• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should there be a happy birthday sub forum ?

104 posts in this topic

I realize it's wonderful to wish our fellow boardies a good day of their birth but am I the only one that avoids cg because the majority of new posts daily seem to be hbd threads? Just curious if we could get a sub forum added for the likes?

+1. They clutter up the General forum.

I realize it's wonderful to wish our fellow boardies a good day of their birth but am I the only one that avoids cg because the majority of new posts daily seem to be hbd threads? Just curious if we could get a sub forum added for the likes?

I'm in total agreement. A dedicated thread or sub forum would be nice, but not CG.

I'm in total agreement. A dedicated thread or sub forum would be nice, but not CG.

Seems like more than a few folks agree

I agree as well.

It may be no concern at all? I was curious folks thoughts

It's the same story that has come up multiple times. Yet what is Comics General's core focus supposed to be about? Threads complaining about CGC, moderation, Ebay sellers/buyers, alerts to scams on Ebay, pressing books or other topics that may or may not have anything to do directly with the stories and direction of the comic hobby?

(shrug)

The birthday threads are a nice way to recognize one another, when they aren't being used to instigate a fight.

The Birthday threads aren't what they once were, but they are a nice way to recognize each other and a remnant of what the Boards used to be like. We've had umpteen polls about it; seems silly to have another except for trying to push the "No birthday threads" agenda through again. Doesn't seem like a major issue to me to ignore them; I ignore the constant stream of ebay complaint threads (and others) without too much difficulty.

If they remain, though, it might be nice if they were posted a bit more judiciously. Birthday threads for low-post members who never participated much and who are long gone are a bit silly.

No.

doh!

Frankly, I get tired of people whining about this.

One single thread would destroy the point of it, as would a sub forum.

At work, or other areas in real life, when somebody has a birthday, do you pull them aside and wish them a happy birthday in a side room, or just say it as the day unfolds?

Not visiting CG because of the birthday threads is anybody's choice, but seems :screwy: to me.

It's hardly difficult to pick out the threads you want to investigate.

The flaw in this line of reasoning, IMO, is that very few of these threads are for those "friends" or regular contributors ... I see a few hbd threads for members that haven't posted or contributed or been "seen" in a while. You don't celebrate your once a year delivery drivers bd at work? Or the copy repairman you rarely if ever see. That's the "difference" to me (shrug)

If you're referring to the relationship between the OP of the birthday thread and the person whose birthday it is, well maybe they don't know each other at all.

So what?

Certainly the people that reply feel comfortable enough to post in the thread. I'm sure I'm like most people; some you say HB to, some you don't.

Still not seeing why some begrudge it, or any "problem" it's causing.

Seems like more than a few disagree too.

It seems like the needle is moving though

No one is advocating they go away. There just may be a better way to do it though

In checking the members list, 1129 pages with an average of 25 names listed per page means 28 225 boardies.

That's only 77 birthday listings per day.

The math doesn't really work that way. The majority of boardies don't list a public birthday, so the number per month is much less. Total "public" birthdays for the month of August is 184, and not all of those people are active and thus shouldn't be getting a birthday thread.

No one is advocating they go away. There just may be a better way to do it though

The needle is definitely moving, not long ago anyone raising an issue against birthday threads was verbally annihilated within moments of posting.

So what is the end game of those whining about the birthday threads?

To get a sub forum created...that they will never visit, so they can get the 3 or 4 threads on an average day off the first page of CG?

Having them in CG is the only logical place; how would anybody know whose birthday it was? I wouldn't go out of my way to search another forum every day otherwise.

Alternatively, one could simply ignore the threads, and click on only those in CG that interest you....

The needle is definitely moving, not long ago anyone raising an issue against birthday threads was verbally annihilated within moments of posting.

Agreed, with increasing membership and a greater proliferation of Bday threads it was inevitable. Looks like sentiment has changed and it's time for a change. (thumbs u

Can we have an 'I hate Ebay' sub-forum thread?

And 'The PC Police are Killing Comics' sub-forum thread?

What about a 'Your stupid memes are mess' sub-forum thread?

Hey! What about 'Beware of Mycomicshop - they sold me comic books' threads?

:sumo:

I haven't seen anyone "whine" about anything (shrug)

I don't frequent cg as much but seems like the last few times I have the main page was "inundated" with hbd threads. The majority of which I had never seen post or even knew who they were. I figured I wasn't a lone and inquired if having their own location might be an alternative. It would be just as easy to go there if hbd threads appeal to one, as it is to ignore existing threads for those it doesn't appeal to..

It's not a matter of convenience or inconvenience but a matter of what makes sense?

Folks that don't want to talk about golden age comics don't have to enter that forum ...its separate from other forums for a reason. It makes sense to me , give bd threads their own place... But maybe I am in the minority ...still not sure

Can we have an 'I hate Ebay' sub-forum thread?

And 'The PC Police are Killing Comics' sub-forum thread?

What about a 'Your stupid memes are mess' sub-forum thread?

qa9nk.jpg

Wrong sub-forum