• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #19 water damage

16 posts in this topic

Hi good and knowledgeable folks...question for the board...

I just received a copy of The Amazing Spider-Man #19 which I purchased this past week from Metropolis Comics (part of their Mighty Marvel Maniacs sale). The book was listed in 5.5 Fine - condition, with just a scan of the front cover and no other grading issues noted. Upon receiving the book today I was very disappointed to see the back cover had considerable water damage to the whole upper left half. This continued through to the inside back cover and what looks like white out...! But is likely just the paper turning white because of the water damage.

Based upon the 10 point grading scale, a book in this condition should only have a very, very minor amount of water damage, certainly not a 3.5" x 4" area.

Do you feel this book would still grade a 5.5 with this amount of water damage? The front cover looks great, but that back cover is really off putting and has me contemplating returning it for a refund. Based on their policies however, I'd have to pay for the return shipping and I wouldn't be refunded for the shipping cost to me.

I paid $74.25 for the book plus $9.00 for shipping.

Just curious what the forum thinks about this matter.

Photos attached. Thanks for your feedback.

spidey%2019%20front%20cover.JPG

spidey%2019%20back%20cover.jpg

spidey%2019%20back%20cover%20detail.jpg

spidey%2019%20inside%20back%20cover.jpg

Any defect on the back cover affects the grade less than if it's on the front. That's a fair sized stain, but it doesn't detract from the look of the book at all. It's otherwise a very sharp copy. Technically, I'd like to say 4.5, because I really hate water, but I think it would slab out at a 5.0 if you grade it a little more artistically. Half a grade off isn't terrible on the seller's part.

VG in the Guide is $74, and this is no VG copy, so you're good on that front. However, undisclosed water is a hidden defect that entitles you to a return if you so wish. There are other copies around, so if you're going to despise it every time you see it, send it back.

IMO this book has already been downgraded.

The front cover is extremely sharp looking, bright/glossy with no discoloration at all.

The book appears to lay completely flat with very little to no spine wear, all I see is a tiny tear and one stress line, both by the price corner box.(If there are more they cannot be seen in the pic due to the white cover)

There are no visible creases or dimples.

The corners are sharp with virtually no wear.

Looking at the FRONT COVER ONLY I would grade this book at a FN/VF 7.0 - VF- 7.5

Any defect on the back cover affects the grade less than if it's on the front. That's a fair sized stain, but it doesn't detract from the look of the book at all. It's otherwise a very sharp copy. Technically, I'd like to say 4.5, because I really hate water, but I think it would slab out at a 5.0 if you grade it a little more artistically. Half a grade off isn't terrible on the seller's part.

VG in the Guide is $74, and this is no VG copy, so you're good on that front. However, undisclosed water is a hidden defect that entitles you to a return if you so wish. There are other copies around, so if you're going to despise it every time you see it, send it back.

+1

Justin :)

For the price and front cover eye appeal, I think you did good. Is there any water damage to the interior paper? Structurally, the book looks much nicer than 5.5 from the FC, but we need to grade the entire book so that includes the BC too. I know CGC would hammer this book for the water damage. A 4.0 seems too harsh. 4.5/5.0 is probably the realistic strict grade. Spidey 19s are all over the place, so you are not going to have a hard time finding a copy. You should be 100% happy with an upgraded 19 since you are a big Spidey fan. Also, since you are close, couldn't you just return it in person? Again, with the FC sharpness in Mylar at that price, I think you did fine.

Ben

For the price and front cover eye appeal, I think you did good. Is there any water damage to the interior paper? Structurally, the book looks much nicer than 5.5 from the FC, but we need to grade the entire book so that includes the BC too. I know CGC would hammer this book for the water damage. A 4.0 seems too harsh. 4.5/5.0 is probably the realistic strict grade. Spidey 19s are all over the place, so you are not going to have a hard time finding a copy. You should be 100% happy with an upgraded 19 since you are a big Spidey fan. Also, since you are close, couldn't you just return it in person? Again, with the FC sharpness in Mylar at that price, I think you did fine.

Ben

CGC "hammers" high grade copies with water stains. Mid grade copies it's just another defect to take into consideration. The book gets 5.5 easy.

Ben

CGC "hammers" high grade copies with water stains. Mid grade copies it's just another defect to take into consideration. The book gets 5.5 easy.

Agreed.

Ben

I agree, although sent in as is, it wouldn't surprise me if it came back a 4.0. Pressing to reduce the waviness might raise it to a 5.0. (But pressing this book wouldn't be worth the expense.) I've seen otherwise 9.0 books in 5.0 holders with much less water damage than that.

I would send the book back. Water damage that severe should have been disclosed.

It’s a very nice copy, I wouldn’t care in the least about the back cover water damage, which is also minimal.

I believe that graded could even be a FN or FN+, so the price was good.

And read it, frequently! :makepoint:

Even in Venice that water damage wouldn't be minimal! :D

I love books like that for my personal collection..... you get the high grade eye appeal at a fraction of the price. If it were me, I'd keep it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u