• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alamo City Comic Con -- October 28-30, 2016

118 posts in this topic

Either or for me.......... There are plenty of cool places nearer than Pappas that will save us time for those dealing at the show. I know how important that extra hour or two of sleep or downtime is for most of us.

Either or for me.......... There are plenty of cool places nearer than Pappas that will save us time for those dealing at the show. I know how important that extra hour or two of sleep or downtime is for most of us.

I'm completely open to venue or Fri over Sat, I'd just like to have a nice evening out with as many folks as we can muster. (thumbs u And I completely agree about the extra downtime, especially at a giant show like this one. I think that is probably one reason why these are usually scheduled for Saturday night, so a good solid night of sleep can be had heading into the melee of Saturday sales, but I am really ok with a Friday night deal too.

Do you mind working on the logistics of the local arrangements? I don't know the lay of the land there.

We can make the call on Friday. I will be at the show all day that day and can poll people and we can decide.

Worst case scenario, Goodtime Charlies, where we went last year is always good, and has table space to accommodate a crowd. There are options at the Pearl area -- Tacos y Tequila, Botika, Boiler House, Down on Grayson, Josephine Street, Sam's Burger Joint. Downtown will be crowded, as I believe UTSA has a home game on Saturday, but a few miles up river should be clear of those crowds. Most of those places don't require reservations, but we can always call ahead when we know how many people we have.

That time on a Friday night, there will be an hour wait, at least, and last time I checked, they don't take reservations.

We can make the call on Friday. I will be at the show all day that day and can poll people and we can decide.

Worst case scenario, Goodtime Charlies, where we went last year is always good, and has table space to accommodate a crowd. There are options at the Pearl area -- Tacos y Tequila, Botika, Boiler House, Down on Grayson, Josephine Street, Sam's Burger Joint. Downtown will be crowded, as I believe UTSA has a home game on Saturday, but a few miles up river should be clear of those crowds. Most of those places don't require reservations, but we can always call ahead when we know how many people we have.

Any of that would work, I liked Goodtime Charlies. I would just ask that if you are interested in joining us let me know so I can add you to the running list in the dedicated dinner thread. That way we can figure on how many we have to seat if we need to call ahead.

I'm going to miss the show this year -- even holding a ticket. Heading to chicago to watch a baseball game friday night instead. :)

Got a ticket for the game, or just going for the atmosphere?

Going to cheer for the Tribe? Why did I ask that - of course you are!

Day 1 done....dealers out and about and buying......... Superman 1 CGC NG incomplete....SOLD. Time to rest up and recharge and out the door in 8 hours for day 2. The Valiant reps are here and are awesome guys.

Back in Kansas and dragging @ss this morning after landing at midnight. I had a really fun weekend, but that was more because of the company I got to hang around with rather than the show itself. Some takeaways from the weekend, in no particular order:

As far as our weekend take, it was down considerably vs last year's show. I talked to several dealers, and got responses all over the map. Some did really well and others did poorly, with some others inbetween. I'm glad for those that did well, and just wish we had had a bit better weekend of sales.

It was great to hang out with Black Cat Comics (bcc here) and Bubbagump and his wife a bit, and to get to see the guys from Duncanville Bookstore, THB, MYNAMEISLEGION, Weird Paper, Gsims, Buffyfan, Abel, Cory, and others I'm probably forgetting. Chatting and BSing inbetween selling and looking at books is what makes conventions irreplaceable by online sales. Sure, you can get great books online, but you don't get the camaraderie of a fun weekend in a fun city with some cool people.

Unfortunately, with apologies to many of those cool people, we had to wimp out on the board dinner due to exhaustion on Friday. It was a weekend of hard work and much less sleep than my aging body has become accustomed to.

Apparently the con itself is getting hammered pretty hard online by attendees. The reviews on the ACCC FB page are less than flattering, and I've seen a couple of other con review sites where attendees are complaining about poor organization, rude and ill-informed volunteers, and bad layout of the con floor. The show floor was considerably smaller than last year, largely due to the construction on the other half of the convention center from what we heard, and the aisles could have been planned a bit better. In many ways this show seemed to take a step backwards from last year, and many of these issues should not still be happening in a more mature show.

Not sure if we will do 2017 at this point. We will think about it when we have more energy.

Apparently the con itself is getting hammered pretty hard online by attendees. The reviews on the ACCC FB page are less than flattering, and I've seen a couple of other con review sites where attendees are complaining about poor organization, rude and ill-informed volunteers, and bad layout of the con floor. The show floor was considerably smaller than last year, largely due to the construction on the other half of the convention center from what we heard, and the aisles could have been planned a bit better. In many ways this show seemed to take a step backwards from last year, and many of these issues should not still be happening in a more mature show.

Not sure if we will do 2017 at this point. We will think about it when we have more energy.

I had toyed with the idea of switching my weekend call responsibilities to allow for a trip down for this one, but after reading your review and the ones on FB--I'm glad that I didn't pull the trigger on a trade.