• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Auction: Thoughts?

231 posts in this topic

Hey Imran :hi:

No offense taken whatsoever (thumbs u I just figured I'd sidestep the part about value since it was already covered better than I'd have been able to. IMO it's all pretty subjective and I definitely didn't mean to imply that anyone who posted was right or wrong. I've learned when it comes to OA when talking about a piece that doesn't have any good comps to look at, you can ask multiple experts and all can have different answers. Either way I'm glad I got this one :grin:

Nostalgia is the number one factor that drives collectors. If you spot your true grail, and have the budget, then go after it.

When something goes for more than what the market thinks, we usually forget that there is an under bidder that probably has the same nostalgic sweet spot as the winning bidder.

Congratulations to all buyers and sellers.

Cheers!

N.

This is bullseye, exactly on target.

It always takes at least 2 to create a bidding war and escalate prices.

It's generally an emotional connection (nostalgia) that creates the desire for a person to spend hundreds if not thousands or tens/hundreds of thousands on a collectible.

Sure, there's always the "investment" perspective, but most of the time it's fandom

The one piece I was watching carefully in this auction was the ASTONISHING X-MEN #32 COVER. I am not familiar with PHIL JIMENEZ work, but I really liked the image on it. Sadly I didn't get home in time to bid. :sorry:

That's the problem with "watching" and attempting to "Snipe" many times it's just good to put forth your "best efforts" bid or something close to that so you can't have 20/20 hindsight or regret in cases such as forgetting, being inaccessible or even if your system goes down and you're not able to bid. Sometimes sitting on the sidelines is riddled with unforeseen problems and hindsight regrets. I'm not saying get in a bidding war nor place a bid where you put your max amount that could get teased up to the point where you're potentially paying more than you could/should have, but I'd always say put a safety bid down, especially if you know yourself and situation and there's a chance you might not be available for live bidding at the close of an auction, be it here, Heritage or eBay.

That X-Men cover by Phil Jimenez was one of those pieces that went for a great deal where I'm sure the seller, if he knew it would sell for that amount it closed at would not have consigned it.

Nope, no shipping email. Since last time it took so long, this time I FEDEXed a certified (bank) check the day after the auction. And talked to them the day after they got it to make sure they processed it as immediately available funds. Nada so far.

So much for great customer service and speedy delivery.

It takes a lot longer with a check, my check has not even cashed yet!

I must say I have never felt in a 'rush' to get the art, it will come when it comes; its not like I need it for anything!

It wasn't a question of rush to get the art - more of an issue that previously it took so long that I practically forget I won the item. You would think that paying by CC or bank check would at least lessen the delay. I guess for even bank checks it doesn't. Well, I'll go back to my usual methods the next auction then.

Nope, no shipping email. Since last time it took so long, this time I FEDEXed a certified (bank) check the day after the auction. And talked to them the day after they got it to make sure they processed it as immediately available funds. Nada so far.

The check doesn't go directly to the Clink office, it goes to a Bank dropbox or something like that.

hmm.. I am normally patient but hearing about people receiving their art surprised me. I "paid" via the proceeds of the stuff I consigned with them. In theory that should be instant payment! Have not heard a thing about shipment.

Malvin

I "paid" via the proceeds of the stuff I consigned with them. In theory that should be instant payment!

Probably not. You don't have settled credit until the other parties pay ComicLink. Who knows what the clock is on that, some fast, some slow, some credit, some personal check, etc?

The quickest I have found is basically checking out and paying with credit card as soon as I win the last item I'm interested in; check has always been slower

I got my HA stuff last week, still one more time payment to them for the auction before that one! It never ends!

...still one more time payment to them for the auction before that one! It never ends!

*chuckle* Nothing personal DJ but one of my concerns is how much leverage is hidden in 2015 prices. (Or substitute any recent year.) Between Malvin's 'store credit', Lucky's credit card payment and Doc's time payments...well thank all of ya'll for confirming this isn't simply a game of BSD large wire transfers :)

The check doesn't go directly to the Clink office, it goes to a Bank dropbox or something like that.

Haven't checked that but as an FYI I did call CLink the day after they received the check and they confirmed that they had received payment and credited my account as fully paid--which as they tell me freed it up for the shipping dept to put it in the queue for shipping. That was last Tuesday. Hasn't been shipped yet.

I "paid" via the proceeds of the stuff I consigned with them. In theory that should be instant payment!

Probably not. You don't have settled credit until the other parties pay ComicLink. Who knows what the clock is on that, some fast, some slow, some credit, some personal check, etc?

I thought about that, but that implies that I bear the payment risk. If it is a 6 figure piece I understand, but it's only a few thousand dollars.

Malvin