hurts your credibility. If you continue to say the info's coming you better have it ready because the longer it takes for you release it, the more your point will be lost due to speculation and disbelief on the audience's part...

Jim

Translation: I am a whiny beeyotch and you are my latest target.

Obsess much... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe I should consider you my little troll now since I wasn't responding to yet again but you butt in anyhow... gossip.gif

FFB?...Favorite Forum B1tch...has a nice ring to it... 27_laughing.giftakeit.gif

Jim

In any event, I continue to strongly suggest to everyone that when you purchase books from dealers you require - if you care - that the dealer indicate in writing that they have not pressed, enhanced or restored the book in any way (of course, if CGC'd, the "restoration" aspect is already known) or that they are not aware of any prior pressing, enhancement or restoration work being conducted upon the book.

If the dealer is legit, they will sign. If not, then you can take that into consideration for future purchases. If you want to make a difference on this issue, this will do it. It directly impacts the bottom line $$$$$$.

Mark, you know what would be cool is if you were to just write out and post this little statement here in easy to understand but "legal sounding" terms. That way for those that care to ask dealers to sign the statement, they would have a well written and even perhaps recognizable (if it gets around enough) statement to use, or to at least use as a model for their own written statement. Otherwise, knowing us non-attorney guys, who knows what we'll come up with when we write our own terms. ----Sid

Sid, I appreciate the request and I would be happy to comply. Keep an eye out on this thread and I will post a suggested "contract" for everyone to use.

"Refrain from making promises before you're ready to deliver" would be more effective than "I'd shut up" Jim. poke2.gif

Not really...it's goes directly to the point with no wiggle room either way.

I agree with the majority of what's you're saying and think you're doing a wonderful job getting it out there. I just don't want your message buried because everyone fixates on a mythical announcement that's not quite ready for release.

Jim

Due to both of us having kids that require a lot of time, it's taken longer than I envisioned. I will be sending my draft comments to the person tonight and they should be ready to post within a short period of time, and most certainly (barring an emergency situation) this week.

I'd shut up about it until you have the announcement in hand and ready to release.

Saying you're going to do a thing and not do it hurts your credibility. If you continue to say the info's coming you better have it ready because the longer it takes for you release it, the more your point will be lost due to speculation and disbelief on the audience's part...

Jim

Translation: I am a whiny beeyotch and you are my latest target.

Obsess much... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe I should consider you my little troll now since I wasn't responding to yet again but you butt in anyhow... gossip.gif

FFB?...Favorite Forum B1tch...has a nice ring to it... 27_laughing.giftakeit.gif

Jim

If that was supposd to be funny, don't quit your day job!

Wait, you're in military "intelligence," right? PLEASE quit your day job. foreheadslap.gif

The following letter to the editor appears in the latest issue of CBG (May 2005, #1604):

"A Pressing Matter"

Rick Wholey

3342 Montlake Dr.

Rockford, IL 61114

I was fascinated to read in "Beautiful Balloons" that such a thing as a comics pressing device exists, built expressly for that purpose. I acquired one years ago, also known as the "Little Nemo in Slumberland" hardcover. It is big enough to put in unfolded comics, sometimes more than one at a time. Right now, I have old spine-rolled copies of early "Tip Top" and "Captain Midnight" comics cooking in there.

My recipe is to open the comic to the centerfold and lay it in "Nemo" flat for a couple of months. Then, I refold and press it to the original condition, which I find takes about a year. While it's being pressed, I put a box of bagged and boarded 1970s Marvels on top to add weight. I always knew those copies of "Nova", "Eternals", "Howard the Duck", "John Carter", etc., would be valuable someday.

END

I don't understand the references to "Beautiful Balloons" or "Little Nemo in Slumberland". Does anyone else?

Steve B. turned down my request to have this thread modified to a "Sticky Point". While I appreciated his prompt response, I was disappointed by his reasoning, which I found difficult to follow and inconsistent.

Moreover, despite my having PM'd each of the moderators with the same request, not one responded.

Despite my asking to be better educated about CGC's posting policies and how it determines which topic should be a "Sticky Point", no response was received.

I have no problems with CGC adopting policies I might disagree with, but I find the significant number of inconsistencies, its apparent lack of an ability to articulate certain policies and, most of all, the lack of response by the moderators to a legitimate question to be unprofessional. Who are these moderators anyway?

"Beautiful Balloons" is a long-running CBG column, written by Maggie Thompson (formerly along with her late husband, Don).

The correspondent is being a bit droll in referring to his "Little Nemo in Slumberland" hardback as a "pressing machine." I suppose he just feels it's the right size and shape to press out his books. Note that he first presses the books completely flat, then refolds them to the "original condition."

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Steve B. turned down my request to have this thread modified to a "Sticky Point". While I appreciated his prompt response, I was disappointed by his reasoning, which I found difficult to follow and inconsistent.

Moreover, despite my having PM'd each of the moderators with the same request, not one responded.

Despite my asking to be better educated about CGC's posting policies and how it determines which topic should be a "Sticky Point", no response was received.

I have no problems with CGC adopting policies I might disagree with, but I find the significant number of inconsistencies, its apparent lack of an ability to articulate certain policies and, most of all, the lack of response by the moderators to a legitimate question to be unprofessional. Who are these moderators anyway?

This thread does not deserve to be tacked. There is too much specualtion, too much foolhardiness (which can mame for a fun thread but if foolhardiness were a tack criteria we would have 3 pages of tacked threads!) too much emotional response to make it any more than your standard internet thread.

and i hope you know what "Little Nemo in Slumberland" is - turn of the century comic strip by the legendary Windsor McCay. Absolutely stunning, over the top artwork, far far far far far ahead of its time.

