• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Current sized bags and boards. So tight a fit the board is bowed

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am new to using the current sized bags and boards. I have always used silver aged bags and boards for my books, mostly for the consistency in size in my boxes but I admit I also like the extra space all around the book to help protect it.

My partner in comic buying prefers the current sized bags and boards for the modern books as he likes how they look ( the comic goes right to the edge of the board in the bag ) so I decided to buy a bunch to bag and board several hundred new books over the next few days.

I am finding the boards are often so tight a fit into the bag that the backing board has a slight bow to it. Getting a book into this is a challenge and I am hesitant to use them when they are like this.

One board doesn't fit into one bag but will fit the next one from the very same package of bags.

The consistency is awful.

I have never experienced this using silver age bags/boards in years of use.

My questions:

1. Do I just have a bad batch of several hundred bags / or boards or are current sized bags and boards always this awful?

2. Why does anyone use these current sizes? In my opinion the awful inconsistent fit is just a complete hassle and a chore.

One of the big problems with comic supplies is large variances in quality between different manufacturers. Also, there are quite often inconsistencies within a product line or even a package.

I don't like or use current sized products, they're too tight... even if all the bags and boards fit together.

I don't think anything looks better if you are using regular bags and boards then 5 SA boards, and one SA bag. All my books are sold like that. I have had some SA boards not fit in SA bags, it happens from time to time.

I get what your partner is saying, but if he mixes in moderns with SA size inventory, it doesn't look as nice as if it was all Silver size...try and convert him.

Jim

Sound like a quality control problem with the bags, if you bought them locally I would return them to where you purchased them. If you bought them online, email the seller and ask for replacements that are the correct size.

I had this problem with silver size bags a year ago, called my internet supplier and they sent me another case of 1000 bags at no charge plus an apology.

I just started using current size MyLites2 and half backs for moderns. They fit better, look better but are more expensive. I know mschmidt will hate the fact that I'm using current size bags and boards, but they're working for me.

Non-mylar bags and boards are too hit and miss for me as far as consistency is concerned. Plus they wrinkle and I hate wrinkles.

Tell your partner he is wrong ( :hi: Dave)!!!

Silver is the way I go even for new books. It just fits everything better in my opinion (I don't like how they have that extra inch to move side to side in the box for moderns). I have had the same issue you are talking about but it came down to mixing and matching a terrible boards that were so cheap they were only used for fodder books

Tell your partner he is wrong ( :hi: Dave)!!!

Silver is the way I go even for new books. It just fits everything better in my opinion (I don't like how they have that extra inch to move side to side in the box for moderns). I have had the same issue you are talking about but it came down to mixing and matching a terrible boards that were so cheap they were only used for fodder books

+1. I much prefer the silver bag/board combo even for moderns. Better corner protection, easier to get in the bag without color flaking along the edges.

If using a 700 bag, you need a 675 board.

I use a 725/700 combo myself on 90% of my books. Need a bigger bag for rolled spines/and many DC Giants, but most SA books fit fine. I have a bunch of older 775/750or725 combos but am phasing those out as I can.

What were the actual dimensions printed on the bags and boards?

manufacturer?

I imagine these were poly bags?

Yes all were poly bags.

My first purchase was bags made by BCW 6 7/8" x 10", the boards from a manufacturer called Vintage( never heard of them before but it was all the LCS had ) and dimensions listed were 6 3/4" x 10 1/2"

These had some issues fitting so I went out and bought more at a different LCS.

Second purchase was more bags from BCW and boards from Comic Defense which list measurements as 6 3/4" x 10 1/2". I still have had issues.

Third purchase was bags by Comic Defense and the dimensions are 6 7/8" x 10 1/2". These combined with the Comic Defense boards have been the best solution as I would hope bags and boards made by the same manufacturer should work.

(thumbs u

What were the actual dimensions printed on the bags and boards?

manufacturer?

I imagine these were poly bags?

Yes all were poly bags.

My first purchase was bags made by BCW 6 7/8" x 10", the boards from a manufacturer called Vintage( never heard of them before but it was all the LCS had ) and dimensions listed were 6 3/4" x 10 1/2"

A lot of readers probably thought you were using Mylar, however the QC for Mylar is such that I have never had a complaint of inaccurate bag sizing. For moderns stored in Mylar, I recommend the 725M2 + 700HB combo that many other boardies mentioned.

Most likely the regular poly bag manufacturing process experiences some drift in the settings which translates to larger variance in bag size. As such the 6-7/8" bag is simply too small. BCW makes a 7" wide bag which uses the same size board which should have worked dimensionally, if not chemically. (I really dislike their coated SBS boards due to their rapid acidification)

My partner in comic buying prefers the current sized bags and boards for the modern books as he likes how they look ( the comic goes right to the edge of the board in the bag ) so I decided to buy a bunch to bag and board several hundred new books over the next few days.

I forgot to add that allowing the comic to go the edge almost eliminates any impact protection you would have from the board itself. Especially for those not well versed at shipping, it makes a huge difference.