• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serious opinions from GA dealers and "big book" owners needed

32 posts in this topic

who is matt nelson?

+1

I just Googled "who is Matt Nelson?", and it turns out he's the son of Ricky Nelson.

Who knew?

I'm a travelin' man, made a lot of stops at cons all over this world.

And at every stop, I pressed at least one lovely book.

i went to a geekin' party, to thumb up some old books,

a chance to cherry-pick the best ones, and make 'em new again

when I went back to the geekin' party, they all knew my name

but no one recognized the books, they didn't look the same

who is matt nelson?

+1

I just Googled "who is Matt Nelson?", and it turns out he's the son of Ricky Nelson.

Who knew?

I'm a travelin' man, made a lot of stops at cons all over this world.

And at every stop, I pressed at least one lovely book.

i went to a geekin' party, to thumb up some old books,

a chance to cherry-pick the best ones, and make 'em new again

when I went back to the geekin' party, they all knew my name

but no one recognized the books, they didn't look the same

:golfclap:

who is matt nelson?

+1

Who knew?

What are the chances, amazing! :o

Actually, I'm disappointed. :(

I thought he was related to the real guitar god Bill Nelson, genius of the esoteric 70's Brit. rock band Be Bop Deluxe...

A couple of weeks ago, I met with Matt Nelson and left him my Tec 27 for resto evaluation. It's presently a 6.5 Extensive (P), with a "TRIMMED" designation because of a pretty significant right edge trim, about one-eighth of an inch of the cover and all wraps. Matt tells me he can restore the right edge material so that the book appears "whole", but that the "TRIMMED" designation would remain, and on re-grading the book should be a 6.5 A-5."TRIMMED". BUT, he's advising me to NOT have the restoration done. He says that if I simply have the book re-graded as is, it should come back 6.5 A-3 "TRIMMED" as a result of the work that's already been done on it. He thinks I'd be sacrificing a great deal of monetary value in the book, maybe $30 K, just for the aesthetic benefit of the book looking "complete" after the right edge restoration. I was thinking that the appearance of the book would be so improved by the right edge resto, it would trump the resto bump from A-3 to A-5. He disagrees on that point. What are your thoughts? Should I have the restoration done, or not? Thanks!

He's suggesting that you not pay him several thousands of dollars. I'd listen.

Yep. Succinctly put and correct!

who is matt nelson?

+1

Who knew?

What are the chances, amazing! :o

Actually, I'm disappointed. :(

I thought he was related to the real guitar god Bill Nelson, genius of the esoteric 70's Brit. rock band Be Bop Deluxe...

Wow, Be Bop Deluxe. I reviewed them as a teenage rock n roll reporter waaaay back in the day.