302-13.jpg

How long was it from the time you had PM'd the moderators until you posted this? Perhaps they are all too busy to offer a same day response? I used to answer questions on my employer's message board, and there were a variety of legitimate reasons for why I was sometimes unable to respond immediately. The only person who is dedicated full-time to the forums is Arch (and I believe he also involved with several other message boards and other web-based endeavors). Also, it's possible that they may not have the authority or subject knowledge to deem this thread worthy of stickiness. Maybe they had to check with Steve, and he told them not to worry about it since he had already communicated with you or planned to do so? confused-smiley-013.gif There are a lot of different possibilities, so I don't think it's fair to call them unprofessional.

I also agree with Pov that the overall quality of this thread is not worthy of stickiness.

I also agree with Pov that the overall quality of this thread is not worthy of stickiness.

Agreed...this thread isn't even original as the topic has been hashed over multiple times in prior threads. I'd suggest Ze-Man's "example" thread is more worthy. Regardless, the pressing argument doesn't necessarily put CGC in the best light whether you're pro or con. For that reason alone, it won't get a sticky as these are CGC's boards to ultimately promote CGC product and views when are slanted in their favor...

Jim

I agree. Esquire, you have made many great insightful posts. But you seem to be veering too far into the conspiracy CGC is wrong and evil camp lately. Youre getting very strident in your views and seem to be at risk of alienating much of your core audience.. Hope this doesnt come across as a strong criticism... just an observation. Okay?

I agree. Esquire, you have made many great insightful posts. But you seem to be veering too far into the conspiracy CGC is wrong and evil camp lately. Youre getting very strident in your views and seem to be at risk of alienating much of your core audience.. Hope this doesnt come across as a strong criticism... just an observation. Okay?

I second that observation. And I am in the same camp as Mark, in regards to pressing, disclosure, is it resto?.. etc...and all the other tangents this pressing topic encompasses.

But one can only state their case so many times before it becomes dilluted. We all are well aware of the pressing topic. I can see why Mark would like to make sure the pressing topic is easily seen, and read by all those new forum members who might not have ever heard of pressing before.

But this thread is indeed all over the map, and most new folks would not bother to read through enough of it to take away what useful information is hidden here.

Not to say the topic should be buried. We just need something new to talk about... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Mark.. got anything new to share with the class?

Ze-

How long was it from the time you had PM'd the moderators until you posted this? Perhaps they are all too busy to offer a same day response? I used to answer questions on my employer's message board, and there were a variety of legitimate reasons for why I was sometimes unable to respond immediately. The only person who is dedicated full-time to the forums is Arch (and I believe he also involved with several other message boards and other web-based endeavors). Also, it's possible that they may not have the authority or subject knowledge to deem this thread worthy of stickiness. Maybe they had to check with Steve, and he told them not to worry about it since he had already communicated with you or planned to do so? confused-smiley-013.gif There are a lot of different possibilities, so I don't think it's fair to call them unprofessional.

Guys, guys, please do give me more credit here. While people may not agree with a particular stated position I assert, I assure you my comments will not be posted without reflection and factual support. I would never criticize someone without having first provided them with a more than reasonable opportunity to respond.

I PM'd each of the moderators of the forum starting on or about Wednesday, March 9, 2005 or Thursday, March 10, 2005. I believe I sent each a PM and might have sent two to one of them asking for clarification on policy.

On March 11, 2005, I sent the following e-mail to Steve B.:

-----Original Message-----

From: Esquirecomics@aol.com [mailto:Esquirecomics@aol.com]

Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 1:08 AM

To: Steve Borock

Subject: Pressing Thread

Steve, who are these moderators of the board forums and do they make the decision on whether to change a thread to a "Sticky Topic". I've PM'd them each and no one has responded.

The issue of pressing may not be one that CGC is ecstatic about, but it is clearly an important topic and worthy of continued dialogue. The current thread has over 3000 views and 300 posts. If you add in the numerous prior threads on the topic it is no doubt the most popular of topics in the general section.

Are you in a position to make this a "Sticky Topic"?

[END TEXT]

And Steve, as he typically does, kindly and professionally responded within a matter of hours:

Subject: RE: Pressing Thread

Date: 3/11/2005 10:09:43 AM Eastern Standard Time

Reply To:

To: Esquirecomics@aol.com

Mark,

Good morning.

This is not a thread that I think needs to be a “sticky”. It is not an event (forum dinner, fund raiser) or something fun (crisis or dailys) which is what we normally choose to “sticky”. My favorite thread these days is the original art one and I have not “sticky’d” it.

Hope all is well,

Steve

I responded with the following:

Subject: Re: Pressing Thread

Date: 3/11/2005 2:14:28 PM Eastern Standard Time

Reply To:

To: sborock@cgccomics.com

Steve, thanks for the quick response.

What is the definitional application of the term "Sticky Point"? I've looked at the boards in each of the sections to see what other threads have been labeled as "Sticky Points" and there clearly appear to be topics that do not fit into either being an "event" or "something fun".

Listen, it's your boards and CGC can certainly make its own determination as to what it desires to be a "Sticky Point", but I stress again the need - or at least desire on the part of your customers - for consistency in determinations and policies. I certainly would not want to see CGC in a position of being criticized for not making the pressing thread a "Sticky Point" simply because it disagrees with the comments made therein.

BTW, I'm all for making the original art thread a "Sticky Point" as well!

Mark

P.S. The one complaint I will voice now is that NONE of your moderators have responded back to me. That I do not appreciate and it is simply unprofessional.

[END TEXT]

I have not received a response yet to this last e-mail, and not one of the moderators has responded to any of my PMs.

Were they told not to? Perhaps. I have no idea. Nevertheless, you would think that at least one would respond with a simple message of "I understand that Steve Borock has responded to your inquiry." Perhaps I expect too much.