• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should there be a happy birthday sub forum ?

104 posts in this topic

I realize it's wonderful to wish our fellow boardies a good day of their birth but am I the only one that avoids cg because the majority of new posts daily seem to be hbd threads? Just curious if we could get a sub forum added for the likes?

Will we have other Comics General sub-forums for topics not comic related?

- Sales and buying complaints (including Ebay username listings)

- Fundraisers, charities, community event contributions

- Recognizing someone's pressing service

- Life event statements, ponderings and general thoughts

Or just a single combined thread, possibly stickied but it doesn't have to be.

We have one.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8499080#Post8499080

I preferred it to the clutter of the individual threads.

That's what gets me Nick,the amount of charity threads is crazy high.

I understand the occasional one for fellow board members,but we are getting ones for the corner LCS in a town I've never heard of,to a person we all don't know?

I've got problems too ,do I come on here and ask for a charity thread? No! We all have problems.

So what gets under everyone's fingernails? Birthday threads! How sad ones life must be to be so worried about birthday threads.

I understand the occasional one for fellow board members,but we are getting ones for the corner LCS in a town I've never heard of,to a person we all don't know?

I've got problems too ,do I come on here and ask for a charity thread? No! We all have problems.

So what gets under everyone's fingernails? Birthday threads! How sad ones life must be to be so worried about birthday threads.

And - gasp - movies and TV shows and games being posted associated with comic book characters.

:ohnoez:

And - gasp - movies and TV shows and games being posted associated with comic book characters.

:ohnoez:

God forbid! :eyeroll:

No.

doh!

Frankly, I get tired of people whining about this.

One single thread would destroy the point of it, as would a sub forum.

At work, or other areas in real life, when somebody has a birthday, do you pull them aside and wish them a happy birthday in a side room, or just say it as the day unfolds?

Not visiting CG because of the birthday threads is anybody's choice, but seems :screwy: to me.

It's hardly difficult to pick out the threads you want to investigate.

I really hope this is not directed at me and my charity thread. While he may not be a board member, he is a member of the comic book community as a shop owner. And multiple board members on here have set up at conventions, large and small, where he has set up.

No.

doh!

At work, or other areas in real life, when somebody has a birthday, do you pull them aside and wish them a happy birthday in a side room, or just say it as the day unfolds?

Not visiting CG because of the birthday threads is anybody's choice, but seems :screwy: to me.

But at work, do they also wheel out the same dried up old birthday cake and cards and just cross off the last name and add the new person?

Because the majority of the posts in the birthday threads are just that...same old meme with a new name. It's hardly personal.

No.

doh!

I've been on other boards that used the single thread model for birthdays and it worked just fine.

It doesn't seem to work here and that's fine too. These things have a way of working themselves out.

No.

doh!

But at work, do they also wheel out the same dried up old birthday cake and cards and just cross off the last name and add the new person?

Because the majority of the posts in the birthday threads are just that...same old meme with a new name. It's hardly personal.

lol

While the number of individual birthday threads can be overwhelming on any given day, there are more annoying things occupying space in Comics General.

To me, the bigger annoyances are:

- eBay person_without_enough_empathying and moaning threads that only effect the individual. Make some friends. person_without_enough_empathy and moan to them in PM. :makepoint:

- AF Scam threads. We get it. They exist. :news: You're not getting a F AF15 for $2,000. :news:

- "why don't people package books like I do? :frustrated: " complaint threads.

- Charity/fundraiser threads - yeah, they are starting to become more rampant for random things that don't really involve this place and shouldn't be here. (shrug)

- Random "life event statements, ponderings and general thoughts".... :gossip: no one cares. Stop creating new threads.

- A noob creating a new thread where there is an existing thread on Page 2 of Comics General with 120 pages of posts answering his mind-blowing, I can't believe no one has thought of this before question.

I think those types of threads deserve a subforum first. :cloud9: