• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is Up With This @#$%ing Auction?!?!

61 posts in this topic

If you knew just a part of the guy's story you seriously wouldn't be wasting time worrying about how much money he was losing on eBay.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

yeahok.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif You want me to spill some guy's personal info on here? If he made it public that'd be one thing, but he doesn't, so a lot of what I know about him is staying with me. I was friendly with him for a lot of years and did a lot of business with him. Based on that I'm not going to tell tales out of school...

All it boils down to, beyond the juicy details, is that the guy is a character and he can afford to lose whatever money he loses every year on ebay- as is also evidenced by the fact that he's been doing it for years and hasn't been kicked off for not paying his bills.

You're the one that brought it up. I don't expect anything from you, but why dangle the carrot in the first place? That's a little third grade IMO. I've got a secret that makes you wrong, but I'm not telling...seems a little silly.

No offense meant to Rob, but I gotta agree with OG on this one. If you're not telling, why bring up the fact that you know something you're not telling?

If you knew just a part of the guy's story you seriously wouldn't be wasting time worrying about how much money he was losing on eBay.

yeahok.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif You want me to spill some guy's personal info on here? If he made it public that'd be one thing, but he doesn't, so a lot of what I know about him is staying with me. I was friendly with him for a lot of years and did a lot of business with him. Based on that I'm not going to tell tales out of school...

All it boils down to, beyond the juicy details, is that the guy is a character and he can afford to lose whatever money he loses every year on ebay- as is also evidenced by the fact that he's been doing it for years and hasn't been kicked off for not paying his bills.

You're the one that brought it up. I don't expect anything from you, but why dangle the carrot in the first place? That's a little third grade IMO. I've got a secret that makes you wrong, but I'm not telling...seems a little silly.

Well, it might be, although it's completely unintentional if it is. Dangling some big "secret" wasn't the point at all. The point was simply this: I wanted to say SOMETHING that might make people step back from the endless posts about the guy. I was hoping, wrongly I guess, that the fact I could vouch for him in some way might mean something. Oh well...

Basically, you're right, I shouldn't say anything at all, but it can be a very frustrating experience reading this stuff since the picture people are working off of is so incomplete it's not even funny.

it can be a very frustrating experience reading this stuff since the picture people are working off of is so incomplete it's not even funny.

I think you just summed up about 80% of the threads on these boards. grin.gif

it can be a very frustrating experience reading this stuff since the picture people are working off of is so incomplete it's not even funny.

I think you just summed up about 80% of the threads on these boards. grin.gif

Now yer both annoying me. tongue.gif

No offense meant to Rob, but I gotta agree with OG on this one. If you're not telling, why bring up the fact that you know something you're not telling?

I'm not going to take offense with any of this. I know I'm in a tough place... it's just these "ha ha fredkarger" posts get real old after a while. He spent a lot of money with me back in the day and always treated me fairly, so it's frustrating to see him trotted out like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person all the time (a nut maybe, but an insufficiently_thoughtful_person- no)... confused-smiley-013.gif

Well let me add something about Brad.

Yes he has/had some very nice books. Yes he is eccentric. He is a MAJOR collector of Marilyn Monroe stuff, probably has more comic book artwork then you can imagine and STILL OWES ME $300 FROM ALMOST 2 YEARS AGO FROM AN AVENGERS 4 HE SOLD ME AS NM. Not only was it graded 7.5 which I had told him when I got it wasn't nm BUT it came back restored. Now it wasn't cheap and he hasn't sent me a dime in about 5 or 6 months. I have contacted him about once a month. He was paying me $100 maybe $200 when he "could" I have been to his home and "neatness" isn't one of his strong points. So if ANYONE can get the balance of my money back I would appreciate it. He was paid RIGHT after the original auction in full.

So if he has the money to "waste" he sure isn't paying on his debt owed. In my view he is a piece of @#$%.

Thanks,

Steve

yeahok.gif

Well, it might be, although it's completely unintentional if it is. Dangling some big "secret" wasn't the point at all. The point was simply this: I wanted to say SOMETHING that might make people step back from the endless posts about the guy. I was hoping, wrongly I guess, that the fact I could vouch for him in some way might mean something. Oh well...

Basically, you're right, I shouldn't say anything at all, but it can be a very frustrating experience reading this stuff since the picture people are working off of is so incomplete it's not even funny.

I've been out shoveling snow and just came in to see the developments in the thread. Perhaps I should address some points since I started the thread. My intention was never to make anybody look like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. If you read my 500+ posts on these boards I don't think I have disrespected anybody - ever. Nor do I have plans to.

My main point was to express my disbelief that this guy can post the same comic for these extended periods for what is CLEARLY a loss of money. I'm not sure I've seen anything quite to this extent on ebay before. Rob, I know you know the guy and you're protecting him from what can seem like attacks, and I respect that, but if you look at it from another point of view, we certainly are curious why somebody would do this. At your request, respecting his privacy seems reasonable, but let's keep in mind that ebay auctions are public auctions and anything that goes on there is up for discussion. Therefore, being civil is what we should desire to become. So I will not send him the polite email of inquiry I was planning to send. In any event, there are humorous aspects to this whole event, and I admit that seeing this in my weekly searches is tiresome, but ultimately I do wish his auctions would just end for the good of him and everybody else!

Joe

I'm so glad someone has made a post on this goofy [#@$%!!!] seller! I totally agree with all of you. How many of these Marvel Fanfare 1s have we seen and the list goes on and on from this pudgy faced maniac? Someone needs to make a large poster-sized billboard that reads "Get your frikken' auctions off of eBay already!" and shove it up his pudgy jackal sized [#@$%!!!].

What wrong information are we working off of?? confused-smiley-013.gif

The guy lists the same [#@$%!!!] over and over and over and over and over again. He NEVER lowers his asking price. He NEVER changes the title or description in the auction.

What kind of human would want to deliberately waste money for no reason?

It's 100% clear that there isn't a market for what he sells for the prices he is asking, so why doesn't he quit wasting his time and our time by listing his [#@$%!!!] over and over??

The person in question has serious health problems. Both physical and mental.

If he gets a kick out of placing stupid ebay auctions,and it somehow brings some joy to his otherwise dreary world,why not let him enjoy it.

If you don't like his auctions,don't bid.

Now that you know a bit more about him,why not give him a beak and leave him alone.

There are more than enough real crooks out there to keep you busy exposing frauds.

As far as the restored book goes,with only one side of the story being told,i can't make an opinion. Perhaps he has sent what he thinks is a fair amount,and the buyer disputes that. I really don't think he sold a restored book as unrestored knowingly.

Do a nice deed and let it go.

Let me reply to the book restored.

I am sure he didn't send me the book knowing it was restored. The point was it was almost 2 years ago, he was paid immediately and he STILL owes me $300 back. I think I have been patient enough letting it go this long. I even offered to take it in trade for artwork which he hasn't done. So I should just let it go that he owes me that money? Perhaps you would like to finish paying it back? And please feel free to email him to get "his" side of the story.

Steve

Hey,Rube

No,I don't think you should forget your money.

I was referring to the people that are making fun of his auctions,not to you.You should continue to do whatever it takes to reach a mutual agreement.Sorry for the misunderstanding.

if he wants wacky prices, seems that listing some in a store may make more sense. it'll cost less at least.

as for the slabbed robot book --- $20 doesn't seem like so much, but it'll probably sell to a haring fan one of these days and he doesn't even have that in the title

I voted yes on the Greggy poll! hi.gif

And for comicbookguy's question to how long it has been up:

My records show I bought from fredkarger:

Title: DEFENDERS #14.JULY,1974.CGC 9.2!!! NM-! C-OFF ebay item# 2150070598

for $27.50 ($35.30 with shipping) on 12/23/2002

so maybe he put up the 8.5 shortly thereafter? That makes is over 2 years...

Fred Karger = Brad Savage and really was pleasant to deal with. I just heard of his eccentricities 2nd hand from forumites who have seen him at the NYC National cons burning money ($100 bills?) or was it GSX-men 1/Hulk 181 copies he was setting on fire? The story embellishes each time it is told. I've also heard he is a former associate of Joe Koch and the seller known as cgc*comics/stckwizard, but this rumor has never been substantiated with facts?

0-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brad Savage was an aasociate of Joe Koch,.....AHHHHHH,..now it makes sense !!!!!! From what Ive heard,..THIS GUY HAS SAME MAJOR,..HARD-CORE,...TRULY INCREDIBLE ORIGINAL ART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!