• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should there be a happy birthday sub forum ?

104 posts in this topic

The Birthday threads aren't what they once were, but they are a nice way to recognize each other and a remnant of what the Boards used to be like. We've had umpteen polls about it; seems silly to have another except for trying to push the "No birthday threads" agenda through again. Doesn't seem like a major issue to me to ignore them; I ignore the constant stream of ebay complaint threads (and others) without too much difficulty.

If they remain, though, it might be nice if they were posted a bit more judiciously. Birthday threads for low-post members who never participated much and who are long gone are a bit silly.

Dang it Mr. Pontoon! Stop being the voice of reason. :makepoint:

On that note I also have no problem with birthday posts being left in Comic General. If I see someone who I recognize having a birthday I send along my sentiments. If I don't know who the person is I don't open it. It's really not rocket science.

The birthday threads were genuinely there to bring board members together in a sea of eBay scams,printer issues,and pressing threads. Did you think they were just for birthdays? It's to bring a community of people whom never met before a little closer,making them feel like they are a part of something. This unjustified hatred of bday threads is really sad,it's why I stopped doing it. I applaud Askaban for picking up the mantel, because he didn't want to see the sense of community go away.

thanks Dave, Bosco, Marvelcollector, wombat and everyone who feels like it's not a big deal :foryou:

I only wish those that are still active within the last year or try to, it's not really that many a day for everyone to get worked up over 2c I feel like it brings a sense of community and the person being wished happy birthday seems to enjoy having their own thread. Three people have a birthday today but they haven't been active so they get no wish, I don't start a thread for anyone who isn't active but maybe I've messed up a few. :sorry:

The birthday threads were genuinely there to bring board members together in a sea of eBay scams,printer issues,and pressing threads. Did you think they were just for birthdays? It's to bring a community of people whom never met before a little closer,making them feel like they are a part of something. This unjustified hatred of bday threads is really sad,it's why I stopped doing it. I applaud Askaban for picking up the mantel, because he didn't want to see the sense of community go away.

thanks Dave, Bosco, Marvelcollector, wombat and everyone who feels like it not a big deal :foryou:

I only wish those that are still active within the last year or try to, it's not really that many a day for everyone to get worked up over 2c I feel like it brings a sense of community and the person being wished happy birthday seems to enjoy having their own thread. Three people have a birthday today but they haven't been active so they get no wish, I don't start a thread for anyone who isn't active but maybe I've messed up a few. :sorry:

Don't worry dude, you are doing a great job. :applause:

For the record I think hbd threads are a ok. Didn't even know there were folks that hated them or whined about them. Just wondered if they were put in their own title/forum if maybe that would be a better option ;)

I realize it's wonderful to wish our fellow boardies a good day of their birth but am I the only one that avoids cg because the majority of new posts daily seem to be hbd threads? Just curious if we could get a sub forum added for the likes?

In Soviet Russia, Gator asks Us questions.

No.

doh!

Frankly, I get tired of people whining about this.

One single thread would destroy the point of it, as would a sub forum.

At work, or other areas in real life, when somebody has a birthday, do you pull them aside and wish them a happy birthday in a side room, or just say it as the day unfolds?

Not visiting CG because of the birthday threads is anybody's choice, but seems :screwy: to me.

It's hardly difficult to pick out the threads you want to investigate.

More than that, post if you like and if you know the member, otherwise just skip the thread. It’s not like we have twenty birthdays a day… :shrug:

I like the way it is.

Same here!

If you are going to ask for a sub-forum for yet another topic, why are others more acceptable that have nothing to do with comic books in general?

Right now I count an overwhelming four birthday posts on the first page of CG.

Out of about thirty or so.

This "problem" is so blown out of proportion by some.

The analogy of work applies. Wishes aren't whispered off to the side in private in real life. And you wish people you know and/or want to and not strangers. The comment about wheeling out an old cake and crossing off the names makes no sense.

At this point, it ranges between a 2-3 on the RFS. Let's circle back to this when it hits a 8-9.

fxmBc1V.jpg

lol

cLC2rCT.jpg

It's too early to tell for sure, but that's really surprising.

I would have predicted 2:1 against.

Apparently, there's a major shift in public opinion underway.

i3UIn5y.jpg

Make sure you VOTE .

With all your accounts.

(:

I like the way it is.

Same here!

If you are going to ask for a sub-forum for yet another topic, why are others more acceptable that have nothing to do with comic books in general?

Right now I count an overwhelming four birthday posts on the first page of CG.

Out of about thirty or so.

This "problem" is so blown out of proportion by some.

The analogy of work applies. Wishes aren't whispered off to the side in private in real life. And you wish people you know and/or want to and not strangers. The comment about wheeling out an old cake and crossing off the names makes no sense.

At this point, it ranges between a 2-3 on the RFS. Let's circle back to this when it hits a 8-9.

fxmBc1V.jpg

lol

:acclaim:

cLC2rCT.jpg

It's too early to tell for sure, but that's really surprising.

I would have predicted 2:1 against.

Apparently, there's a major shift in public opinion underway.

i3UIn5y.jpg

Make sure you VOTE .

We have talked about this several times and the outcome was the status quo. Can we move on? This feels a lot like the constant Quebec Separation Referendums...

Can we have an 'I hate Ebay' sub-forum thread?

And 'The PC Police are Killing Comics' sub-forum thread?

What about a 'Your stupid memes are mess' sub-forum thread?

qa9nk.jpg

Wrong sub-forum

Sorry, I couldn't find the Oprah meme sub sub forum

Pretty soon we can have so many sub forums we won't be able interact with one another.

I think you people are just bored,or maybe have no soul.

Oak and Azkaban, two nice people volunteering time. Can there possibly be anything else we can "kvetch" about?

I'm really not happy with my nail color, maybe a subforum?