• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLINK Summer Featured Auction

241 posts in this topic

Happy Labor Day all!

The Holiday gives me a day off and time to pop out of my Rabbit hole from a very busy work month and chime in here before disappearing back in it again tomorrow:

No one is talking about 'Marvel Family' #1, CGC 9.4 (15,000+ AND counting?!?! :o:o

I know it's the highest graded, but this is Mile High territory here.

I have an ongoing debate :baiting: with GAtor over this kind of thing in golden age (and i'm sure he knows it's all in good fun), because i feel this book is another rare golden age book that is effected by 'movie hype". (Hello 'More Fun #73), and is this the next MF 73? Some things to consider.....

1)First: it's now another marquee first appearance ga book where the said character does not appear on the cover, BUT unlike Archie and Wonder Woman, Black Adam does at least get a cover 'blurb'.

2)Ask any dyed in the wool long time collector who Captain Marvel's Arch nemesis was, and the answer would have been Dr. Sivana. I think that is no longer going to be the case. A lot of the 'heat' for this character started in the modern focused collecting world, and has spilled into the bronze (his first appearance since MF1, Shazam 28) has been a hot book in that market and holding. Due to, increased presence and character development in recent years, and speculation he will appear in the scheduled 'Shazam' movie. Hence the movie hype spill into his golden age appearance.

And no, not the teens and 20 somethings coming out of the theaters spellbound, but deep pocketed investors looking for a 'good bet' with potential to grow in the comic world to place their money.

3)Fawcett now has another (growing) top tier book. This book will join the ranks of the Master Comics Captain Marvel Jr. origin story trifecta. I can remember not that long ago when i could get this book for a 'song'. :pullhair: Just wild considering how many years it sat 'dormant', despite being a first issue (let alone first appearance book).

So, another 'MF 73, (fast climb then bust)or do we really have another 'contender' gold key on our hands?

Do some of you agree it's another rare gold book affected by movie hype?

The book I was most interested in before this auction started was Wonder Woman #6 — I've long since lost interest because of the price it's reached. I didn't expect to get it for guide, but $6,666 for a 7.5 with a slight mis-cut? What the heck??? I don't subscribe to GPA, so I don't know what previous sales have been like.